Question on timetable (1 Viewer)

Icee_tee

HSC
hey, i'm thinking of going to unsw next year and I don't know much about how timetable works in uni.
1, When you first enrol, do you get a set timetable which lasts for an entire semester or can you choose your lectures every week depending on how busy you are?
2, Is it possible to cram your lectures or tutorials in 4 or 3 days then leave the other days free?

thanks

qwerty44

HSC
From what I have read around here you can choose your timetable. There was another thread about someone wanting to do the same thing, cram all in a few days. Don't take my word for it though. :D

garrry

HSC
1) You choose a timetable which lasts for the entire semester

2) Yes

D94

HSC
N/A
2, Is it possible to cram your lectures or tutorials in 4 or 3 days then leave the other days free?
Depends on what program and courses you do. Good luck trying to cram first year engineering (depending on which stream) into 3 days, or even 4.

Icee_tee

HSC
Depends on what program and courses you do. Good luck trying to cram first year engineering (depending on which stream) into 3 days, or even 4.
whyyyy............ i will be doing civil engineering. is it going to be that hard to even cram into 4?

garrry

HSC
First year engineering has 24 contact hours plus any additional hours for breaks (its not likely that you will get classes one after the other so it becomes more like 30) so you will probably be going 5. I have not heard of any first year engineers that go 4 days a week unless they skip lectures.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
lol you are going to have so many hours per week with civil eng. i highly doubt you can get 4 days. there are just too many contact hours (24-30 hours/week)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
hey, i'm thinking of going to unsw next year and I don't know much about how timetable works in uni.
1, When you first enrol, do you get a set timetable which lasts for an entire semester or can you choose your lectures every week depending on how busy you are?

thanks
1. You 'enrol' into a lecture but realistically you can go to any of the other lectures as picks your fancy. For example, there were two streams in MATH1241 and I decided to pop into the other stream which I didn't enrol in - just to see what the other lecturers were like.

2. Figure it out yourself. That is, know what subjects you'll be doing and then play around with class times here and make a feasible timetable: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/subjectSearch.html

or, just type in your subjects and see what possible timetables you can get:

http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/

Icee_tee

HSC
1. You 'enrol' into a lecture but realistically you can go to any of the other lectures as picks your fancy. For example, there were two streams in MATH1241 and I decided to pop into the other stream which I didn't enrol in - just to see what the other lecturers were like.

2. Figure it out yourself. That is, know what subjects you'll be doing and then play around with class times here and make a feasible timetable: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/subjectSearch.html

or, just type in your subjects and see what possible timetables you can get:

http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/
that's very helpful!
i'm wondering, if there is one day where I have just 1 tutorial (maths), it is possible to skip it? How long does tutorial go for? or this is just a really bad idea?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Of course you can skip it, but why would you do that? Tutorials are your free ticket to getting solutions to problems you had trouble with during the week.

Tutorials are an hour long. It's a bad idea to skip them, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY maths ones - because it's an hour of your tutor doing the harder problems that you'll have trouble with.

Plus, class tests are done in tutes.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In tutes, they mark attendance.

If you were to try and appeal your result (because of something like sickness), they will see your absence and most likely reject any application.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
You have to attend at least 80% of them in order to pass your course as well. You can sometimes get around that rule but that really depends on your tutor.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I missed three tutes in Finance last semester but I didn't fail the subject. So... yeah. Might be 1st year leniency or something.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

thanks
I like your Username.

eggs4days

HSC
Uni Grad
hi, offers come out tonight. will we be able to organize timetables tonight also after enrollment?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
hi, offers come out tonight. will we be able to organize timetables tonight also after enrollment?
iirc, yes. Because you'll accept the offer and then you can enrol in classes over the internet.

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
How fast are the classes filling up?
I want to choose classes right now but i haven't decided which program I will choose for my electrical engineering course

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How fast are the classes filling up?
I want to choose classes right now but i haven't decided which program I will choose for my electrical engineering course
Depends. If you're doing a popular degree... then they'll fill up quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)