• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rates question!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
add to the list "arj1" , "dishab" , "norez" and "davidbarnes" ( and davidbarnes was a person in one of my classes from uni , and even posted crap on my tutoring thread to discourage people from going with me, and I still helped him with his question )

I am sure there is a lot more to add to add to this list, but I cant be bothered to search for them all, and all of the people I have mentioned I would have helped on atleast 3different questions AT A MINIUM . Many I would have helped on atleast 10questions over the time

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
when I did help no on appreciated it so why bother helping u little punks again
There's the problem. If you are genuinely helpful to others you would still help regardless and not demand 'appreciation' in return. For example, many good teachers/parents out there would still help troubled kids even if the kids hate their guts. They don't simply give up on them just because they get no 'appreciation' in return. They keep helping because they have the selflessness to reach out to these people. If you want to prove yourself to be a reputable tutor then you need to demonstrate such qualities. Besides, to some extent I'm pretty sure you did get appreciated for the efforts of helping before it's just that you do not acknowledge them.

HSC
N/A
There's the problem. If you are genuinely helpful to others you would still help regardless and not demand 'appreciation' in return. For example, many good teachers/parents out there would still help troubled kids even if the kids hate their guts. They don't simply give up on them just because they get no 'appreciation' in return. They keep helping because they have the selflessness to reach out to these people. If you want to prove yourself to be a reputable tutor then you need to demonstrate such qualities. Besides, to some extent I'm pretty sure you did get appreciated for the efforts of helping before it's just that you do not acknowledge them.
ok, let me reword that, I didnt want to be given bloody -5000 rep points, or how ever many it was, bloody hundreds of them.

Also, I havent got a reply in ages, I was pretty sure the first ad I put was like in may 2009 and to get absolutely no responses over that period seems extremely coincidental, wouldnt you think?? , seems more like everyone on this site is playing a game with me, its all well and good for me to help you out over the net for free but when you need a tutor you dont even try me out as a tutor :| , after about 8months it was fairly obvious that answering questions didnt do any good in terms of advertising/ getting students so why bother answering anymore . Thats mainly the reason why I am acting the way I am now and being an asshole and wanting to tease ppl over their questions .

I honestly think there would have been atleast one person that would have been after tutoring in the unsw/maroubra area that would have seen the ad, there are like atleast 8schools within 10km of unsw

Last edited:

jyu

HSC
Leave him alone as long as no obscenity is used. He keeps coming back because he likes here. He makes fun read for some ppl. If you don't like it, don't respond.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Also, I havent got a reply in ages, I was pretty sure the first ad I put was like in may 2009 and to get absolutely no responses over that period seems extremely coincidental, wouldnt you think?? , seems more like everyone on this site is playing a game with me, its all well and good for me to help you out over the net for free but when you need a tutor you dont even try me out as a tutor :| , after about 8months it was fairly obvious that answering questions didnt do any good in terms of advertising/ getting students so why bother answering anymore . Thats mainly the reason why I am acting the way I am now and being an asshole and wanting to tease ppl over their questions .

I honestly think there would have been atleast one person that would have been after tutoring in the unsw/maroubra area that would have seen the ad, there are like atleast 8schools within 10km of unsw
First of all, May 2009 is when most HSC students are over halfway through their courses. There would not be many students out there looking for tutoring during that period hence any ad placed during that period would not attract many students. Secondly, attracting no students, especially if you are starting out, is actually quite normal. It's not easy attracting students in the first place. When I started out, I found it very difficult to attract any students at all. In my first year, I only received ONE single student for Maths but that was mainly because my prices were low enough within his budget and he lived like on the same block as me. He ended up being successful in his results and through promoting this success, I ended up getting too many requests to handle in my second year (and the rest is history).

Helping out people in these forums is great, but should not be the sole promotional tool. Experience matters, so try to get employed at a tutoring college, tutor younger years, take on friends/relatives or even volunteer for the HSC tutoring program at uni (if your uni has one). If you can demonstrate commitment and effective techniques to promote learning then marketing can happen through word of mouth by your students, which is much more powerful than any ad or helpful post on this site. In fact, a lot of people who request tutoring from me have never seen my ad. Many of them were recommended by past students I had tutored. (Also, if you're serious about being a tutor then be aware that people perceive ads saying 'free tutoring', with little mention of details or credentials, with skepticism)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Experience matters, so try to get employed at a tutoring college, tutor younger years, take on friends/relatives or even volunteer for the HSC tutoring program at uni (if your uni has one).

(Also, if you're serious about being a tutor then be aware that people perceive ads saying 'free tutoring', with little mention of details or credentials, with skepticism)
For the record I did do volunteer HSC maths tutoring through Arc at Unsw for semester 1 and 2 of 2010 , and hopefully tommorow I will send some emails about trying to get some students at tutoring companies around eastern suburbs ( however, it has taken literally ages to find any :| ). Why is it that like all the tutoring companies are in western areas of sydney :| .

Also , I did put up two ads actually about free maths tutoring ( 1 for 2unit and 1 for 4unit ) and this was to kinda piss people off. I did actually get one reply from someone on the 2unit math ad, and I did say that I would give them free lessons (even though I didnt make the thread with those intentions) but I since havent got another reply from that person , I can only assume it was someone on the website looking to have games with me, try and give me false hope that I actually got a student ( even if it was for free lessons ).

I have been meaning to try and delete the "free 2unit maths " one but I cannot because that thread was made in the account "Bored Of Fail" which is currently banned for a whole month.

HSC
N/A
First of all, May 2009 is when most HSC students are over halfway through their courses. There would not be many students out there looking for tutoring during that period hence any ad placed during that period would not attract many students.
It didnt have to be solely for yr12 students, it could be for yr11s as well, and thats what I thought it would mainly be for as term was coming up soon, preliminary finals and then start of the hsc assessments which count.

Secondly, attracting no students, especially if you are starting out, is actually quite normal. It's not easy attracting students in the first place. When I started out, I found it very difficult to attract any students at all. In my first year, I only received ONE single student for Maths but that was mainly because my prices were low enough within his budget and he lived like on the same block as me. He ended up being successful in his results and through promoting this success, I ended up getting too many requests to handle in my second year (and the rest is history).
Once again, the whole "you need work expreience before we will give you a job, but you cannot get experience without a job " conundrum :|

I have tried bloody everything possible, I have done the voluntary tutoring at university, I do have 4 years of work experience in retail ( yes I know not in tutoring, obviously not ). My price of $20/hr over the christmas hollidays until uni goes back in early march ( and $25/hr after uni goes back ) is more than reasonable , considering I currently get about $17.50/hr at the current place I work at ( and im gauranteed a 6hr shift/week and I dont have to factor in extra transport costs of going to 6 different places for 6 individual students for just 1hr of pay ) . I am not bloody charging $50/hr like all the arrogant 99.95ATAR students fresh out of high school, and they all say they are full, unbelievable!

I have even had a past teacher from my highschool email me last November about the possibility of tutoring here daughter in University Maths ( but it was for medical science, and I have seen/heard that that kind of math is very different from engineering math and involves alot more statistics and shit that I wouldnt have seen before ) so I had to decline. I did ask the teacher to put an ad for me up in the school library but who knows how effective it will be, I got the award for most outstanding in mathematics for the year, I wonder if that will mean anything :| .

Also, I posted that "free maths tutoring ad" to see what kind of a response I would get if I actually did do free maths tutoring and it seems like no one even wants that :| . Even though I wouldnt give free tutoring in the first place ( because I need some money , not tons like the greedy 99.95ATAR, but yes I am a person and I do some money . But also because everyone on this site has had enough freebies as it is in terms of online help. Besides it doesnt really look like money is the issue when it comes to tutoring because all of the greedy bastards straight from high school with no experience charging $50/hr are FULL :S ) it is nice to know that no one would even want free tutoring.

Also FYI : I have gotten 3 emails over the past 8months about tutoring, and all emails I have responded back with something along the lines " I am free these times ....... etc etc.... please email me back what day and time you would like " and to all of those emails that I have responsed to I have got no replies to any of them, ever again, coincedence?? or someone on this site making up email addresses and playing games with me??

Last edited:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I have been meaning to try and delete the "free 2unit maths " one but I cannot because that thread was made in the account "Bored Of Fail" which is currently banned for a whole month.
Post a thread in contact mods and it will be dealt with for you.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
It didnt have to be solely for yr12 students, it could be for yr11s as well, and thats what I thought it would mainly be for as term was coming up soon, preliminary finals and then start of the hsc assessments which count.

Once again, the whole "you need work expreience before we will give you a job, but you cannot get experience without a job " conundrum :|

I have tried bloody everything possible, I have done the voluntary tutoring at university, I do have 4 years of work experience in retail ( yes I know not in tutoring, obviously not ). My price of $20/hr over the christmas hollidays until uni goes back in early march ( and $25/hr after uni goes back ) is more than reasonable , considering I currently get about $17.50/hr at the current place I work at ( and im gauranteed a 6hr shift/week and I dont have to factor in extra transport costs of going to 6 different places for 6 individual students for just 1hr of pay ) . I am not bloody charging $50/hr like all the arrogant 99.95ATAR students fresh out of high school, and they all say they are full, unbelievable!

I have even had a past teacher from my highschool email me last November about the possibility of tutoring here daughter in University Maths ( but it was for medical science, and I have seen/heard that that kind of math is very different from engineering math and involves alot more statistics and shit that I wouldnt have seen before ) so I had to decline. I did ask the teacher to put an ad for me up in the school library but who knows how effective it will be, I got the award for most outstanding in mathematics for the year, I wonder if that will mean anything :| .

Also, I posted that "free maths tutoring ad" to see what kind of a response I would get if I actually did do free maths tutoring and it seems like no one even wants that :| . Even though I wouldnt give free tutoring in the first place ( because I need some money , not tons like the greedy 99.95ATAR, but yes I am a person and I do some money . But also because everyone on this site has had enough freebies as it is in terms of online help. Besides it doesnt really look like money is the issue when it comes to tutoring because all of the greedy bastards straight from high school with no experience charging $50/hr are FULL :S ) it is nice to know that no one would even want free tutoring.

Also FYI : I have gotten 3 emails over the past 8months about tutoring, and all emails I have responded back with something along the lines " I am free these times ....... etc etc.... please email me back what day and time you would like " and to all of those emails that I have responsed to I have got no replies to any of them, ever again, coincedence?? or someone on this site making up email addresses and playing games with me??
Maybe if you acted with a bit more maturity then people would consider you.

Though personally the role of a maths tutor does not appeal to me...

HSC
N/A
Maybe if you acted with a bit more maturity then people would consider you.
Give specific examples, and dont just say because I called 4unit maths students "asian tryhards" , because atleast 80% of them are asain , and are tryhards. Also, I reckon it would be quite acceptable to be a bit frustrated when you have got no ( serious ) replys about the ad after the time and what I have done on this site in the last yr.

Though personally the role of a maths tutor does not appeal to me...
is that because you could do that general maths questions with the simultaneous eqns??

lol I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to try and get tutoring , another thing that doesnt quite sit well with me was the fact that the student I was doing voluntary tutoring with went to sydney boys high school and also went to paid tutoring as well the free stuff with me.

1. I thought that only the really needy people were meant to get tutors through the voluntary tutoring programs, if he already had a private tutor he couldnt have been that poor.

2. Im wondering why he didnt just fuk off the other tutor and go paid tutoring with me. His other tutor was obviously shit anyway, all the student ever did was come to the lessons with exercises that his other tutor had just photocopied out of cambridge :|

3. He showed little interest in the work at hand and little appreciation of the time I was their for. Numerous times there were questions that he could do , but he wouldnt do them until he actually showed up at the session. That is a waste of my time pretty much, whats the point of me watching you do questions you can already do :|, the idea of tutoring is to fix the things you CANT do. Yes, if I was getting paid for it I wouldnt give a shit if he appreciated my time or not , but I was volunteering and doing it for free , I do expect a tiny bit of appreciation and effort of the students part.

I have even had someone from a tutoring company see the ad on this website ( and the company did look fairly genuine with a link to the companys website ) contact me about going for an interview, we arranged to have an interview on the sunday ( two weeks after she initiallity contacted me ) , then when I emailed the company on the monday ( 5days before the interview) to confirm the day and time of the interview I got an email back the very next day saying that the interviewer/company owner was sick and the interview would have to be cancelled. hmmmm they were "sick" on the tuesday morning so an interview planned for 5days ahead had to be cancelled, no I dont think so , not even food poisoning would put someone out of action for that long.
Im getting rather sick of people part of peoples bullshit games :|

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Back on topic, thanks to the person who answered this question. I could not figure that son of a bitch out. I still remember it, even though I finsihed this topic like 5 months ago.
It was so easy, that it makes me feel somewhat stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)