Raw Marks for First in course (1 Viewer)

HSC
Oh!!! what if both get 100% in 3U and also get the same marks in 4U? Will there be an equal first?
Very unlikely but yes, there will be equal first. E.g. 2008 had tied first for X2. In 2010 (iirc) 3 tied on 1st. etc. etc.

seanieg89

HSC
Is he the USyd guy?
To get first in course in 3U, you'd have to probably get 100% in 3U and close to 100% in 2U or very high in 4U.

To get first in 4U, you'd probably need around ~117/120 and you might need to do well in 3U as well to avoid losing your top place from ties.

If he's a "Dr." in maths, he must be a genius :p
Not sure what you mean by "the" usyd guy but he lectures/works there yes. Also there are lots of people with mathematics PhD's, most of whom are not geniuses.

seanieg89

HSC
Google it if you want some phrase to cling onto. My point is most holders of advanced degrees are just regular people who enjoy what they do enough to put in the necessary work. The word "genius" is thrown around far too often and devalues the hard work that most of these people have to put in...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've had this discussion before and I'm pretty sure he came EQUAL first that year.

math man

HSC
N/A
well what i meant before was that you would obviously need to put in a tonne of work, nothing in life comes easy,
no matter how smart you are, but if you want to perform raw 98+ % in a 4u exam you need to possess certain qualities
which differentiate you from 99.9% of the state. To achieve this result the following are needed:
1. Genius (this means you are naturally gifted at this subject)
2. Lots of hard work (obvious requirement)
3. Handle pressure well (even the smartest ppl who have the ability to get 100% can stuff up exams with silly errors. You have only 3 hours
so you have to be able to deal with doing the exam in that time without making any errors)
4. Speed (This goes well with handling pressure. Now if you want to get 98+ raw you will have to be fast. It is very hard to do well if you go
through the exam at a slow and steady pace and finish with like 10 minutes to check everything. Ideally you would want to have 1-1.5 hours to
check over everything or attempt those few you left undone. Now the method i apply when i do exams and re check is that i do NOT look at previous
working, i get a separate booklet and re do basically every question again. Looking at your previous working is a psychology game. No one wants to change
their answers as it is a waste of time, so this means if your error is not blantly obvious then you will miss it, so it is best to do as i said before.)
5. Luck(now this is not always needed, but it helps (duh). By luck i mean you just have to have a lucky day where you are feeling in top form and every question
you see the answer just clicks)

HSC
well what i meant before was that you would obviously need to put in a tonne of work, nothing in life comes easy,
no matter how smart you are, but if you want to perform raw 98+ % in a 4u exam you need to possess certain qualities
which differentiate you from 99.9% of the state. To achieve this result the following are needed:
1. Genius (this means you are naturally gifted at this subject)
2. Lots of hard work (obvious requirement)
3. Handle pressure well (even the smartest ppl who have the ability to get 100% can stuff up exams with silly errors. You have only 3 hours
so you have to be able to deal with doing the exam in that time without making any errors)
4. Speed (This goes well with handling pressure. Now if you want to get 98+ raw you will have to be fast. It is very hard to do well if you go
through the exam at a slow and steady pace and finish with like 10 minutes to check everything. Ideally you would want to have 1-1.5 hours to
check over everything or attempt those few you left undone. Now the method i apply when i do exams and re check is that i do NOT look at previous
working, i get a separate booklet and re do basically every question again. Looking at your previous working is a psychology game. No one wants to change
their answers as it is a waste of time, so this means if your error is not blantly obvious then you will miss it, so it is best to do as i said before.)
5. Luck(now this is not always needed, but it helps (duh). By luck i mean you just have to have a lucky day where you are feeling in top form and every question
you see the answer just clicks)
+1

HSC
OMFG math man!!!

I've been struggling with the whole check answers thing - GOOD TIP! I finish early but never end up changing my answers...

I will definitely apply that :) thanks

barbernator

HSC
OMFG math man!!!

I've been struggling with the whole check answers thing - GOOD TIP! I finish early but never end up changing my answers...

I will definitely apply that :) thanks
be fearless and don't check answers :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)