Received raw marks - I think I might have found a problem? (1 Viewer)

snail489

HSC
So directly after the 3u maths exam (i.e. when the answers I wrote were still fresh in my head), I checked with Carrotsticks' answers (and later the Terry Lee ones) and I was quite sure I had received full marks for that exam. My exam mark ended up being 97 so I requested a results check and raw marks report. The results check came back with their stock standard "all marks are accurately captured" response; but I feel as though there was a problem with the raw marks.

MCQ 10/10
Q11 15/15
Q12 15/15
Q13 15/15
Q14 11/15

with this:

Q14c(i) 0/1
Q14c(ii) 0/1
Q14c(iii) 0/2

Now I know for sure that I attempted these three very last questions and got to their answers (the last question was a "Prove" - and I did manage to reach the required expression). Besides, for 14c(iii) where 1 mark is awarded for "recognising the probability that A wins the prize is 1/2" - I certainly remember doing that. Is it possible that BOSTES may have lost my very last booklet (I think I might have put 14c in its own booklet after running out of room)? What can I do to get this fixed or at least checked?

snail489

HSC
you got 99.45 let it go, enjoy your holiday and move on
I was considering just not bothering because I really don't want to pay out any more money for exam responses or anything..... do they refund it in the case they find an error?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Silky_Smooth

HSC
I was considering just not bothering because I really don't want to pay out any more money for exam responses or anything..... do they refund it in the case they find an error?
"the fee is refunded if an anomaly is detected"
I'd do it just based on this...could get your money back in addition to a better ATAR

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely give them a call or an email or something - it won't hurt to give them a check. You won't lose anything from now onwards, if anything you might get your money back.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely give them a call or an email or something - it won't hurt to give them a check. You won't lose anything from now onwards, if anything you might get your money back.
if OP is wrong s/he stands to lose $16

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
If you got into your desired course, I'd discourage you to pursue this further. Discrepancies like this do happen (sometimes to the benefit of students). An ATAR that further exceeds your course requirements, however fulfilling it may be, is meaningless. Think of it this way:

If they do not find an error, you are short $16 aka 1 pizza in real life currency, dubbed pizzalings

If they do find an error, you get $16 refunded or a pizza gain. However, this will take a few weeks, during which the pizza law of economic pizza depreciation stipulates your pizza unit will become cold and thus, depreciate in real taste (determined quantiatively by temperature, hunger hormone production and a constant, K which is proportional to your gut). Moreover, you will also gain a higher ATAR.

Thus, you should just go buy some pizza.

its nearly 3am wtf am i doing
I found this so incredibly amusing

snail489

HSC
Thanks for the help guys. I sent BOSTES an email last week like 4025808 said, and they told me that they'd look into my enquiry. Today they called me saying that there was an administrative error found with my marks; my raw marks for Q14(c) were 1/1, 1/1 and 1/2 (they didn't tell me what I did wrong here but I guess I'm just not as good as I thought lol). So the raw mark has been updated from 66/70 to 69/70, and by Friday I'll have the aligned mark for it (I'm assuming it's going to be 99).

Oh and feel free to use the raw mark info for the database - 66/70 -> 97/100. If any more data is needed then I can provide it.

Thus, you should just go buy some pizza.
i could really do with some pizza rn actually...

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Thanks for the help guys. I sent BOSTES an email last week like 4025808 said, and they told me that they'd look into my enquiry. Today they called me saying that there was an administrative error found with my marks; my raw marks for Q14(c) were 1/1, 1/1 and 1/2 (they didn't tell me what I did wrong here but I guess I'm just not as good as I thought lol). So the raw mark has been updated from 66/70 to 69/70, and by Friday I'll have the aligned mark for it (I'm assuming it's going to be 99).

Oh and feel free to use the raw mark info for the database - 66/70 -> 97/100. If any more data is needed then I can provide it.

i could really do with some pizza rn actually...
Wow congrats!
Don't listen to the others, just check it out because it was definitely worth it at the end of the day!

snail489

HSC
Received this:

"The Board of Studies, Teaching & Educational Standards NSW (BOSTES) has advised UAC that your Higher School Certificate results have changed since your eligibility for an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) was first determined and an advice notice issued.
Your ATAR has now been recalculated using revised results supplied by BOSTES and a revised advice notice will be mailed to you shortly. Your new ATAR may be higher than or the same as your previous ATAR."

MX1 exam mark (and thus HSC mark) increased to 99, and consequently my ATAR increased to 99.50. Woooo +0.05!!! I guess that's more info for the database too - 69/70 -> 99/100.

Also the student eRecord thing from Students Online has been updated to what looks like the proper HSC testamur (it has the state distribution chart thing on the side now).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)