reasons to drop maths ext1 (1 Viewer)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
i've done my first maths ext1 exam and i got 20% 6/30 (second in class out of 6) and i got 56% in maths 2u. i was considering if i should drop maths ext1 early so i can concentrate on my subjects as a whole to score band 6's or 5's throughout prelim and hsc years.
Or shall i keep it for the hsc or at least to the end of prelim? (this will lower my results and understanding for my other subjects)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
It depends on whether you want to put any effort into maths ext 1. If it was up to me, I would keep it until the end of the prelim year, but only if I was going to put any effort into the subject to try and better my mark, and then decide if I want to do it in the HSC year. Your rank is pretty good though, maybe it was just a hard exam.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
yoakim said:
i've done my first maths ext1 exam and i got 20% 6/30 (second in class out of 6) and i got 56% in maths 2u. i was considering if i should drop maths ext1 early so i can concentrate on my subjects as a whole to score band 6's or 5's throughout prelim and hsc years.
Or shall i keep it for the hsc or at least to the end of prelim? (this will lower my results and understanding for my other subjects)
What was the highest in your class?

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
Hehe, 20% sounds cute. Drop it! I hate maths, therefore I'm biased. Keep 2unit though because you'll need it eventually. It's so hard to try in something you don't like. I came second for my maths exam but that's no achievement considering I got 78%. Good luck in your next test. :)

vizman

HSC
lol i agree, having no motivation for a subject really sucks, but just remember when you own a the test that can all change :)

rawr26

HSC
If your determined that you can improve, then i suggest you keep it.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
What was the highest in your class?
the highest mark for maths ext was 26% but for 2u he got 98%...

it's just a lot of effort to study for 3u since i don't have cambridge or whatever,...maths in focus...if i do drop it i will have 12 units

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
If you are going to put in effort to improve your marks in ext 1 maths, then keep it for now until you get into year 12, then decide if you are going to keep it for year 12. If, however you decide that you definitely do not want to do it in year 12, and have no intention of putting in any effort, then you should drop it.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
If you are going to put in effort to improve your marks in ext 1 maths, then keep it for now until you get into year 12, then decide if you are going to keep it for year 12. If, however you decide that you definitely do not want to do it in year 12, and have no intention of putting in any effort, then you should drop it.
hahaha my intention is to not put in much effort into it and i'm about 80% sure that i WILL drop it in year 12 :D

P

pLuvia

yoakim said:
How hard was the test? Well looking at the mark of the 1st person, it might have been a really hard test, in that case just try harder I'm sure you can improve and it's only the first test

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think that it would be wise to drop it in year 12, unless somehow you're improving a lot towards the end (nevermind your actual average for the subject).

That said, I got 47% for my first MX1 assesment prelim, and scored 97 for MX1 in the HSC. There is hope, however it relies on you putting effort in.

Whatever happens, don't drop it until year 12 - even if you don't put much effort in, which is think is a very foolish decision, keep it because it will help you learn 2u maths.

Nice taste in music, arnold182.

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
Yeah, I agree
3 Unit seems daunting at first and most people do not do extremely well in it for the first few weeks (or even months). As you learn more maths in 2 unit however, 3 unit becomes much easier..So if you want to drop, drop it in year 12. Also don't fret if your marks seem low. Things that seem impossible now will become easy and routine next year once your maths skills increase.

HSC
Students doing 3u in my year @ my school do 2u work together. (We have a separate class for students only doing 2u)
I find this a good way to study maths as we have the same teacher for every maths lesson and our teacher gives us 2u work first to set us up for 3u work later on. Of course we've begun 3u stuff but it's simply circle geo and equa and inequa.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
that's awesome, guys are REAL good help. as i have a pretty big dilema at the moment, you guys have helped narrow it down, i might infact continue 3u...hmmm then that means i need to start studying with that cambridge book ... if i can get hold of one...

Also: i will be honest, for that first test i put in ALOT of effort into it, and i did all the excerices in my Maths in Focus ext book (bad book...) that was related to the topic (trig), and i really thought that i had it all nailed down.
-Then i did the test and i was shocked of its level of difficulty.

Again, that M.I.F book disadvantaged us as my teacher uses the q's based on cambridge

Last edited:

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
arnold182 said:
Students doing 3u in my year @ my school do 2u work together. (We have a separate class for students only doing 2u)
I find this a good way to study maths as we have the same teacher for every maths lesson and our teacher gives us 2u work first to set us up for 3u work later on. Of course we've begun 3u stuff but it's simply circle geo and equa and inequa.
circle geo is cool, but not when your eyes are burning when doing an exam... :D

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
yoakim said:
that's awesome, guys are REAL good help. as i have a pretty big dilema at the moment, you guys have helped narrow it down, i might infact continue 3u...hmmm then that means i need to start studying with that cambridge book ... if i can get hold of one...

Also: i will be honest, for that first test i put in ALOT of effort into it, and i did all the excerices in my Maths in Focus ext book (bad book...) that was related to the topic (trig), and i really thought that i had it all nailed down.
-Then i did the test and i was shocked of its level of difficulty.

Again, that M.I.F book disadvantaged us as my teacher uses the q's based on cambridge
Buy the cambridge. It's arguably the best 3u book.

I've heard bad stories about the Maths In Focus.
Maybe post up ur test so we can see the difficulity ?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Questions I got correct:
1.a) i), ii) c) i), ii) and 2.a)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
A very challenging first 3 unit prelim assessment! Several of those questions are HSC topics, I think your teacher wanted to see how much you guys knew by giving you a tough test. I would suggest you stick with 3 unit for now, 20% is a fine effort for such a difficult assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)