Raw mark scaling for Biology? (1 Viewer)

Razzah

HSC
Hey guys,

Just interested to know what a 90/100 raw mark on the exam would scale to for an aligned mark for the HSC.

Cheers

dolbinau

HSC
I also want to know. I really want to perform well in biology but need to know if the aligning of marks is down or up!

Harkaraj

HSC
Uni Grad
Some of those 6-8 mark holistic questions can be quite hard plus there are some tricky mulitple choice and also silly mistakes can occur. Im guessing 90 would leave you pretty set for like 93-95 aligned.

tau281290

HSC
My teacher said its about 5 marks up, so if you get 85 raw mark, you are most likely to get 90. Don't quote me on this though. This is just based on my teacher who is a HSC marker.

HSC
There are currently no figures available for Biology on the alignment of raw marks
Raw band cut-offs

But i'd probably agree with 5ish + marks.

HSC
syriangabsta said:
5 marks for bio? so..chem and phys have to be at least 8 marks?
Chem in 2003: A raw mark of 62-63 was aligned to an 80 (Band 5)

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
so like, let me get this straight...if i did my exam in 2003...

i woke up the morning of my chem exam, went to school, and did the exam...

i got out of the exam all pissed off coz i estimated my mark to be 62%...

and, well, it was 62%, so i got 38 whole marks wrong...

so then it got marked and alignec whatnot, and it become an 80...and i get the result sent home claiming i got an 80?

and so, i come to put this into a uai calculator to give myself a rough estimate...i put in 80 into the calc yes? and they use the 80 to calc my uai....not the 62...right?

this seems too easy..

HSC
syriangabsta said:
so like, let me get this straight...if i did my exam in 2003...

i woke up the morning of my chem exam, went to school, and did the exam...

i got out of the exam all pissed off coz i estimated my mark to be 62%...

and, well, it was 62%, so i got 38 whole marks wrong...

so then it got marked and alignec whatnot, and it become an 80...and i get the result sent home claiming i got an 80?

and so, i come to put this into a uai calculator to give myself a rough estimate...i put in 80 into the calc yes? and they use the 80 to calc my uai....not the 62...right?

this seems too easy..
Pretty much yes, you would have gotten 80 for your HSC Exam mark, and that combined with your Internal Assessment marks would have given you your Aligned HSC Mark, and that's what you put into UAI calculators.

123delirious

HSC
kevinx2 said:
Is the scaling approximately the same every year? Or was it just that particular year?

danz90

HSC
123delirious said:
Is the scaling approximately the same every year? Or was it just that particular year?
it does vary.. but i don't think by a great deal.

lil-monkey

HSC
could someone please explain all that stuff coz i dont really have a clue with how it works.
i thought the way they changed your mark depended on everyones overall not just the subject that you're doing.
like if the majority got a lower % then usual HSC then they give u extra because the exam must have been more difficult then in previous years.
.... i dont know i have no evidence just heard it from someone... but it makes sence.

P.S im stoked about the chem. you mean i could (possibly/ hopefully) get a band 4/5???

HSC
danz90 said:
it does vary.. but i don't think by a great deal.
Yep, depends on the difficulty of the exam and how well everyone goes

lil-monkey said:
could someone please explain all that stuff coz i dont really have a clue with how it works.
i thought the way they changed your mark depended on everyones overall not just the subject that you're doing.
like if the majority got a lower % then usual HSC then they give u extra because the exam must have been more difficult then in previous years.
.... i dont know i have no evidence just heard it from someone... but it makes sence.

P.S im stoked about the chem. you mean i could (possibly/ hopefully) get a band 4/5???
Explanation of HSC Marks

Razzah

HSC
Well that sucks, I was hoping that a 90/100 would give me an aligned exam mark of like 97,98... I mean there can't be that many students getting 90/100 can there?

danz90

HSC
Razzah said:
Well that sucks, I was hoping that a 90/100 would give me an aligned exam mark of like 97,98... I mean there can't be that many students getting 90/100 can there?
My teacher said she's seen people getting 94/100 raw, which apparently scales to pretty much 100.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Razzah said:
well lol that would all be to easy. bio has no skill required, its just a memory test. im sure many ppl get 90/100

danz90

HSC
syriangabsta said:
well lol that would all be to easy. bio has no skill required, its just a memory test. im sure many ppl get 90/100
there's def skill involved in practical components - ie applying your knowledge and concepts of validity, reliability in procedural methods etc etc to questions.
i reckon thats were quite a few people screw up.

tau281290

HSC
syriangabsta said:
The syllabus has changed in 2001, before then it was all memory test (go and have a look), now its all applications. The answers are so subjective that I don't even know how to mark them myself, even my teacher said it is impossible nowadays for ppl to get 100% raw since these questions are too subjective. Some ppl used to get 100% raw before 2001.

syriangabsta said:
5 marks for bio? so..chem and phys have to be at least 8 marks?
My bio teacher also said there is no more than 5 mark difference in aligned marks for chem and bio.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tau281290 said:
The syllabus has changed in 2001, before then it was all memory test (go and have a look), now its all applications. The answers are so subjective that I don't even know how to mark them myself, even my teacher said it is impossible nowadays for ppl to get 100% raw since these questions are too subjective. Some ppl used to get 100% raw before 2001.

My bio teacher also said there is no more than 5 mark difference in aligned marks for chem and bio.
Why would this stop people from getting 100?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)