• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommend a subject! (1 Viewer)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Er yeah, basically as it says on the proverbial tin - anything cool you've encountered course-wise that you'd like to spread the word about?

My first semester is shaping up something like: ARTS1101 / PHIL1004 / CLAS1001 / MATH1115 - but I think I might need to have a chat to someone or other, just for kicks, you know.

To the ANU veterans - do you think it would be wise to contact people regarding possibly overloading etc (actually, wait, can I even do that in my 1st year :uhoh:) now or can that shit wait till O-week?

P.S. I know its a crap thing to be caring about at this stage but is it possible to pull off a Science major whilst doing an Arts degree?

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I was told that it's possible to do a science major (I was asking if I could do psych units), but you can't do honours in that subject.

And I think I want to overload in the first semester... they say you can do it in your second semester but to do it in your first you need to get permission from the dean or something, so I guess I'll look into that... after I do a whole bunch of other enrollment-y things.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Eriny said:
I was told that it's possible to do a science major (I was asking if I could do psych units), but you can't do honours in that subject.

And I think I want to overload in the first semester... they say you can do it in your second semester but to do it in your first you need to get permission from the dean or something, so I guess I'll look into that... after I do a whole bunch of other enrollment-y things.
What other things do you need to do, enrolment-wise, I mean? I thought we were just chillin' till O-week?

And yeah, a titanic fucking 'yes' to overloading - just checked out how many contact hours I'll have with my currect subjects (it's, like, 11) - I'll feel like such a bum otherwise.

Evilo

HSC
I am here! said:
To the ANU veterans - do you think it would be wise to contact people regarding possibly overloading etc (actually, wait, can I even do that in my 1st year :uhoh:) now or can that shit wait till O-week?
I contacted the anu about doing it, they said you've got to have a reason to be overloading. they're probably less likely to say yes in 1st semester of your 1st year because your a newbie and havent really proved youself in the university world. But no harm in asking :). I'd wait until o-week before attempting to overload.

Evilo

HSC
I am here! said:
Er yeah, basically as it says on the proverbial tin - anything cool you've encountered course-wise that you'd like to spread the word about?
I was going to plug the geology (EMSC) courses, but they're really disorganised :). If you're into the environment caring/sustainability etc the SRES courses are good. They count towards both an arts or a science units :) and are usually very well organised. Some are better than others, pm me with the names our the courses you are interested and ill give you feedback if you want to go down that environment sustability path.

BTW SRES2010 Australias Forests (its a winter course - i.e. sem 2 break) is the best subject i've ever done, really fun.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I am here! said:
What other things do you need to do, enrolment-wise, I mean? I thought we were just chillin' till O-week?
Not much really, accom forms and a credit (status) application (although it said in the enrollment pack that I just have to bring it to enrollment day). Which I've actually done now. Yay. Now I just need to set up an ANU email account and join the ANU facebook network :p

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I terms of courses, I took PHIL1004 which was incerdibly interesting and I always enjoyed going to lectures even if I ended up being not too great at the subject, and if Jeremy Shearmur is doing the lecturing again, he is amazing. I also did ENGL1012 and ENGL1009 both of which were enjoyable (1012 was moreso). And FILM1003 was my favourite subject of all the courses that I took last year. I've also heard good things about sociology, which I wanted to take but couldn't fit into my timetable.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
its a must do :)
Oh yeah, I forgot that Unis have a network too. Then again, I've gotten a little bored of Facebook now lol

Is Psychology any good at ANU?

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that Unis have a network too. Then again, I've gotten a little bored of Facebook now lol
yeah i know the feeling :uhhuh: but on the brightside by having all the johns blokes added you get invited to more parties etc.
Schmeag said:
Is Psychology any good at ANU?
i enjoyed it.

Evilo

HSC
yes, i did every single 1st year sres course they had to offer :p
If you like i'll give you a detailed reply when i get back from work. Which ones were you intending on doing?

frederick.lee

HSC
yeh that would be really helpful. i need to do 1 science course each semester, so i'm thinking either SRES1001 Resources Environment and Society or SRES1004 Australia's Environment in first semester. for sem2 i was thinking SRES1008 Australia, Asia and the Pacific: Society and Environment.

any feedback would be great =D

Evilo

HSC
SRES1001 is a solid "care for the envrionment" subject. Pass marks are given if you can use 'sustainability' in a sentence. Tbh it was pretty easy, but quite interesting. It involves a learning folio (which is quite tedious), you have to 'evaluate' what you learned for each lecture/gues speaker etc. It's all assessment based, and there is no exams. 10% tutorial participation from memory. The trick with this course is to 'write up' your folio as soon as the lecture ends - otherwise you have the tedius class of backtracking through notes to bullshit in the folio. Has a small 2 or 3 night excursion at kioloa (the field trips combine if you do sres1004 too)

SRES1004 is essentially a geology course (but under the SRES prefix). It looks at all the basic earth systems and basic geology topics. It involves a 3 day excursion to kioloa (anu owns a base down there), and an excursion to The snowy mountains (good fun - and where i met my girlfriend lol).

SRES1008 is all about what factors define the Asia pacific region. I found it an absolute waste of time, and i felt really dissatisfied with it. the course is easy to get high marks in, but the topics were on pointless case studies. I didn't go to morning lectures simply for the reason that i would rather sleep in, and i knew i wouldn't learn anything. From what i heard it was a great course the year before, but this year they hired to post grads to run the course. Technically it used to be called geography 1st year course (geog) but they had changed the prefixes around. (same with geology - geology has changed from GEOL to EMSC (earth and marine science). The course has the same assessment criteria as SRES1001, except there is no field trip. Both courses had a 1500 word essay to write based on readings (was worth 30-40% or something). I didn;t feeli got as much out of SRES1008 when compared SRES1001.

*SRES1008 involves a group poster, which is tedius, but easier if you live on campus. Starting early is the trick, and proper delegation of work. Group work sucks major ass (lol).

You should have a look at the EMSC (formally GEOG) subjects too. And SRES1006(?) Environmental Measurement (that was quite good - and easy too!)

Any questions, give me a yell - either on here or pm. I also accept msn (if interested pm me ur addy and ill add u, otherwise no probs)
Catcha mate
Peace Out
EvilO

frederick.lee

HSC
Wow that was really really helpful, thanks =)

Since I'm only allowed 1 first semester science elective (for BSc(Psyc)) I think SRES1001 sounds pretty awesome (field trip =D). For second semester, hmm yeh SRES1008 sounds like a bit of a let down, and there's group work involved (yuk). I guess I'll keep it as an option - still deciding if biol1008 human biology would suit me.

I'm guessing that SRES courses don't require any previous knowledge of physics or chemistry? At least i hope not since i didnt do either subject for the HSC, but i did do geography and it was my fav subject.

Hmmm I'll prob email the lecturer or ask at enrollment.

thanks again for the advice =D

Evilo

HSC
nope no required subjects i.e. chem etc. From memory you might need english but i think that could be recommended lol.
tbh (the sres courses - except 1004) are not really a pure science subjects (its more an arts subject). But on the brightside, it counts as a science unit. :)

do have a look into SRES environmental measurement though, if you're doing any statistics course you're pretty much guaranteed an hd, and its all basic "apply to the field" assessment tasks. Last year we had to estimate the kangaroo population size on blackmountain by counting kangaroo shit (pellets) in special transect plots up the mountain lol. It was still good fun to talk and meet new people etc (and no you didnt touch the shit, and no it didnt smell).

frederick.lee

HSC
haha that does indeed sound like a pretty sweet course!
i looked up the environmental measurement course and it seems pretty interesting. the description also says its relevant to other social science such as psych (which is my major), guess i should enrol in SRES1001 and SRES1003

thanks!

Evilo

HSC
oh you're right, if i didnt understand something in SRES1003, it was usually covered that week in PSYC1004 anyway (or visa versa) :p It was coincedential overlap.

........................................................Exam ............Assessment .........Group Work .......Field Trip
SRES1003 (Enviro. Measurement) .... # ..................... x ........................ * ...............................
SRES1004 (Aus. Environment) ......... x ..................... x .................................................. x ........
SRES1001 (Res, Env, Society) .................................. x ......................... ? ....................... x ........
SRES1008 (Asia+Pacific) ............................................ x ........................ x ..................................

* involves 2 "afternoon" field trips on black mountain. (so not really a field trip)
? Dont think there was one - 99% sure
# they have online exams that you can do in your own time, with the aid of notes! (lol)

Last edited:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:

My first semester is shaping up something like: ARTS1101 / PHIL1004 / CLAS1001 / MATH1115 - but I think I might need to have a chat to someone or other, just for kicks, you know.

P.S. I know its a crap thing to be caring about at this stage but is it possible to pull off a Science major whilst doing an Arts degree?
oooh, i like your choices...

CLAS1001 is great. easiest HD i ever got. plus the lecturer is quite the minx (for a 60-year-old, anyway).

i don't really see the point in overloading; you'll have your chance to do other courses in later years. you can always do some first year courses in your second year, for example.

for other arts subjects - LING1001 (intro to the study of language = beginner's linguistics) is okay. somewhat interesting, though i realised pretty quickly that it wasn't for me. still HDed it though, so it's not too hard a course at all.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
CLAS1001 is great. easiest HD i ever got. plus the lecturer is quite the minx (for a 60-year-old, anyway).
You know you're in Canberra when even the 60-yos start looking tempting. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)