Ranks get released at 5pm today whos excited? :D (1 Viewer)

shady145

Banned
HSC
If you actually read this thread, rather than your zazzy-esque rant, you'd actually notice that there are other people where this sorta situation has affected them. And they did not feel the need to make such a big fuss about it.
lol

Sorta scary that more people are doing Biology than English Advanced at your school
theres more in bio than adv english at my school aswell

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I guess I'm a little excited because my school makes up some bullshit rule about how the BOS says we're not allowed to know final rankings before the HSC. But I think I'm still in 'OMG THE HSC IS OVER' mode.
Your school didn't make up the rule. The BOS does say that but many schools ignore the rule.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What? How did some of you guys move up? Shouldn't it be the same rank as the rank you got in your Yearly Reports?
Not necessarily. It depends as to what the school puts on the reports. e.g. at my school some years we only put the rank from the Trials and this year I really don't know what rank went on because we changed the reporting system. I do know that the kids had to sign a form with their final ranks on it but I suspect that that means that the report rank might have only been the Trials.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Your school didn't make up the rule. The BOS does say that but many schools ignore the rule.
Oh really? I thought the only thing you weren't allowed to know was your internal mark because then you could somewhat understand the moderating system. Then again some teachers reveal this as well haha.

rowdyroddy

HSC
where do you get the PIN from?
is that the uac pin with the mail?

nvm its on the blue card haha

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh really? I thought the only thing you weren't allowed to know was your internal mark because then you could somewhat understand the moderating system. Then again some teachers reveal this as well haha.
Your school isn't supposed to tell you your ranks until yesterday but many simply ignore that rule.

You aren't supposed to be told your marks because schools can adjust the marks so long as they keep the ranks and relative gaps the same - they can internally moderate before sending to the BOS who then moderate as well.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Your school isn't supposed to tell you your ranks until yesterday but many simply ignore that rule.

You aren't supposed to be told your marks because schools can adjust the marks so long as they keep the ranks and relative gaps the same - they can internally moderate before sending to the BOS who then moderate as well.
Are they meant to not tell us our final ranks or any cumulative ranks, say H/Y and so forth? Which schools don't give them their final ranks in their final report? I know we could get a copy of our trial rank and our final rank if we chose but everyone at least got their final rank on their report.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are they meant to not tell us our final ranks or any cumulative ranks, say H/Y and so forth? Which schools don't give them their final ranks in their final report? I know we could get a copy of our trial rank and our final rank if we chose but everyone at least got their final rank on their report.

Technically schools are supposed to give you your mark and rank from each assessment task but not a cumulative rank, until yesterday at 5.00p.m. However, many schools believe that you should know your final cumulative rank before the start of the HSC rather than after the exams.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
There is nothing to prevent a school from providing cumulative assessment ranks throughout the course.

The Board states "Some schools may decide that it is appropriate to give each student a cumulative rank after each assessment task or at key points throughout the course. However, schools need to be sure that correct weightings have been applied to the tasks before reporting such a measure of general progress. It should also be noted that later tasks generally have greater weighting than tasks completed early in the program, and as a consequence, rankings may change."

The only information that schools cannot provide to students is the total assessment mark submitted to the Board, as it is subject to moderation.

Pyrokinetic

HSC
Just a quick question. So i've become aware that gaps (mark-wise) between internal assessment rankings play a role in the determination of final HSC Assessment mark that contributes 50% to our HSC. Theoretically speaking the closer the gaps are between students' marks the better for the cohort, right? Is it possible for schools to exploit this and purposely scale our assessment marks so that the gaps are closer together?

Because i've noticed that in Biology for instance, im ranked 2nd and have consistently been at least 4% above the person trailing behind me in every single assessment. Im aware of the slight rounding up/down that happens when things are adjusted to assessment weightings, but in our final report mark there is only 1 mark separating 2nd and 3rd when cumulatively the gap should be much larger. Our teacher have spoken to us about raw marks in assessment tasks been scaled depending on how people performed or something, is it possible for them to use this to the school's advantage and bunch up peoples marks together?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
There is only a fixed number of marks to be shared between students during moderation. That is the total pool of marks earned by the school group on the HSC exam.

If you bunched all the top students very close together then, yeah, they might get a bigger share, but that would leave nothing much to share between the weaker students. No teacher would engage in such practice, it would be ethically and morally reprehensible.

lisl

HSC
the school gave us all of ours more than a month ago

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
fairly happy with most of my ranks....

Adv Eng: 8/40
Biology: 2/21 (GRRR i was like 0.05 marks off from being ranked 1st!!)
Business: 6/41
Chemistry: 4/16
Maths: 3/22
MX1: 3/3 :D
SOR1: 12/98

HSC
my school was the opposite, i was second now im equal second :evilfire:
hahaha how annoying is it though??
like im not disappointed with 3rd but it was literally like 0.01. arghhhhhh!! i was expecting them to round it off. im not sure if bos accepts equal rank unless they are completly equal without rounding. oh well....im still very happy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)