RAM for gaming (1 Viewer)

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
I run 194mb ram. Get whatever you can afford.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
yer bro its a cheap 4yr old laptop, runs n64 games fineee though

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
holy fuck, 4gigs of ram is plenty, 8 should mean u can play crysis while listening to itunes while watching a movie while webcamming while talking on msn.

also, make sure u have a 64bit OS and a 64bit compatible cpu, so u can ACTUALLY USE all 8gigs.

still, 4 gigs is plenty, go for 4 and save money.

Last edited:

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
use a 64 because its the best my computer can do :(

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
my laptop has 4gigs, but i have vista ultimate x86, meaning it only utilises about 3.5gb.

still, its plenty.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
holy fuck, 4gigs of ram is plenty, 8 should mean u can play crysis while listening to itunes while downloading a movie while watching a movie while webcamming while talking on msn.

also, make sure u have a 64bit OS and a 64bit compatible cpu, so u can ACTUALLY USE all 8gigs.

still, 4 gigs is plenty, go for 4 and save money.

Remove it or ill call you a fuckwit. Download speeds, or any downloading/uploading for that matter, is NOT affected by RAM.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
4GB ram is plenty for gaming, 8GB is overkill, well at least for the nest few years.
Gaming is more reliant on your video card, no matter how much ram you have, if u don't have a decent video card then you're not going to get a high fps.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Remove it or ill call you a fuckwit. Download speeds, or any downloading/uploading for that matter, is NOT affected by RAM.
i would've thought basically doing anything with the computer uses a bit of ram?

oh well, im not THAT much of a computer expert.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Thought you were, nvm then.

RAM is for software, DL speeds is not affected by RAM, but the Network Card, Ethernet Cat * Cable and ISP affect DL speeds.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
well im assuming that u got some internet browser open through which something is downloading.

oh well, i may still be wrong, as i said im not THAT computergeek.

SairsyFairy

HSC
Seriously you really only need 4 gig. It's plenty, 8 gig is really overkill in my opinion.

I run 4 gig and I can play majority of the games on the market, if not all.

But like other posters said much sure you get 64bit!!!

Drewx

HSC
Thought you were, nvm then.

RAM is for software, DL speeds is not affected by RAM, but the Network Card, Ethernet Cat * Cable and ISP affect DL speeds.
What are you talking about it would use the RAM to download a movie. The DL speed is just the speed the movie is send to the computer while the RAM is used to determine where the movie is stored on the Hard drive.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
That would be the processor and the OS....

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Unless you plan on using a x64 bit operating system, 8 gb is a waste of money because you will just have over 4 gb sitting there not being used. You would be better of sending the same amount of money on 4 gb of fast ram, say 1066mhz or even 1200mhz.

I have 4 gb in my pc and i have only ever seen it get to about 1.8 gb usage (including page file). This is on Windows 7, though.

4GB ram is plenty for gaming, 8GB is overkill, well at least for the nest few years.
Gaming is more reliant on your video card, no matter how much ram you have, if u don't have a decent video card then you're not going to get a high fps.
The amount and speed of your ram actually does have a reasonably big impact on fps. Having a lot of ram won't raise your maximum fps by very much, but it provides you with very consistent fps.

Before i upgraded my pc from 1 gb to 4 gb of ram, my games would often suffer from stuttering and the like, but when i upgraded to 4 gb i could run a game like crysis at 15 fps and call it playable because it is a very consistent fps.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
RAM allows the information to be stored for processing, GFX cards just make the processing a shit load better.

Drewx

HSC
That would be the processor and the OS....
Are you sure? I'm sure every program goes those the fetch execute cycle which mean everything does ends up going to the RAM one way or another. I can see where your coming from about the dl speed and yes your right about the download speed but the act of storing that data from the download still goes through the RAM as the CPU still needs the RAM to store the local of where the file is to stored on the harddrive and the instructions on the program downloading the file will be stored on the RAM as well.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Just checked, RAM usage peaked for half a second, due OS opening its DL programs, so your are right, but it was like...1-3Mb's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)