rank->hsc (1 Viewer)

jackky

HSC
Hi everyone! i am currently ranked 2nd in english but i beat the person in the half yearly examination (she beat me in the assessments). Assuming my rank and hers does not change, does that mean that i cant come first even if i get a higher mark than her for english in the hsc?

thank you!

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Charity F said:
Nope - because if you do get the highest mark, she'll get your mark, and you'll get the 2nd highest mark. That's why rankings count soooo much.
Except if the other person doesn't do as well on their exam then it is very possible to get a higher HSC mark than them.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Can someone please confirm whether top rank internally gets top mark externally?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Can someone please confirm whether top rank internally gets top mark externally?
Top internal rank = top external mark.

Muz4PM

HSC
tommykins said:
Yeah, can someone confirm that?

I am not sure

Whilst I see the merit in the idea, it is pretty unfair that if you come second by say one or two marks internally and come first by a large margin in the externals to then have that mark taken away and given to someone else.

EDIT, just read above posts.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lyounamu said:
Top internal rank = top external mark.
Source? I find it a tad ridiculous that a student that comes first internally can get the top mark if they only do average in the external (despite this RARELY being the case).

Thanks in advance.

bling05

HSC
Top external mark becomes the internal mark of the top-ranked student.

You keep your external marks!

jackky

HSC
Muz4PM said:
Yeah, can someone confirm that?

I am not sure

Whilst I see the merit in the idea, it is pretty unfair that if you come second by say one or two marks internally and come first by a large margin in the externals to then have that mark taken away and given to someone else.

EDIT, just read above posts.
yeah that is so true! and also the teacher may favour a certain student, whilst the hsc is relatively unbias?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Source? I find it a tad ridiculous that a student that comes first internally can get the top mark if they only do average in the external (despite this RARELY being the case).

Thanks in advance.
My teacher & study coordinator. :mad1:

I am sorry if it proves to be such a poor source. But that's the only "official" source that I can give.

Zero Infinite

HSC
This is how it is worked out - you finish your school terms, and get a rank from your school. Then you sit the HSC. You get a mark from the HSC, which becomes your HSC mark after scaling for that subject. However, the maximum HSC mark obtained by a student from a particular school becomes the School mark of the person who was ranked first in the school. e.g. A comes 1st, B comes 2nd in school. A gets 95 in a subject, B gets 97. A's school mark becomes 97.

Then the final mark is worked out by averaging the 2 marks and rounding up (if required). e.g. My English HSC mark 95 school mark 93 Overall 94 etc.

I know this for a fact because I sat the HSC last year :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Ahh I get it. The top external mark becomes the top internal mark, but the external mark you get is the one you keep when considering the final mark?

Muz4PM

HSC
tommykins said:
Ahh I get it. The top external mark becomes the top internal mark, but the external mark you get is the one you keep when considering the final mark?
Yeah, that's my understanding of the post.

danz90

HSC
How I understood this is, is that your internal mark becomes what you get in the HSC Exam according to your ranking, for example:

Student A ranked 1st
Student B ranked 2nd
Student C ranked 3rd

In the HSC Exam, the students get the following exam marks:
Student A: 92
Student B: 94
Student C: 88

The internal assessment mark of student A will be 94, because they are ranked first, even though they didnt get the highest exam mark. And even though student B got the highest exam mark, they will get the mark obtained by student A, and this will become their assessment mark.
Basically, assessment marks mean Nothing; it's your rank that counts.

Student C wouldn't be affected by moderation, in this case.

Zero Infinite

HSC
assessment marks mean Nothing

I wouldn't say this is completely true. In the rare instance that 2 people get the exact same HSC mark and the same internal mark (e.g. competing for 1st in the State, for example) I believe the raw assessment mark has something to do with it, as does the overall performance of their respective schools in the subject.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Raw internal assessment marks (the ones sent by your school once you complete internal HSC assessments) do two things:

1. Determine ranks (which are then used in the calculation of your final HSC assessment marks)

2. Determine the gaps between the ranks (which are ALSO then used in the calculation of your final HSC assessment marks)

So even if you can't hit that first rank, still try to aim to close the gap. It might just boost your HSC assessment mark a few marks up! :D

dpospination

HSC
jackky said:
Hi everyone! i am currently ranked 2nd in english but i beat the person in the half yearly examination (she beat me in the assessments). Assuming my rank and hers does not change, does that mean that i cant come first even if i get a higher mark than her for english in the hsc?

thank you!
iget the highest hsc mark and the person ranked first gets second highest, u will both get the same mark overall for HSC, based on rankings, etc

sasa-o8

HSC
bling05 said:
Top external mark becomes the internal mark of the top-ranked student.

You keep your external marks!
I get the first sentence, but I don't quite understand the second one.

Say,
I came 3rd internally, but came first in the actual HSC exam...my HSC mark would be given to the person ranked 1st internally right? So how do I get to keep my external marks? :confused:

L

lsam

sasa-o8 said:
I get the first sentence, but I don't quite understand the second one.

Say,
I came 3rd internally, but came first in the actual HSC exam...my HSC mark would be given to the person ranked 1st internally right? So how do I get to keep my external marks? :confused:
You = 90 (HSC)
Him = 80 (HSC)

His mark = 90 (internal) because of your result and external (80) which is what he got.

Your mark = x (internal), we don't know what you will get as your internal mark. Whatever the third top HSC mark is, it will become your internal mark and your external (90) what you got in HSC.

Is it better to understand now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)