• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions to People With a Religion/No Religion. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Muslim: Somebody who goes to live in other peoples countries but refuses to integrate with or tolerate their way of life. At the same time they demand we tolerate them and make all the changes to accomodate their stoneage way of life.

most muslims are not terrorists, but most terrorists are muslims.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
_dhj_ said:
imo any religion is by definition a flawed belief system. Conversely any belief system that's actually good is not a religion by definition. ;)
I quite liked the way you wrote that. Made me feel there was no need for me to write a response, you've just summed it up quite nicely and creatively.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Serius, this isn't the thread, and in the future you would be best to match such grand statements with more than a statement of flair - a justification or two would be a good start, I would say. Still, as I said, this isn't the thread.

Everyone, if the topic continues to stray into debates that are or have been covered within other threads, I will have to close this particular thread. I do realise that threads such as this are fluid by their very nature, but that still doesn't excuse excessive levels of duplication.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
how isnt it the thread? He made his questions, i answered them. Now if found out the reason why he made the questions was because he wanted to justify his religion above all else, specifically with morals

I question that, islamic morals are primitive at best, they have a stonage prespective on women, rape, domestic abuse, homosexuals, child sex slavery, murder and other religions

if you didnt like my post, delete it, i know it was a bit inflamitory but i wanted to say it

Generator

HSC
N/A
I can't delete something merely because I don't like it, and I'm afraid that, despite sam04u's devious intentions, I do not consider this to be the thread for such debates when they have all been done to death before (the Muslims in Australia thread is a case in point).

If you'd like to make a general statement, please take it elsewhere [iand[/i] be sure to substantiate it. If you'd like to challenge something in particular, then go right ahead, but be sure to keep to confined to the framework provided by sam's initial questions and his subsequent remarks.

L

littlewing69

_dhj_ said:
imo any religion is by definition a flawed belief system. Conversely any belief system that's actually good is not a religion by definition. ;)

the religious implies the institutional, which in turn implies the restrictive, dogmatic and authoritarian. when one refers to 'religions' they're not referring to the spiritual, and the belief systems that expand perspectives rather than inhibit them.
Well yes, if you define religion as insititutional by definition, I agree with you absolutely.

You have to do a 4 year course to teach kindergarten, yet, you don't have to have ANY qualifications to become a religious leader in some faiths.
In most mainstream religions, it is expected that one studies in order to achieve a leadership position. And hey, unless they're harming anyone, why can't people have their wacky beliefs?

L

littlewing69

Nolanistic said:
That's what I'm saying, this crazy counter-culture backlash of religion and 'moralism' that's slowly growing is already STARTING to harm society.

It's only going to get worse. Religion is a drug, it should be regulated.
If you're talking about evangelical Christianity's influence on politics, I agree entirely. Well, not about "regulating" it, but about fighting the Religious Right. On the other hand, there is a diversity of good, loving religions which people subscribe to and manage to be good human beings as well. And that should be celebrated, not belittled.

K

katie_tully

Whoever suggested Buddhism, I don't have a problem with Buddhism. At all. They're peaceful type munchkins. I was refering more to the hardline religions of Christianity, Islam and such. The religions which clearly advocate the killing of others in their doctrines.
And I don't give a crap whether you don't consider the Old Testament as a reference to Christianity.
It is.

Generator

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
You define religion as an institution by definition?

What?
Don't confuse faith and religion, Katie. Though linked, they aren't one and the same.

melb22

HSC
N/A
Question 1:
Do you believe in a God? Which Religion?

God=No. Religion= hinduism. U can be an atheist and still be a hindu, i like that about hinduism

Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)

Yes, it is their life.

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)

No. I dont mind if other do, it's their own life

Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?

Yes

Question 5:
Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.

the idea of god is man made. There is no god.

Question 6:
Have you ever contemplated suicide?

No.

Question 7:(almost done)
Do you believe in legalising Drugs?/or Drugs being optional?

Yes. Things that are legally available can be regulated properly.

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)

No to death sentence. I still think if an adult rapes, that person should not come out of jail, ever.

Question 9:
Are you fine with homosexualism?

Yes.

Question 10:
Would you sacrifice your life for a cause? (list a few)

No.

Question 11: (final)
Have you considered any of the other religious beliefs? seriously?

I have read books on Christianity, islam, buddhism and jainism.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
melb22 said:
Question 1:
Do you believe in a God? Which Religion?

God=No. Religion= hinduism. U can be an atheist and still be a hindu, i like that about hinduism
Ah...what? I don't get it. Isn't atheism a lack of belief in any divine being? Or do you just mean you follow the cultural practices of hinduism without the spiritual beliefs?

melb22

HSC
N/A
kami said:
Ah...what? I don't get it. Isn't atheism a lack of belief in any divine being? Or do you just mean you follow the cultural practices of hinduism without the spiritual beliefs?
There are thousands forms of gods in Hinduism and u can believe in whichever god you want. At the same time u can believe that there is no Devine thing as well. you don’t have to believe in god to be a Hindu. Atheism is more like a subclass of Hinduism.

Hinduism wasn’t started by one single person. It grew slowly and gradually through time allowing all the changes and incorporating all new ideas. There is no One single book were u have to follow steadfast rules. It allows changes at all times. It does not dictate terms to people.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
From Britannica:

Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-"i-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
1 archaic : UNGODLINESS, WICKEDNESS
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Hinduism has deities. Therefore you cannot be an atheist Hindu.

K

katie_tully

Generator, I was merely pointing out the fact that the person had said "You define such and such by definition".

I'll stop confusing faith with religion when people can actually distinguish what their faith is without reverting to bible extracts that apparently offer them salvation.

Here is a quote I found which I think sums up Christianity nicely. It's in regards to cover ups mainly, and the Modernist movement that backfired on the Christians in the late 19th century.

It's by Antonio Fogazzaro, published in the Saint in 1905.

"The Catholic Church, calling herself the foundation of truth, today opposes the search after truth when her foundations, the sacred books, the formulae of her dogma, her alleged infallibility, become objects of research. To us, this signifies that she no longer has faith in herself"

Well said, old champion.

K

katie_tully

I think that quote is especially true in relation to the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I wonder whether the Christians on here would still have "faith" if it turned out that their religion is a lie?

melb22

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
From Britannica:

Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-"i-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
1 archaic : UNGODLINESS, WICKEDNESS
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Hinduism has deities. Therefore you cannot be an atheist Hindu.
Well you are right hinduism has deities. Not just one but thousands. Most hindus believe in one of them. But in hinduism you are free to choose what u want. you can choose not to believe in any devine god. It is fine with hinduism. Like i said b4, atheism is a subclass of hinduism. Most hindus are not atheist but you can be atheist and still be a hindu, hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

I don't get how atheism can be a subclass of a religion, when atheism was developed as an up yours to institutionalised religion.

melb22

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
I don't get how atheism can be a subclass of a religion, when atheism was developed as an up yours to institutionalised religion.
atheism has nothing to do with religion. An atheist believes there is no god. Religion and god are not the same. it is more like up yours to God :D

K

katie_tully

Now we're playing semantics. I still do not comprehend how you can be an atheist and Hindu. Why not exclude atheism and just say you respect the doctrine of Hinduism without the God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)