r we becoming more and more stupid?? (1 Viewer)

Felix Jones

HSC
honestly they keep pulling materials from the syllabus out, e.g. conics in maths, some stuff from physics etc. . and i also heard that they are planning to include the formulas in the mass hsc exam three years from now??? wtf???

give me your thoughts...personally i think we are becoming dumber by the day... even my maths teacher ( who has been teaching for over 25 years) says that the workload is decreasing and the materials have become easier.

HSC
We're not becoming dumber, they're making it easier though. I know my economics teacher keeps on telling us how they've removed a lot of the calculation components, and we aren't even required to know the Income-Exp diagram for more than the 3-sector economy.

HSC
my english teacher once said something to this effect... he was talking about how the year 9 students don't understand 'stand by me' in relation to change (my year studied this in year 9, and did reasonably well), and how eventually it will become a year 10 text instead of year 9...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard they used to have calculus in the physics syllabus.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
They're dumbing down many subjects to the same standard.

kaz1 said:
I heard they used to have calculus in the physics syllabus.
Yeah I saw a 20 year old HSC Physics textbook and it's similar to what we learn in uni.
There was some calculus here and there.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
It's simple guys

Stupid bogans have heaps of kids
Smart, intelligent, decent people have none and focus on their careers/mcmansions/sports cars

We're evolving to become more stupid (and ugly) with each generation :uhhuh:

Foxodi

HSC
I think its mostly maths (and related subjects), and the are making it easier due to the lack of popularity in said subject/s. Which is derepssing considering the importance of maths and sciences.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
More people are choosing to do yr 11 and 12 instead of going of to tafe or work or whatever. As such the board keeps making courses easier so that these people can cope.

I don't like it. I think that all the courses I did are too easy and should be made more difficult and more demanding.

EDIT:
as a side note. i don't think that UNI's should be lowering 1st year course standards. which is a shame because then there is an enormous workload in 1st year because you have to catch up on the shortcomings of the hsc.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
humglish said:
Yes. This is driving me insane!
I go to a comprehensive high school, needless to say, we are filled with bogans. As a consequence, they ran dance at our school instead of economics. Then half the class dropped out! It pisses me off that pretty much everyone who picked economics would have stayed till the end, but they ran dance anyway. When if they thought about it for two seconds they would have realised this outcome.

God I hate the HSC at the moment. Idiots should not be at school. They should be working at maccas or stealing cars.
Yeah coz u should decide who has a right to an education hey

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha 2007 was the hardest of the new hsc....2005 was the hardest since i think it was 1987, at the time that is.

Felix Jones

HSC
Forbidden. said:
They're dumbing down many subjects to the same standard.

Yeah I saw a 20 year old HSC Physics textbook and it's similar to what we learn in uni.
There was some calculus here and there.
this is exactly what im talking about..

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I wish economics wan't so watered down.
It'd be so much more interesting if we learnt more indepth into micro and macro economics and if we could learn about all the schools of thought. Like keynesian, monetarists, Austrian and supply siders.

In the USA I think the syllabus is more like that.

Ah well.

Felix Jones

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I wish economics wan't so watered down.
It'd be so much more interesting if we learnt more indepth into micro and macro economics and if we could learn about all the schools of thought. Like keynesian, monetarists, Austrian and supply siders.

In the USA I think the syllabus is more like that.

Ah well.
yeah but it sucks here, when we go to uni we have to catch up on these.

Felix Jones

HSC
meh you got a point, but our parents and teachers managed it... my point is that how come we cant manage it??

BackCountrySnow

HSC
MФëỹ™ said:
yeah but it sucks here, when we go to uni we have to catch up on these.
hmm not really actually, considering that B economics doesn't assume that you did HSC economics. They re-teach it all in the first year.

Felix Jones

HSC
not sure bout students, but my eng, physics, and maths teachers who's been teaching for a while told me the same thing, that they have been pulling materials out of the syllabus.

honestly guys, r we dumber than our parenst and teachers?? ...personally i dont think so, how bout you guys?

Felix Jones

HSC
but do you think you could compete with your teachers/parents (last generation) when they were at your age??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)