• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Questions to People With a Religion/No Religion. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
melb22 said:
Well you are right hinduism has deities. Not just one but thousands. Most hindus believe in one of them. But in hinduism you are free to choose what u want. you can choose not to believe in any devine god. It is fine with hinduism. Like i said b4, atheism is a subclass of hinduism. Most hindus are not atheist but you can be atheist and still be a hindu, hope this makes sense.
So you're saying you follow your Dharma but do not believe in Īshvara or the devas?

L

littlewing69

re·li·gion (r�*-l�*j'ən) pronunciation
n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The actual word is ambiguous, but guess for the sake of argument we can refer to faith(belief) as opposed to religion(institution).

katie_tully said:
Whoever suggested Buddhism, I don't have a problem with Buddhism. At all. They're peaceful type munchkins. I was refering more to the hardline religions of Christianity, Islam and such. The religions which clearly advocate the killing of others in their doctrines.
And I don't give a crap whether you don't consider the Old Testament as a reference to Christianity.
It is.
Buddhists canbe violent and evil just like the rest of humanity, and Tibetan Buddhism can be hardline at times, we just don't hear about it as much.

I agree with you though, the OT poses a big problem to Christians who claim that their God is all-loving and their religion is peaceful...

Last edited by a moderator:
K

katie_tully

Buddhists are violent and evil, we just don't hear about it as much?

I cannot recall the last time in history where Buddhist monks went on rampages across continents, spreading their religion and death in their wake?

melb22

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Now we're playing semantics. I still do not comprehend how you can be an atheist and Hindu. Why not exclude atheism and just say you respect the doctrine of Hinduism without the God?
because hinduism itself allows me to be an atheist. there is the flexibility to believe in what one wants to believe. There is nothing that tells me that i have to believe in one god or any god. there is no holy book that tells u believe in this god or in a god or u are out.

K

katie_tully

The OT doesn't pose as much of a problem as texts that have been covered up by the Church.
The Index wasn't abolished until the 1960s, so for 400 years Christians and Christian scholars were dictated as to what they could read.

Individual researchers were not able to read the Dead Sea Scrolls until 30 years after it was discovered. Much after the Church lied about its contents and age.

The biggest threat to the Church is the Church, and the fact that their entire religion is founded on lie after lie.

K

katie_tully

Melb, I would then read that as saying you're still Hindu, regardless of whether you believe in any of their gods. It doesn't make you an atheist. Stop double dipping. The term might sound fancy to you, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

melb22

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Melb, I would then read that as saying you're still Hindu, regardless of whether you believe in any of their gods. It doesn't make you an atheist. Stop double dipping. The term might sound fancy to you, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Well everyone has their own opinions. I think i am correct. you think u are correct:). One of us is definately right :D

I still believe this -
Atheist doesnt believe in any devine god. I dont as well. Hinduism allows me to be a hindu even though i dont believe in devine god. So i still call myself hindu. I was born a hindu. I dont have to leave it even if i dont believe in god as i dont have to believe in god to be a hindu. Christianity, islam doesnt allow u to be a atheist and a christian, muslim at the same time(i think, sorry if i am wrong) hinduism allows one to remain atheist.

kami said:
So you're saying you follow your Dharma but do not believe in Īshvara or the devas?
i dont believe in a isvara,devas(god).

Last edited:
L

littlewing69

katie_tully said:
Buddhists are violent and evil, we just don't hear about it as much?

I cannot recall the last time in history where Buddhist monks went on rampages across continents, spreading their religion and death in their wake?
Of course not, Buddhism isn't evangelistic. But I know (indirectly) Christian missionaries who were killed by local Buddhists when they were working overseas. There isn't that institutional violence we see in the Abrahamic faiths, but individuals are still violent at their core, regardless of creed.

L

littlewing69

melb22 said:
i dont believe in a isvara,devas(god).
What's the point then? From my limited experience of Hinduism, a lot of it is about worshipping gods. Are you a cultural Hindu, or do you mean to say that you are a practising atheistic Hindu??

melb22

HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
What's the point then? From my limited experience of Hinduism, a lot of it is about worshipping gods. Are you a cultural Hindu, or do you mean to say that you are a practising atheistic Hindu??
read my posts. Most hindus worship one of the many gods that we have in hinduism. But hinduism doesnt dictate which god u worship. Infact you dont have to worship a god. there is more to a religion then worshiping a god.

L

littlewing69

melb22 said:
read my posts. Most hindus worship one of the many gods that we have in hinduism. But hinduism doesnt dictate which god u worship. Infact you dont have to worship a god. there is more to a religion then worshiping a god.
I realise that. And I understand the natural evolution and decentralised nature of the faith. I want to know how you practise Hinduism atheistically, though. What do you do. What do you believe?

melb22

HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
I realise that. And I understand the natural evolution and decentralised nature of the faith. I want to know how you practise Hinduism atheistically, though. What do you do. What do you believe?
I personally see it more as a way of life. I dont follow the ritualistic aspect of hinduism. The way i see is, one is not a hindu by birth. It is what i do in my life that makes me a hindu.i believe in Karma. i practise 'Ahimsa' which when translated to english means something like non violence and respect for all life. I practise tolerance for other people. In hinduism we dont have anything like pagans or kafirs. I try to do something constructive in the society i live in.

In the end i would like to say what i had read in one of the books
ekam sat viprā bahudhā vadanti
which means there is one truth but people call it by many names. What i personally think is truth always evolves. What is true today might or might not be true tomorrow. Those who believe in god think they are correct. Those who dont believe think they are correct. Just because one thinks one is correct does not make one correct. This is true to almost everything we do in our life:) .

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Of course not, Buddhism isn't evangelistic. But I know (indirectly) Christian missionaries who were killed by local Buddhists when they were working overseas. There isn't that institutional violence we see in the Abrahamic faiths, but individuals are still violent at their core, regardless of creed.
Ah yes, those ever present "Christian missionaries"

One does wonder when Christians will get the hint and will stop imposing their god forsaken religion on everybody else.

K

katie_tully

I object to the point of this thread.

From what I gather from the first question and the remaining 10, Sam04u is trying to allude to the fact that atheists are "morally corrupt"? This of course assuming that everybody who answers No to Q1 will answer Yes to 2,3,6,7,8,9 and 10

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You should move to Russia..... seriously, evangilist faiths are banned.

A tid-bit that came up in my russian politics course: new religions are banned so orthodox, bhuddism etc fine eg ones that were in russia in 1917 but anything not there then is not welcome there now. This is the reason US pollies come back claiming religious oppression, my lecturer however (a russian) thinks its great.

L

littlewing69

katie_tully said:
Ah yes, those ever present "Christian missionaries"

One does wonder when Christians will get the hint and will stop imposing their god forsaken religion on everybody else.
I agree with you and I find proselytising fairly distasteful, but surely you can see that these people did not deserve to die. All the modern missionaries I know (and I have met lots) do preach, but they also help the community. I know a family who went to a remote, marginalised Ethiopian tribe who are hated by all their countrymen and who subsist solely on their herds of cattle. The missionaries, two vets, showed the tribespeople how to better care for their herds, how to treat diseases, and basically improved their lives dramatically. More than that, they are devising, with the help of some locals, a written script for the tribe's spoken language.

outwide

HSC
Question 1:
Do you believe in a God? Which Religion?
NO
Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)
YES

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)
YES
Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?
YES, LOOK AT OLD PEOPLE GENERALLY SPEAKING THEY HAVE LARGE EARS COMPARED TO US NOW...... EVOLUTION........CREATION, EVOLUTION - BIG BANG ETC.
Question 5:
Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.
YES I'M OPEN AND WILLING TO HEAR BOTH SIDES OF THE ARGUMENT REGARDLESS OF ME NOT BELIEVING.
Question 6:
Have you ever contemplated suicide?
NO
Question 7almost done)
Do you believe in legalising Drugs?/or Drugs being optional?
NO
Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)
EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES, ALTHOUGH KILLING ONE PERSON IS EXTREMEM FOR THOSE AROUND THE PERSON KILLED SO IT'S VERY HARD TO DETERMINE AT WHAT LINE CAN BE DRAWN FOR THE DEATH PENELTY, I PERFER THE IDEA OF A VERY LONG PRISON SENTANCE OVER THE DEATH PENELTY
Question 9:.
Are you fine with homosexualism?
YEAH, I KNOW PEOPLE THAT ARE GAY (MALE AND FEMALE) THERE NO DIFFERENT TO MOST PEOPLE PERSONALITY WISE SO WHAT SHOULD IT MATTER AS TO WHAT MAKES THEM ERR.... "HAPPY"
Question 10:
Would you sacrifice your life for a cause? (list a few)
YES, FRIENDS/FAMILY, COUNTRY'S FREEDOM THAT'S ABOUT ALL I CAN THINK OF ATM
Question 11: (final)
Have you considered any of the other religious beliefs? seriously?
YES, BUDDHISM READ ALOT ABOUT IT THOUGH I CAN'T SEEM TO CONFORM TO THE BELIEF OF A SUPERNATURAL BEING OR EXISTANCE

mind the spelling errors, it was rushed lol

weewaarjg

HSC
Question 1:

No, not of any kind

Question 2:
Do you believe it's okay for people to be having Sex under the Age of 18?(protectetion)

No, its hard to understand your feelings at a young age

Question 3:
Do you believe it's okay to have Sex with someone you have no Intention of marrying? (protection/no protection)

No way

Question 4:
Do you believe in evolution? What aspects? Other theories about the Creation of Mankind?

Evolution all the way

Question 5:
Are you open minded to "Evidence" of either "God being Real" or "God not being Real"? depending on your existing beliefs.

If the evidence fits in

Question 6:

Yes - a failed attempt

Question 7:(almost done)

some drugs

Question 8:
Do you believe in the Death Sentence? (capital punishment? under what circumstances)

Yes, it should be re introduced

Question 9:

Yes it is their choice

Question 10:

Yes

No

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
sam04u said:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/religion/14121950.htm
Question 1:
No not really. My value set most resembles modern liberal christianity.

Question 2:
Yes. Varies from situation to situation of course.

Question 3:
Yes. Varies from situation to situation of course.

Question 4:
Evolution. Creationism no.

Question 5:
God is a subjective belief. It's almost impossible to make a subjective belief based on faith 'real' to everyone.

Question 6:
No

That's a thread in itself.

Question 8:
Sometimes. Again complex issue deserves its own thread.

Question 9:
hhahaha...

Nothing wrong with homosexuals. However the assumation that they are nice people simply because they are homosexual (ie all minorities are nice) needs to be abandoned. Minorty people can be mean too.

Question 10:
No - read catch 22.

No

---

Can't believe I wasted 5 mins of my life on that wonderfully well thought out survey.

---

Edit (Generator): By now sam surely has all the answers that he needs in order to reaffirm his own take on reality. Thread closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)