Questions about acceleration? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard about this 'acceleration', which I perceive is when you complete you Prelim/ HSC while not actually in that year. What are the rules on this? Do all schools offer it? Can you do this acceleration starting in any high school year?

Just curious. I've never heard about this at my school, and there's people who could easily be doing HSC work in some subjects, after all, alot of people I know are working a few years above their year level.

Someone needs to explain the whole concept to me....

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
some schools don't offer it. it's up to the teachers if they're willing to teach people outside class time etc. i started acceleration in maths in year nine. so you could in any year, but usually year nine is the youngest from what i've heard, if you're accelerating just for one/two subjects, not the whole course.

acceleration is basically working a year+ above your actual cohort and completing the hsc for that specific subject before the rest of your cohort.

Brontecat

HSC
my school does it where you do double the amount of work in one year e.g. 10 periods of bio as opposed to the regular 5 so that you complete the course in one year

K

khorne

It depends.

I know my school starts it from year 8 (Well yous kip year 8).

Each subject, except English seems to have a fill in system.
Eg:

Mathematics: You do "ext" mathematics elective in year 7, which covers most of th eyear 8 course, and then skip to year 9.

Science: You do Science 3 instead of Science 4, and Science 3 covers most of the topics in Science 5 as well, and then you do Science 5,7,8 in year 9, which does some year 9 stuff and some year 10 stuff.

English: You just skip a year

Hist/Geo: Same as English

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
When I was in Year 9 and 10, I accelerated Economics (did Prelim in Year 9 and HSC in Year 10). Overall, it was worthwhile in terms of the mark I got and the fact that I now have 2 units to 'fall back on' for my HSC, but the stress and workload was NOT worth it. Especially not in Year 9.

mystuffy

HSC
yeh, i'm doing in the same thing with maths at school. i'm in yr 10 and i will be doing the 2U maths hsc next yr

HSC
We do acceleration from yr8 for 2u only. I'm doing HSC this year for 2U.

Gigacube

HSC
Some schools offer it to a class of students but if you are exceptionally gifted then your school may let you accelerate.

Yes, you can accelerate year 7 - 12 work. It just means you cover year 7 + 8 work in one year. Year 9 & 10 electives can also be accelerated to allow students in year 10 to start a HSC course in one subject or more.

tranx

HSC
Dont bother doing the HSC for 2 unit lol its a really easy cource just know whats up and start ext. 1 and 2 asap. If you actually do that you will have a marginal advantage over the others. I mean, if you don't intend to drop 4 unit (and you shouldn't its not as hard as people make it out to be) then use that time to get a head start =) Thats my advice, but its upto you.

Crimson Cupcake

HSC
Our school has accelerated IPT, where you start the prelim course in yr 9 and do the HSC in year 10. I did it, got. That's not very good by our standards, if you put into perspective that I'm aiming for 99.75. (But then again, the highest in our grade was 94, so it wasn't terrible, I suppose.)

However, I do think it puts less stress on you come HSC year. It means I can do 10 units, and even if I FLUNK two of them, I at least have a backup (admittedly terrible one...) But I have to say, it's not that stressful. I pretty much finished my major project in the week before it was due, and trials and HSC weren't that bad. Actually, come HSC, I was quite relaxed about the whole thing.

jxballistic

HSC
Our school does maths accelerated starting from year 9 with top 60 of our year, and then in year 10 the top 24 of that go off to do the 3unit course. Also, at the end of year 9 top students are also offered to accelerate Business Studies, Chemistry and SDD. Not all schools do it tho.

The concept is to allow students who find the usual stuff too easy to accelerate so they are better challenged. Also to allow them to have an easier year 12.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow my 3.5 year old dead thread has resurfaced.

Long story short, my school doesn't offer acceleration so now I'm just doing Yr 12 all in one hit (Wish I could have gotten one sub out of the way earlier on, but c'est la vie).

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity as a function of time. It is vector. In calculus terms, acceleration is the second derivative of position with respect to time or, alternately, the first derivative of the velocity with respect to time.
Thanks to the most random comment ever made in this forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)