• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Racism in Australia (1 Viewer)

Honestly, have you ever felt racially prejudiced against whilst you were in Aus?

• Never

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Yes, but it was a one-off thing

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Yes, a number of times

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • Yes, i deal with it somewhat constantly

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

transcendent said:
don't talk about France if you know jack shit about what's going on and what's caused it.
haha! :rolleyes:

France WAS a race issue, muslims vs french natives, where the muslims played the race card because they believed they where oppressed but infact they where to lazy to go and get a job.
You need to go home your skills on current politcal issues - not what you here from the media.

"If you think you know everything and think you've done everything, I know you're an idiot ."

John C. Shepard

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Does it really make you upset that there's not tonnes of asians on tv? They sell shows based on ratings, if you want to percieve preference for non-asian characters as racism then go ahead.

My claim however would be that applying pressure to include asian characters on tv shows, where research showed people didn't want it, would be a stupid form of positive racism that would make our tv shows even worse than they are now.
Where is this research that shows people don't want it? :rolleyes: There never has any noticible asian representation in local media, how can you make judgements on something which doesn't exist.

I gurantee that if it was the other way around, anglos would be decrying the discrimination against their race by the media.

HSC
There should be africans and whites on chinese state-run television also, doing media reports.... How racist is china for not having whites on their communist news programs!?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
Many racist or prejudiced remakrs are in the form of jokes. It trivialises the matter and does not solve the problem very much. Especially when you do it openly on an internet forum.

I can understand and appreciate its intention though.
I'm of the opinion that it's dependent upon the circumstances (who says it, to whom they are saying it, what it is about, what is happening in society in general regarding the issue that is being joked about, etc.), and to just disregard all forms of humour that deal with senstive issues is just another way of ignoring what remains a pressing social issue of some importance.

The above joke didn't trivialise the issue.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Popularised Black culture appeals to young white youths...
Has this always been the case or only since blacks demanded representation by the media?

If blacks weren't shown in US media, white youths would hardly be embracing their culture. :rolleyes:

supercharged said:
Your mistake is that most asian countries have homogenous asian population.?
All countries in Asia have a an almost 100% asian populace.
An example:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ja.html

supercharged said:
If Australia was homogeously anglo, then sure the tv stations should reflect this reality.
Non- Whites make up at the very most 6% of the Australian Population - thus reflective 5% of Actors/Presenters in TV shows reflect this.

supercharged said:
However Australia doesn't have a homogenious anglo population so the media shouldn't pretend that it does. Australian media is the last hiding place of the White Australia policy.
6% mate. You are stupid. My guess you are a highly conservative asian that hates people like me. Mate go back to where you came from if you dont like it.

supercharged said:
How do you explain the large representation of minorities in US media then?
USA has a large minority populace :
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html
Thus reflective of there TV shows.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
TerrbleSpellor said:
There should be africans and whites on chinese state-run television also, doing media reports.... How racist is china for not having whites on their communist news programs!?
At least post something valid rather than trolling...

You show me the local african and white population in China :rolleyes:

My point is that the media should represent the population.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My point is that the media should represent the population.

- The media should represent what is most marketable to the majority of the population.
- The media should also represent minority groups with a high level of differentiation from the mainstream population (in a limited way).

If the media just represented the population evenly.... I don't want to begin listing the problems.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
Compared with US media you can have a comedy shows based on Italians: 'everybody loves raymond' and 'the sopranos', Jews: 'o.c', Blacks 'my wife and kids' 'cosby show' etc.

Now imagine switching on the tv in Australia and seeing a local show that portray's anything other than an anglo family or anglo setting in home and away, blue heelers etc. It doesn't happen cos the local media are a bunch of racists.
Local media are a bunch of racists?

How often have you been outside of Sydney? Last time I checked there wasnt too many people of asian decent in little country towns like the one describe in Blue Heelers.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
- The media should represent what is most marketable to the majority of the population.
- The media should also represent minority groups with a high level of differentiation from the mainstream population (in a limited way).

If the media just represented the population evenly.... I don't want to begin listing the problems.
So I take it that if local media seriously had zero anglo representation, you wouldn't care?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The honest truth is i don't care as long as nothing is being forced on people. If it is the general will of the majority, and if anglo culture isn't that strong a minority group, then I don't care.

If culture changes because the people prefered another culture then there should be no complaints?

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
The honest truth is i don't care as long as nothing is being forced on people. If it is the general will of the majority, and if anglo culture isn't that strong a minority group, then I don't care.

If culture changes because the people prefered another culture then there should be no complaints?
Hey I'm not just saying no anglo culture on teleland but no anglos at all. period.

I'm willing to bet that many anglos would not be okay with this if it really happened.

HSC
supercharged said:
Hey I'm not just saying no anglo culture on teleland but no anglos at all. period.

I'm willing to bet that many anglos would not be okay with this if it really happened.
I'm willing to bet that a lot of people (regardless of race), don't give a fuck about race half as much as you.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
I'm willing to bet that a lot of people (regardless of race), don't give a fuck about race half as much as you.
You think that because you're not in a minority group treated as being invisible on the tv screen by local media barons.

supercharged said:
You think that because you're not in a minority group treated as being invisible on the tv screen by local media barons.
Well you care so much about race so how about - you go back to China or Hong Kong or where ever your from and watch TV with your people on. Because you've clearly made it obvious that your not Australian.

Thanks,:)

End of Thread.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:

I would be fine with it, given that I don't watch much TV.

HSC
supercharged said:
Yeah, it must be a hard life when you're on a mission, fighting the inherent racism that surrounds you. It's like the whole world is geared at grinding you even further into the ground. I really feel for you, being so marginalised despite clearly making up the majority of Australia's population. I don't know how you get by from day to day. I know I sleep easy at night knowing that there are white folks on tv, without that man, I think I'd kill myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)