raw marks for a band 6? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
110 + seems doable for me (my trial result) but it will be dependent on my timing- q 10 is a bitch as always and i often screw probability.

mc88

HSC
I just 86.6% in a practice HSC test...will this make it to a band 6?

572SS

HSC
imprsiv said:
96-99/120 shuld give u a band 6

75/120 will be around a low band 5 aligned

gl
75/120 a band 5???????

can anyone put truth behind this claim?

forevaunited

HSC
Isn't it all relative to how the state goes? If its a really easy test and a high percentage of people get above 95 or 100, wont that mean they have to scale/align/(i dont know the correct terminology) down? hmm im not really sure on that.

and whoever said that question 10 is a bitch - i second your statement. i very rarely get them. but the thing is most of em just require incredibly long calculations and differentiating something that takes up a whole page. extremely boring and time-consuming maths - makes me angry.

morganforrest

HSC
forevaunited said:
Isn't it all relative to how the state goes? If its a really easy test and a high percentage of people get above 95 or 100, wont that mean they have to scale/align/(i dont know the correct terminology) down? hmm im not really sure on that.

and whoever said that question 10 is a bitch - i second your statement. i very rarely get them. but the thing is most of em just require incredibly long calculations and differentiating something that takes up a whole page. extremely boring and time-consuming maths - makes me angry.
Question isn't really that bad...it ust requires a bit of intuitive thinking that isn't usually honed in 2unit maths....MX1 people will find it easier because we're used to having to think outside the box to answer a question. Question 10 is just a lock that, once you find the key, falls apart quite easily

Just look at what they give you, think about where your trying to go with it if it's a proof and look for holes in ur knowledge....that hole will need to be filled with some proof or number or whatever and the whole thing will work

samuel slack

HSC
Meh I fail at maths. I've been practicing past papers, and getting around 60/120 everytime. Hopefully I'll get scaled up a bit. I can usually get a couple of marks out of a question 9 or 10 from the first couple of parts, but after that I just get lost and confused... and plus it takes so long to do them. I dont think I'll have the time in the exam. Question 1-7 for a pass, ftw.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
If you're Band 5 or 6 material you could solve this:

The section of the curve y = rx/h (r and h are constants), between x = 0 and x = h rotated about the x-axis.
Show that finding the volume of the resulting solid revolution gives the formula for the volume of the cone.

EDIT: Solutions: http://tinyurl.com/25u2ke

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
Source (Primary): Board of Studies - Examination Statistics 1988-2000
Source (Secondary): Excel Fast Track - 50 HSC EXAM TIPS - MATHS (2UNIT) - Jeff Geha
Totally irrelevant as the system changed in 2000. Before that the mean and SD was kept the same each year in each subject.

samuel slack

HSC
mkay. the volume of a cone is 1/3 pi r^2h right?
Well. This is what I ended up with, its definitely gone wrong somewhere.

pi [(2rh)^3)/3h]... where'd I go wrong?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
samuel slack said:
mkay. the volume of a cone is 1/3 pi r^2h right?
Well. This is what I ended up with, its definitely gone wrong somewhere.

pi [(2rh)^3)/3h]... where'd I go wrong?
I bet the constants are the case of this.

Let's play let's pretend:

If rx/h = 2x, then if you square it then you get r2/h2 . x2 or 4x2 in the game of let's pretend.

Then when you integrate you get r2/h2 . x3/3 = r2x3/3h2

Along the way then let's pretend the interval h is 2.
h is a constant.
You shove the constant into the variable making it a constant.
So the constant can be divided by a constant hence. h3/h2 = h

= r2/h2 . (h)3
= r2h3/3h2
= r2h/3

or ...

= r2/(2)2 . (2)3
= r2(2)3/3(2)2
= 2r2/3

morganforrest

HSC
Yep easy....square top and bottom...take r^2/h^2 out the front of the integral, since these are constants, as well as the pi u multiply by since its a volume of revolution....integrate x^2 expand, you get 1/3pi^3....then multiply it by the pi.r^2/h^2 and simplify to get 1/3.pi.r^2.h( formula for volume of a cone)

mmkthxbai :wave:

But I <3 integral calculus...sequences and series is my bitch :burn: :bomb:

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
morganforrest said:
Yep easy....square top and bottom...take r^2/h^2 out the front of the integral, since these are constants, as well as the pi u multiply by since its a volume of revolution....integrate x^2 expand, you get 1/3pi^3....then multiply it by the pi.r^2/h^2 and simplify to get 1/3.pi.r^2.h( formula for volume of a cone)

mmkthxbai :wave:

But I <3 integral calculus...sequences and series is my bitch :burn: :bomb:
How we think alike ! :eek:

samuel slack

HSC
Okay. So before I do any integrating constant have to be brought outside the integral? Very nice... I get it.

slasher3689

HSC
Eh, that wasnt too hard... I got right up the very last part and wondered why my answer was slightly wrong, and I relised that I forgot to get rid of the r that got timesd by 0. If that even makes sense...

To be honest that seems more like a question 7 or 8 to me...

morganforrest

HSC
samuel slack said:
Okay. So before I do any integrating constant have to be brought outside the integral? Very nice... I get it.
They don't HAVE to as such, but it makes it a whole lot easier to see what you're meant to integrate and what you just leave....some people would make the mistake of integrating the r and h so bringing it out the front just keeps the algebra/calculus simpler

samuel slack

HSC
fair enough... urgh. I can't wait until maths is over... If i can somehow fluke a band 4 I'd be completely stoked...

mitchmacca22

HSC
the way my teachers always tell me is if you can get over 100/120 you will def get a band 6. it also depends on your rank, as in your assessment mark they sent in, and how good everyone goes

Armenikum

HSC
Boo probability!

Forbidden - band 6 student?

Maybe band 5 lol, cmon man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)