Question!! (1 Viewer)

Salehhh

HSC
Is it possible to get a B6 or a high B5 in Eng.Std at a school ranked 605 while ranked 2/22??

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Possible, but very unlikely. It would even be unlikely for the person ranked first to get a high band 5.

williamdaft

HSC
Yes it's possible, but as mentioned above, it's extremely unlikely. It's possible if your cohort absolutely kicks ass this year if you and the person ranked 1st both achieve high band5 / band 6, and you receive those marks for the assessment mark.

pHyRe

HSC
it depends on how you go in the HSC and how the guy who came 1st goes.

if he gets 92 or 91. then yea, you have a decent chance of getting 88+ as long as you didnt mess up the exam.

Salehhh

HSC
Yeh but i don't get why it's so difficult to obtain a B6 in standard... For example; if someone is confident that they done really well in the hsc exam and thinks he could get a B6, but he's in a low ranked school... Why would it be unlikely to get B6??

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Yeh but i don't get why it's so difficult to obtain a B6 in standard... For example; if someone is confident that they done really well in the hsc exam and thinks he could get a B6, but he's in a low ranked school... Why would it be unlikely to get B6??
Because generally in Standard it usually contains a weaker cohort i.e they don't care about their education or getting a decent ATAR. That is why it's harder to get a band 6 since the alignment is terrible compared to Advanced.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
It's very unlikely for ANYONE, regardless of their school rank, to get a B6 in standard. It's something like 64 band 6's for standard every year.

Salehhh

HSC
Because generally in Standard it usually contains a weaker cohort i.e they don't care about their education or getting a decent ATAR. That is why it's harder to get a band 6 since the alignment is terrible compared to Advanced.

But if there's more people that do bad in the Std eng, that means the average will be lower, and say i do really well, wouldn't that mean my alignment will be good since i've exceeded the average by a lot??

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Theoretically yes. But you have to get a high rank and do really well in externals.

NoIdea77

HSC
Not sure if this is true but I heard that all english marks are able to be compared meaning a 90 in Standard is mean't to be on par with a 90 in advanced and they both scale the same afterwards (in terms of what this means for your ATAR). This is why there is so few band 6's in standard as getting a band 6 in it means you're on par with B6 advanced students too.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if this is true but I heard that all english marks are able to be compared meaning a 90 in Standard is mean't to be on par with a 90 in advanced and they both scale the same afterwards (in terms of what this means for your ATAR). This is why there is so few band 6's in standard as getting a band 6 in it means you're on par with B6 advanced students too.
Standard and Advanced Engrish SCALE the same, but they ALIGN very differently!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
But if there's more people that do bad in the Std eng, that means the average will be lower, and say i do really well, wouldn't that mean my alignment will be good since i've exceeded the average by a lot??
No. All it means is that your competition is crap, so your mark is not worth a lot compared to the competition of Advanced students. This is why aligning is terrible.

To get a Band 6 in Standard English, you are in the top 0.16% of the cohort, meaning that you are not far off a state rank:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2011_12_15130.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)