Raw mark estimation? (1 Viewer)

hayleyemma96

HSC
Ok so I'll post my reported HSC Exam marks below and can someone please tell me what my raw marks would have been approximately?
Adv English: 78/100 (honestly don't know what happened here!)
Economics: 83/100
Legal: 89/100
Gen Maths: 93/100
Modern: 87/100

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Eng: 73/105 raw aligned.

Eco: 78/100 raw aligned.

No idea on the rest.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
English woud be lower, closer to like 64/105
Really? I couldn't have done that bad though with my similar mark.

Seriously don't know how my 17/20+ essays that year were that shit.

Then again your marks in school don't mean anything so.....

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Really? I couldn't have done that bad though with my similar mark.

Seriously don't know how my 17/20+ essays that year were that shit.

Then again your marks in school don't mean anything so.....
School marks really don't mean anything, most schools will mark much, much easier. The guy who came 1st internally at my school all year got 213/215 in school (as in totalling all assessments and trials), yet got a band 5 in the HSC (so probably 70's /105).

Much lols.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
School marks really don't mean anything, most schools will mark much, much easier. The guy who came 1st internally at my school all year got 213/215 in school (as in totalling all assessments and trials), yet got a band 5 in the HSC (so probably 70's /105).

Much lols.

Yeah true. Your class and mine got trolled by either our teachers or the bos markers. Our teacher was a marker so I would definitely be placing my bets on the bos markers.

hayleyemma96

HSC
Yeah true. Your class and mine got trolled by either our teachers or the bos markers. Our teacher was a marker so I would definitely be placing my bets on the bos markers.
Yeah Sam here. The teacher I got to check all my essays was a marker and I was getting 17-18/20 all year.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
BOS markers are teachers remember.
Yeah true.

It happened to heaps of people though who got lower than expected for English. I think the only thing that maybe went wrong with my essays is them being too short, but still I think they would have at least been 800 words (I never counted them). And getting 18+/20 all year from an experienced marker, but getting less than 14/20 on average in the final exams seems a bit odd to me.

I'm hoping that the performance by band descriptors show that less students this year got above 80, just to put my mind at ease that there was nothing else I could have done.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah true.

It happened to heaps of people though who got lower than expected for English. I think the only thing that maybe went wrong with my essays is them being too short, but still I think they would have at least been 800 words (I never counted them). And getting 18+/20 all year from an experienced marker, but getting less than 14/20 on average in the final exams seems a bit odd to me.

I'm hoping that the performance by band descriptors show that less students this year got above 80, just to put my mind at ease that there was nothing else I could have done.
I guess at the end of the day, you will only be marked on how well you answered the question, so although your essays may be of 18+/20 quality throughout the year, however, if you didn't answer the given essay/creative/short answer questions to a sufficient extent on the day of the examination, you will only be marked on how well you answered to a specific question. I guess one of the difficulties of HSC English course is that you will not get marks for showing the breath of your knowledge about a text, but rather for showing the depth of your knowledge on the specific aspects relevant to the given question.

Well-good luck on the optimistic hope:) I guess you don't really need an external confirmation, you should know yourself whether you have put in everything you could have into preparing for the English exam and studying for English coupled with the demands of all of your other HSC subjects. You are likely to have tried your best-and that's all one can ever ask:) The only thing I am hoping for right now is to get an offer into the course I want to get into and hopefully do well in it:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I guess at the end of the day, you will only be marked on how well you answered the question, so although your essays may be of 18+/20 quality throughout the year, however, if you didn't answer the given essay/creative/short answer questions to a sufficient extent on the day of the examination, you will only be marked on how well you answered to a specific question. I guess one of the difficulties of HSC English course is that you will not get marks for showing the breath of your knowledge about a text, but rather for showing the depth of your knowledge on the specific aspects relevant to the given question.

Well-good luck on the optimistic hope:) I guess you don't really need an external confirmation, you should know yourself whether you have put in everything you could have into preparing for the English exam and studying for English coupled with the demands of all of your other HSC subjects. You are likely to have tried your best-and that's all one can ever ask:) The only thing I am hoping for right now is to get an offer into the course I want to get into and hopefully do well in it:)
Yeah I guess so. Some of the questions actually fit really well and barely needed modifying from my plans. Oh well at least I got the ATAR I needed.

Thanks. I did try my best for English, and did more work for it than MX1 lol. Yet I still got around 28 less aggregate for all that effort. Good Luck and hope you get into the course :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)