Recommend me stuff! (1 Viewer)

efhat

HSC
Hey guys, so i recently won myself a $100 dymocks voucher, and am kinda stumped at what to use it on. Was just wondering if anyone could recommend some must reads?

I'm into pretty much any type of reading but especially love mystery, fantasy, thrillers and classics.

ps. no twilight plz :) want some good adult stuff

edit: btw has anyone read Shantaram? Worth reading or not?

lychnobity

HSC
Hey guys, so i recently won myself a $100 dymocks voucher, and am kinda stumped at what to use it on. Was just wondering if anyone could recommend some must reads?

I'm into pretty much any type of reading but especially love mystery, fantasy, thrillers and classics.

ps. no twilight plz :) want some good adult stuff

edit: btw has anyone read Shantaram? Worth reading or not?
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (or an adapted version, it can get very long winded)
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

cassieagill

HSC
anything by jodi picoult - she mostly does 'real' stories about family, love relationships etc, her book 'My Sister's Keeper' is just being released as a movie

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (or an adapted version, it can get very long winded)
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Second Catch-22.

Bought it for a 9 hour plane ride. Other passengers thought I was stark raving loco cause I was laughin' too much.

efhat

HSC
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
i've heard Les Miserables is good, is the original version in modern english, or should i go for an adapted version?

Tangent

HSC
on the romance side, try 21 dream street by lisa jewell (i think thats how you spell it).
ummmm, dont know what fantasy you like, try darkglass mountain for a more romancy sorta thing or myrrens gift series(that was a good one, you didnt know what was really going to happen next), david and leigh eddings for traditional fantasy, and runemarks is a good norse mythology kiddy sorta book (i like the kiddy books... im a kid-that being said, keys to the kingsom series, the old kingdom series, his dark materials series (those fiends, they made a movie out of it))

=P

de__locke

HSC
+1 for David Eddings. That man is wonderful.

'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold is spantabulous. But 'The Almost Moon' is terrible. Don't get it.
'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel if you haven't already read it.

[offtopic: I want a $100 Dymocks voucher :p]

lychnobity

HSC
i've heard Les Miserables is good, is the original version in modern english, or should i go for an adapted version?
The original version is written in French, but translated versions do it justice, I think. If you can deal with the waffling ie digresses into a discussion of politics of the time (a lot of it is concerned with social commentary) then I'd suggest getting a translated copy.

An adapted version would be good to get the main plot from all perspectives.

Personally, I read the complete translation because I'm elitist and like to boast about having read the whole book =]

In either case, they're both easily readable, not Shakespeare or something.

Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
This too.

Andrei01

HSC
The original version is written in French, but translated versions do it justice, I think. If you can deal with the waffling ie digresses into a discussion of politics of the time (a lot of it is concerned with social commentary) then I'd suggest getting a translated copy.

An adapted version would be good to get the main plot from all perspectives.

Personally, I read the complete translation because I'm elitist and like to boast about having read the whole book =]

In either case, they're both easily readable, not Shakespeare or something.

This too.
The complete translation is really tedious. To have a proper understanding of anything the guys says you have to have a really good knowledge of french politics around this time, like you have said. I dont see how an adapted version would be any worse. it will just save you alot of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)