• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
"Under One Roof" should be on prime time television here in Australia. It would address two problems, the first being that Asians don't exist in television land, and the second giving Australian society an understanding of the way Singapore works.

How about the racial prejudice that white people face from the asian and middle esatern communities - which is far greater than that of white on ethnic crimes. Not to mention notorious ethnic gangs such as "sing wa" and the like, as well as racially motivated gang rapes from people of middle eastern decent.
I myself am half asian and face greater racial prejudice from the asian community than the "anglo" community.
Also, when "white on ethnic" prejudice happens usually the asian is not Intergrated into Australian society and speaks not a word of english - who in there right mind wouldn't be pissed off - thus not intergrating leads to riots which happened in France.

Nice way to look at one side of the coin guys :rolleyes:

HSC
Nice way to name yourself 88 and by doing so undermine any credibility you may have had in a race-based discussion.

Regarding television discrimination against groups, you think you guys have got it bad? When was the last time you saw a homosexual vegetarian in a wheelchair as a main character!? Not that I'll confuse this as a racial grouping, but it's certainly a group who are underrepresented :~(

Last edited:
HSC
88 said:
How about the racial prejudice that white people face from the asian and middle esatern communities - which is far greater than that of white on ethnic crimes. Not to mention notorious ethnic gangs such as "sing wa" and the like, as well as racially motivated gang rapes from people of middle eastern decent.
I myself am half asian and face greater racial prejudice from the asian community than the "anglo" community.
Also, when "white on ethnic" prejudice happens usually the asian is not Intergrated into Australian society and speaks not a word of english - who in there right mind wouldn't be pissed off - thus not intergrating leads to riots which happened in France.

true. we musn't forget all (or at least most) people face a degree of prejudice and perhaps racism. but i guess it is because prejudice against "non-white" australians from "white"australians is more heard of, but not saying its is any less or more common :)

midnight_magick said:
true. we musn't forget all (or at least most) people face a degree of prejudice and perhaps racism. but i guess it is because prejudice against "non-white" australians from "white"australians is more heard of, but not saying its is any less or more common :)
Atleast, someone here has a brain! :)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Of course white people get shit from non-whites too. Some of the so-called "Disadvantaged" minorities think it's their responsibility to insult others, in retaliation for perceived discriminiation/disadvantage etc.

In Australian society, nobody is disadvantaged because of their race. They bring the disadvantage upon themselves, by convincing themselves and others like them that they ARE being disadvantaged - and that's why they don't drive fully sik cars. For many people, using the discrimination argument is a good way to justify their own lack of success in our society. It's unfortunate, but true.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
88 said:
don't talk about France if you know jack shit about what's going on and what's caused it.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
Nice way to name yourself 88 and by doing so undermine any credibility you may have had in a race-based discussion.

Regarding television discrimination against groups, you think you guys have got it bad? When was the last time you saw a homosexual vegetarian in a wheelchair as a main character!? Not that I'll confuse this as a racial grouping, but it's certainly a group who are underrepresented :~(
That's not a valid comparison.

Just how many homosexual vegetarian wheelchair people are there in the community? :rolleyes: If they comprised of some 10-20% of the population then I would be expecting their media representation too. This a serious topic.

Australian media portrays Australia as having zero minorites. There are heaps of asians in Australia, how come none are represented in the mainstream entertainment media?

Compared with US media you can have a comedy shows based on Italians: 'everybody loves raymond' and 'the sopranos', Jews: 'o.c', Blacks 'my wife and kids' 'cosby show' etc.

Now imagine switching on the tv in Australia and seeing a local show that portray's anything other than an anglo family or anglo setting in home and away, blue heelers etc. It doesn't happen cos the local media are a bunch of racists.

HSC
88 said:

That's because Anglos know that they are better than Asians and middle easterners, and middle easterners especially feel that they have some thing to proove, and some asians feel that if they don't keep being suspicious of whites that whites will abuse them or something.

Jonathan A

HSC
transcendent said:
don't worry soha. i still love you. even when ASIO takes you away i'll still remember you as my favourite muslim on BOS.

That's really stupid! ASIO don't target people on race or religion. Your comments seem way unfair and simply use recent events to further your quite discriminatory comments.

Are people prejudiced on race? Perhaps. When you got fools who misrepresent government policy and make other feel scared. It is worse when it goes beond reality.

Generator

HSC
N/A
That's overblowing the issue, supercharged. There is more than an element of cultural preference for the anglo (or anglicised) media personalities, but that isn't to say that the entire industry is structured along racial lines to the extent that it may be considered racist.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
That's really stupid! ASIO don't target people on race or religion. Your comments seem way unfair and simply use recent events to further your quite discriminatory comments.
It was a joke, jonathan, and I would have thought that that was more than apparent. Then again, you may be nothing more than a black and white law student, so I guess that I should not be too harsh.

Edit: Ah, black and white... Not the most PC of terms given the thread, but eh.

Jonathan A

HSC
The Poll is interesint. Four people say they deal with it constantly. I find that hard to believe. Our country is very tolerant, beyond a joke. You can be litigated against for using vilifying words.

I am of Greek Background and have never had problems. That's because I believe I am Australian. I was born here, I study here, I work here and I am a citizen. My family came out during the integration era and had no problems major problems. We love this country.

You will find those who are vilified or prejudiced are those who walk around and identifying themselves as foreigners. I have no problem with that, but I hate it when these people use that to raise it in submission for sentencing in a criminal conviction, use it to gain benefits that others can't and the like. Perhaps the natural reaction is a prejudiced community and what we should also ask: Are they correct? Perhaps they are correct in making their assumptions.

I do not like discrimination at all. However like you can't stop people denouncing their culture, you can't stop mainstream society denouncing their culture for other's purpose. You will find that many migrants of the 50s, and 60s (however I will not be conclusive here) are in fact all for tough immigration and assimilation policy. Left wing extremists should stop putting words in their mouths that they are disadvantaged.

Jonathan A

HSC
Generator said:
It was a joke, jonathan, and I would have thought that that was more than apparent. Then again, you may be nothing more than a black and white law student, so I guess that I should not be too harsh.

Edit: Ah, black and white... Not the most PC of terms given the thread, but eh.
Many racist or prejudiced remakrs are in the form of jokes. It trivialises the matter and does not solve the problem very much. Especially when you do it openly on an internet forum.

I can understand and appreciate its intention though.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
That's overblowing the issue, supercharged. There is more than an element of cultural preference for the anglo (or anglicised) media personalities, but that isn't to say that the entire industry is structured along racial lines to the extent that it may be considered racist.
Not racist?

So if it was the other way around, and you saw all asians but zero anglos on teleland despite substancial anglo population in real life, would you say that's not racist?

If the US ditched all its black media characters and black themed shows from tv and replaced them with all whites, the blacks would be screaming racism. How is marginalising a substancial pecentage of the population by pretending they don't exist not racism?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
Not racist?

So if it was the other way around, and you saw all asians but zero anglos on teleland despite substancial anglo population in real life, would you say that's not racist?

If the US ditched all its black media characters and black themed shows from tv and replaced them with all whites, the blacks would be screaming racism. How is marginalising a substancial pecentage of the population by pretending they don't exist not racism?
go to an asian country and you will see exactly the opposite. The tv stations they to appeal to the majority in the coutry, they would lose ratings if they showed some show that only appeals to chinese people or some less larger group of asian people living in asutralia.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Does it really make you upset that there's not tonnes of asians on tv? They sell shows based on ratings, if you want to percieve preference for non-asian characters as racism then go ahead.

My claim however would be that applying pressure to include asian characters on tv shows, where research showed people didn't want it, would be a stupid form of positive racism that would make our tv shows even worse than they are now.

Last edited:

supercharged

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
go to an asian country and you will see exactly the opposite.
Your mistake is that most asian countries have homogenous asian population.

If Australia was homogeously anglo, then sure the tv stations should reflect this reality.

However Australia doesn't have a homogenious anglo population so the media shouldn't pretend that it does. Australian media is the last hiding place of the White Australia policy.

The tv stations they to appeal to the majority in the coutry, they would lose ratings if they showed some show that only appeals to chinese people or some less larger group of asian people living in asutralia
How do you explain the large representation of minorities in US media then?

Generator

HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
Not racist?

So if it was the other way around, and you saw all asians but zero anglos on teleland, despite substancial anglo population in real life would you say that's not racist?

Nobody is being marginalised, supercharged. No matter the speed with which the change is taking place, the industry is changing to take more account of groundlevel cultural difference (SBS was but the first step). There's nothing to be gained by labelling the entertainment industry as a whole as rascist, espeically when the Australian industry itself is hardly as strong as it could possibly be.

In all honesty, though, I spend more time listening to JJJ and the only Australian shows that I watch are on the ABC, so I haven't really taken much note of the way in which commercial radio and television preferences the anglo-celtic majority in recent years.

Ah, I'm sorry, but I do not see the sense in making such a comparison. The American market is much larger than the one here in Australia, and ground level racial/ethnic differences in the US have been apparent (and recongised) for a considerable period of time. This is still a new country, after all, and despite its problems and preferences for the majority, I do not agree with the idea that it is served by a racist media industry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)