Radioisotope (1 Viewer)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
Did you have to state how they're produced ?
Nah but I just had it written down in my notes that Carbon-11 was produced by bombarding Boron-10 with protons. So I mixed up the number in my exam. I didn't actually write how it was produced.

Armenikum

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
Holy crap what did you write about?

I had to squeeze in tiny writing at the bottom of the page but I couldn't have written that much more.

I used Tehnetium-99m and Sodium-24. I talked about how TC was made very briefly, and talked abut their properties etc and then wrote about hte consequences, and evaluated after every point i made on the impact on society. I also used a diagram for Sodium-24 in pipes. I then proceeded with the negative implications of health effects and disposal of radioactive wastes. Then I did one more evaluation. My writing was not small ,but it wasnt huge either.

I thought if i knew so much about that, I could milk it for all it was worth.

Armenikum

HSC
One thing I did notice in that exam, was the lack of Water quality management like Eutrophication/water management/BOD/DO.

But I wasn't complaining :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Armenikum said:
I used Tehnetium-99m and Sodium-24. I talked about how TC was made very briefly, and talked abut their properties etc and then wrote about hte consequences, and evaluated after every point i made on the impact on society. I also used a diagram for Sodium-24 in pipes. I then proceeded with the negative implications of health effects and disposal of radioactive wastes. Then I did one more evaluation. My writing was not small ,but it wasnt huge either.

I thought if i knew so much about that, I could milk it for all it was worth.
I could have written what you've written if I remembered.

Armenikum said:
One thing I did notice in that exam, was the lack of Water quality management like Eutrophication/water management/BOD/DO.

But I wasn't complaining :)
That's good :).

mithril1337

HSC
Hmmm

i used Iodine-123 in medicine for thyroid treatment
and Cobalt-60 fir industrial defect detector.

Could you use Co-60 for medicine thats what a friend did and i think Success one also did???

Never have to right a frekin equation with (aq) or (s) or balancing,

OR any damn molar questions

well unless you lke that kinda stuff

I'm really not sure about this

In the combustion of Sulfur question, the equation of the combustion of sulfur,

the ratio of FeS to SO2 1:2 so the moles would have to times by two
Ja.

lilfrenchi

HSC
would u lose marks if u talked about the same radioisotope for both medical and industry?
i only studied cobalt-60 for both medical and industry, i knew a question like that would come up but i thought it woulda said medicine OR industry.
i talked about cancer treatment for medicine and sterilising equipment and checking integrity of structures in industry

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
lilfrenchi said:
would u lose marks if u talked about the same radioisotope for both medical and industry?
i only studied cobalt-60 for both medical and industry, i knew a question like that would come up but i thought it woulda said medicine OR industry.
i talked about cancer treatment for medicine and sterilising equipment and checking integrity of structures in industry
I think you would, because it asked for ONE radioisotope used in Medicine and ONE used in Industry

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
simplistic said:
tc-99m the best isotope EVER created !!
it has like so many uses (thanks to med physics module going on forever about it !)
I knew Tc-99m had more uses than my industrial isotope Na-24.
I wish I did Medical Physics rather than Astrophysics.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Armenikum said:
I used another booklet and filled up around 2-3 more pages...........is that not allowed?
Yeah same, yeah your allowed to do that as long as you tell the marker(well write on the yellow page of the question refer to booklet) on that page that you have a booklet and you wrote the same question number and section onto the booklet and that you declared it on the blue form you should be fine. Also you should have stapelled the yellow sheet to the booklet.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
mzduxx2006 said:
i done iodine 131 and cobalt 60

i do quanta to quarks and i hate it with a passion :(
Lol, I did the same radioisotopes. What did you say about them?

Oh, I like Quanta to Quarks, good topic.

Originality

HSC
I filled the lines and wanted to write more. Is dat enough for a 7 mark?

Cause i thought u can get another booklet if needed.

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
lol i misread the q
about thought they wanted isotopeS for both industry and medicine
so i rote down 2 for each
so i ran out of space and had to ask for a new booklet
dodgily attached it on
i wish tehy would make it like the options
where u just rite down the question number
then you can spend down as much space as you wnat

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Best question ever! Big marks, and I know about it :)

I did Tc-99m, and, I think I'm the only person here to do Am-241. Sure, that's a bit of a stretch, but I suppose smoke alarms come under 'industry'.

Armenikum

HSC
Wooz said:
Yeah same, yeah your allowed to do that as long as you tell the marker(well write on the yellow page of the question refer to booklet) on that page that you have a booklet and you wrote the same question number and section onto the booklet and that you declared it on the blue form you should be fine. Also you should have stapelled the yellow sheet to the booklet.
The head supervisor strung my booklet with my industrial booklet after i told her theyw ere different sections but she is like no, they just need to knwo how many writing booklets were used, so im like fine. I labelled the section and question on the booklet, so they can distinguish that, but i forgot to mention on the original yellow booklet that the asnwer is continued ------ouch, so I emailed BOS to see what happens from here - it should be picked up by a marker/examiner and matched to the student number and section 1 continued, but yea, emailed just in case.

Arghh, this better work out, I am not sacrificing 3 extra pages and marks for that.l

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
you people are weird.... 3 extra pages in a writing booklet??????
lol they give you the lines becuase thats the recommended ammount needed to gain 7 marks.

even though i wrote all the way down the side of the page and made my writing small as hell... i managed to fit everything in. :)

oh, and for the person who wrote about Cobalt 60 used in both medicine and industry, you really shouldnt lose marks, you mentioned a radioisotope used in industry, and one used in medicine, they didnt really specify that they needed to be different

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)