Question regarding law and career opportunities (1 Viewer)

DudeLove

HSC
I'm in Year 11 and thinking of doing law after high school.
The questions I have are: Is criminology a different course to law?
Do I need to do law to do criminology?
Which is harder/easier/better? In terms of course difficulty and job opportunities after graduating.

Thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, you don't need to do law to do Criminology. They're different courses.

As for harder/easier - I have no idea, I've never done Criminology.

Better? Well, they're not really the same, so it's hard to compare apples and oranges.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I'm in Year 11 and thinking of doing law after high school.
The questions I have are: Is criminology a different course to law?
Do I need to do law to do criminology?
Which is harder/easier/better? In terms of course difficulty and job opportunities after graduating.

Thanks

yes criminology is an entirely different course to law.
no you dont need to do law to do criminology.

harder: Law most definitely.
easier: i'll let you use deduction.

having a law degree will probably give you 100 times more job opportunities than just a criminology degree.
there isn't much demand for 'criminologists'. only a few hundred if that in Government bodies, and a hundred or so in the different universities. (tutors included).
they say that a degree in criminology will aid you in getting into other jobs though (more of a competitive advantage than anything else).

lawstu

HSC
Right off the bat, I'm going to sternly advise against doing a degree in criminology.

Unless that's precisely what you want and you want all that goes with that...

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
done a legal studies degree (had a lot of subjects with criminology students [it was practically the same course])

doing law now (I did not do my previous degree because I needed to do a degree before doing law, it was because my Year 12 ATAR was shocking)... I can tell you that criminology is a billion times easier than law... criminology is also more fun and more thought provoking

law = greater career opportunities... criminology = working as a shitty social worker, court registrar, etc... (NOTE! there are certainly good jobs you can get with a criminology degree... they are few and hard to come by but... eg: ASIO, AFP, Australia Crime Commission, Adult Parole Board, Corrections, etc... with further education you can branch off to become a forensic psychologist or you can branch off to do a Juris Doctor... There are heaps of good opportunities but getting into these positions require you to weather strong competition... The employment market for law is just as competitive if you ask me...)

(One of my mate who graduated with me is now working with the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor as a Policy Analyst... so don't be fooled you can get some mad jobs...)

law = better hands down... (if you can handle it)... (but that's just my opinion you may end up doing criminology and really like it and become really successful in it...)

only need to do an undergrad course (and it can be any bachelor degree) first if you want to do a Juris Doctor... other than that you can get by with just doing an LLB (undergrad law)... Juris Doctor = LLB that cost 3 times more... :lol:

***NOTE! that might look like jibberish... I don't care, I'm doing 10 things at once***

Last edited:

Jinks

HSC
If you want to do law as a lawyer do a law degree over criminology every day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)