• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (2 Viewers)

L

leopard

Re: Recommended Books

lyounamu said:
Excel is pretty good. It has really good questions. But it lacks good explanation of the formulas & questions. I will rate it as 7/10. I would rate Fitzpatrick as 9/10 by the way.
Aerath said:
For questions - yes. But not explanations. Probably the best 2U book would be Fitzpatrick. For chemistry, the best book would be Conquering chemistry.

I wouldn't really waste a lot of money on all those books now. We're half way through Year 11. Invest a couple of hundred dollars for textbooks next year.
I'll get Fitzpatrick then. My year 10 science teacher recommended me Dot Point for Bio & Chem for both prelim & hsc... my bio teacher this year doesn't give two shits... :)

L

leopard

Aerath said:
And don't buy Maths In Focus. It's crap. (No offense, Sarah).
Maths in Focus is so shitty - my school made me buy it. :S

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

leopard said:
I'll get Fitzpatrick then. My year 10 science teacher recommended me Dot Point for Bio & Chem for both prelim & hsc... my bio teacher this year doesn't give two shits... :)
Dotpoint is only good for revision. It doesn't teach you jackshit. You'd be better off investing in a real textbook (like Conquering for Chemistry), unless you know most of your stuff.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aerath said:
Dotpoint is only good for revision. It doesn't teach you jackshit. You'd be better off investing in a real textbook (like Conquering for Chemistry), unless you know most of your stuff.
I agree with the above post. I didn't buy Dot Point because I thought I would get value for money in other textbooks like Chemistry Context 1, Chemistry Jacaranda & Conquering Chemistry.

Get Fitzpatrick for sure even though I prefer Couchman to it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Lyounamu - I have Dotpoint, Conquering and Jacaranda for Chem at the moment. Is it worth getting Context?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aerath said:
Lyounamu - I have Dotpoint, Conquering and Jacaranda for Chem at the moment. Is it worth getting Context?
No. Don't get Context at this stage. You basically have the best combination of Chemistry textbooks.

It wouldn't be worth it. Conquering & Jacaranda Combination basically covers everything that Context has. And too many textbooks = confusion. I don't know why I bought so many textbooks. :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

You have a heap of money to spend. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aerath said:
You have a heap of money to spend. :)
Yeah I did. I have about 20 maths textbooks and I am not using like 5 of those. I have another 4 textbooks for Biology and I am not using one or two. I have nothing for Business Studies.

If my results reflected how much money I spent on my textbooks, I would be happy. But it didn't (particularly in Chemistry). :(

bored of sc

HSC

lyounamu said:
I have about 20 maths textbooks
Wow, I now understand why you are so good at maths; so many sources of questions - you pretty much have an unlimited amount of questions!

Just a question: do you have maths in focus? Cause that is the textbook we use - do you think it is underdone in terms of difficulty?

I am thinking of getting another textbook, but I do have past HSC textbooks my sister used for the HSC - do you think that is enough - one textbook and heaps of past-papers? :confused:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Yeah, Maths in Focus is crap (no offense). You'd be best off getting a Fitzpatrick textbook.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

Aerath said:
Yeah, Maths in Focus is crap (no offense). You'd be best off getting a Fitzpatrick textbook.
Yea. It's common concensus that MIF is bad. :D

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

Err, what textbooks would you suggest for physics? mainly HSC and not prelims, but could any1 tell me both?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

bored of sc said:
Wow, I now understand why you are so good at maths; so many sources of questions - you pretty much have an unlimited amount of questions!

Just a question: do you have maths in focus? Cause that is the textbook we use - do you think it is underdone in terms of difficulty?

I am thinking of getting another textbook, but I do have past HSC textbooks my sister used for the HSC - do you think that is enough - one textbook and heaps of past-papers? :confused:
I do have maths in focus. I never use them and I think the questions are just so basic. However, I do like the explanations given by the book. They are easy to understand.

I reckon you may want to get another textbook or something. I suggest Fitzpatrick & Cambridge. They are the main sources of questions for me. :D

I do every single question in the Fitzpatrick book and it proves to be the best revision ever. If you have heaps of past papers, don't bother getting another book unless you finished with that. I somehow have 4 books that are related to the past papers. I should do some questions in there but can't be bothered to...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Devouree said:
Err, what textbooks would you suggest for physics? mainly HSC and not prelims, but could any1 tell me both?
I suggest Jacaranda Physics. I have the Physics Context 1. It is such a pathetic book. (I don't do Physics by the way. I studied it during the Christmas Holiday but didn't like it - that's why I dropped it).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I have Jacaranda Physics. Apparently Spotlight is pretty good too, but I don't have it. I also use Dotpoint, but purely as revision.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
Yeah I did. I have about 20 maths textbooks and I am not using like 5 of those. I have another 4 textbooks for Biology and I am not using one or two. I have nothing for Business Studies.

If my results reflected how much money I spent on my textbooks, I would be happy. But it didn't (particularly in Chemistry). :(
Let's say one textbook cost about $50. Just for maths, you've spent $1000?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Textbooks cost more like $70. :p

michael1990

HSC

Information Technology???

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

What about it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)