Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

aimhigh10

HSC
Re: Help with textbook for preliminary?

Did you do 5.2 or 5.3 maths at school in yr 10? im guessing you did 5.3 bc you are doing extension..
at my school we start yr 11 work at the end of yr 10, so we've already done about 2/3 topics out of the cambridge 3u book. Even with a teacher teaching us I found that they were difficult, but I think if you really put time and effort into learning the 3u topics, and do some exercises out of the textbooks, then you should be able to gain a general grasp and understanding of the topic. What I've been told is that it helps to start off maths topics these holidays because next year, maths becomes really hard and (at my school) it becomes really hard even to just pass tests. This year I saw many yr 11 ext 1 girls crying over the terrible maths marks they got..
So, i'm guessing, the Cambridge book has a bit of explanation, so I think that if you really focus and attempt to teach yourself, you should be able to. It would be quite a bit easier with a tutor but if you can teach yourself how to do it the first time, then you should be able to remember how to do the same topic without any help/teaching from your teacher.

aimhigh10

HSC

oh and there is always here if you want to ask any questions-

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Excel is a very good book for Mathematics when it comes reivion.

But unfortunately, if you wish to get a higher result somewhere around Q9-10 (2unit paper), Q6-7 (3unit paper) or Q7-8(4 unit paper), you really should be looking for textbooks that delve deep into contents.

Cambridge is perfect when it comes to give you some explanations.

However, personally, I would go for 2 unit Fitzpatrick and 3 Unit Cambridge Combination. That's the best combination that I can really recommend. But if you are worried about your bucks, Just go for Cambridge alone but I need to remind you that 2 Unit Fitzpatrick covers all Yr 11-12 topics whereas 11 3 Unit Cambridge only covers Yr 11 materials.

aimhigh10

HSC

Take lyounamu's advice, he has a lot of experience in the maths field.

And just a question, would the 3u Fitzpatrick and the 3u Cambridge be a difficult combination to begin with?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

aimhigh10 said:
Take lyounamu's advice, he has a lot of experience in the maths field.

And just a question, would the 3u Fitzpatrick and the 3u Cambridge be a difficult combination to begin with?
Not really, first set of questions provided by Fitzpatrick and 3 Unit Cambridge are always quite easy. But in general, I find that Cambridge is harder than Fitzpatrick. So I always start learning concepts with Fitzpatrick. Then I use Cambridge for in-depth knowledges.

aimhigh10

HSC

Ok cool thankyou :)

I also have the Terry Lee 3u Prelim book and the Jones and Couchman 3u book 1 (the only reason is because I got them both for $10), would these be useful at the beginning or a bit later?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

aimhigh10 said:
Ok cool thankyou :)

I also have the Terry Lee 3u Prelim book and the Jones and Couchman 3u book 1 (the only reason is because I got them both for $10), would these be useful at the beginning or a bit later?
wow, that's a really good deal.

Yeah, I also used Jones and Couchman 3 Unit too. I used it because I used it for questions even though they are little bit easy.

aimhigh10

HSC

thankyou :) so maybe at the beginning,
and i guess the terry lee will somehow work into my schedule haha
thanks for all the advice lyounamu :spin:

heart-station

HSC
N/A

Thankyou heaps for that Aimhigh10 and lyounamu! And yup i am doing 5.3 maths.
I really appreciate the help guys :)

I'm definitely going to check out both the 2 unit Fitzpatrick and 3 Unit Cambridge! But will using just the both of them be sufficient enough?

And i have to admit, i'm really worried ==
Aimhigh10 you've already learnt 2/3 of the topics in 3unit already? For some reason almost everyone i know has learnt at least half of the topics, and hence why i am scared that i have no chance of catching up, since all i've learnt are the topics that we were taught in yr 10 O_O

I think everyone in my class has started learning 2u and 3u maths since the beginning of this yr through tutoring.

So any advice and tips on what i should do? ^__^"

Last edited:

aimhigh10

HSC

Remember that you always have the next month and a bit to catch up on whatever topics you have missed, and if the other students have learnt the topics through tutoring, then you will always be taught the topics at school, won't you?
You always have these holidays to get ahead, and as lyounamu said, you can teach yourself by using the 2u Fitzpatrick and the 3u Cambridge :)

we have to wait and see what lyounamu says about the textbooks though..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

i used the 2unit fitzpatrick book, u have a variety of textbooks, the important thing is you UNDERSTAND the concepts and then REMEMBER them. then u practice by doing lots of questions and past papers if possible

heart-station

HSC
N/A

I just hope that it will be enough and that it works out O_O

And yup guess we'll have to wait for more info about the textbooks from lyounamu :)

HSC
my school provides us with jacaranda physics n biology, conquering chemistry, maths in focus. we dont have any text book for wnglish( cheap school). r these text books any good or do they suck?

dp624

HSC
They're good.
And most schools dont ahve eng textbooks.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
digimonstudent said:
my school provides us with jacaranda physics n biology, conquering chemistry, maths in focus. we dont have any text book for wnglish( cheap school). r these text books any good or do they suck?
The Standard of the questions in Maths in Focus is pretty low but it's a good book to learn the basics from.

HSC
dp624 said:
They're good.
And most schools dont have eng textbooks.
well than how do u study ahead for english then?:confused:

btw other than math is any preliminary knowledge needed in science n english? or is the prelim course for science n eng just a waste of time.

my schools got dot point for science subjects. is there a dot point for math n english?( i should n't have mentioned english. hah who would make a dot point for english?)

u know these books like fitzprack n cambridge. do they cover the entire stage 6 course or only the yr 12 course?

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
well than how do u study ahead for english then?:confused:

btw other than math is any preliminary knowledge needed in science n english? or is the prelim course for science n eng just a waste of time.

my schools got dot point for science subjects. is there a dot point for math n english?( i should n't have mentioned english. hah who would make a dot point for english?)

u know these books like fitzprack n cambridge. do they cover the entire stage 6 course or only the yr 12 course?
You, ah, do NOT study for english. i suggest that you simply view your texts and acquire the neccessary skills from practice, not textbooks

HSC
dp624 said:
You, ah, do NOT study for english. i suggest that you simply view your texts and acquire the neccessary skills from practice, not textbooks
other than essay n creative writing do u need to know any other teexts for hsc?

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
other than essay n creative writing do u need to know any other teexts for hsc?
Yes
letter, interview, article, heaps

HSC
dp624 said:
well is any prelim knowledge required for science n eng?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)