Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

CHEATER !! .. OOOO ! im telling on youuu !

=] yeah but they're NOT very in depth with their answers. I mean things like Chem context go into detail and I personally find that its "better". Dot Point IMO is purely for revision. Thats all its good for.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Yeah, I agree. You can't use Dot Point as a teaching/understanding guide. They're basically there for you to practise questions to re-inforce your understanding of the concepts, whether it iss chemistry, biology, physics or senior science.

karnage

HSC

Hey guys.

Was wondering if i could get any recommendations on some study guides

My subjects are:
3U maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics

Through my school i have a selection of Excel, Macquarie and Dot Point. Has anyone had any experience with these? Care to discuss? If you guys recommend another guide could you pls tell me where to get them in Syd? I'd like to get the HSC ones because thats my number 1 priority and i might get some Prelim ones. I don't think i need the dot point ones because my teacher usually takes some questions out of their and gives us a 'mini test'.

Cheers guys. : )

Last edited:

leannespeaks

HSC

since i don't have a tutor..what textbooks and recommended study guides would you guys recommend me? I do biology, ancient history, LEGAL studies , math general, Society and culture and english advanced?

i'm kind of havigna dire need for more textbooks in Legal studies..do you know any good ones?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

leannespeaks said:
since i don't have a tutor..what textbooks and recommended study guides would you guys recommend me? I do biology, ancient history, LEGAL studies , math general, Society and culture and english advanced?

i'm kind of havigna dire need for more textbooks in Legal studies..do you know any good ones?
The Heinemann one for legal studies is pretty good, Excel tends to elaborate on useless points, haven't seen the Macquarie books yet.

leannespeaks

HSC

SoulSearcher said:
The Heinemann one for legal studies is pretty good, Excel tends to elaborate on useless points, haven't seen the Macquarie books yet.
thank u :)

karnage

HSC

For Mathematics and Ext 1, can i safely say that Excel is the way to go as a study guide?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

As a study guide, yes. You can also use the Cambridge one cause it explains it well. Use other textbooks for questions though, only if you want extra practice or challenging questions.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC

Kujah said:
As a study guide, yes. You can also use the Cambridge one cause it explains it well. Use other textbooks for questions though, only if you want extra practice or challenging questions.
like fitz ? my main textbook is Cambridge .. but I do get other work from different sources .. actually, I haven't used my Cambridge much. lol ah ..

Cheap Thrills

HSC

SoulSearcher said:
I disagree. We use Heinemann in class and it doesn't help much. I use Excel for study and it exlains things waaaay better.

Just my opinion:rolleyes:

over9k

HSC

anyone know what textbook is good for

- bstudies
- general maths

prelim & hsc?

at the moment i'm using cambridge for bstudies and insight for gm

harniquen

HSC

im in yr11 but i have found for biology and chemistry that the Dot Point books are really good. they have lots of practice question directly from the sylabus and answers for all the quations.

blahmeh

HSC

Kujah said:
And theres barely any HSC 2009ers anyways.
Hmph...i frequently stroll these forums..

:D :D

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC

Hey.......
Can any1 recommend any Texbooks/Study Guides for any of these subjects.....
This is for prelim course

Agriculture
Biology
Earth and Environmental Science
Standard English
Information Processing Technology

VuongstER_boi

HSC

harniquen said:
im in yr11 but i have found for biology and chemistry that the Dot Point books are really good. they have lots of practice question directly from the sylabus and answers for all the quations.
me too@!!! I have one for chem but i'm eventually gonna get them fort physics and bio. Like.....it's so mcuh better than summarising form ttextbooks cos wen ur summarising from a textbook, ur not sure whether ur summary is right or not. I highly recommend it!!

lacklustre

HSC
Math textbook with worked answers

Anyboy here know of any maths extension textbook that contains thorough worked solutions (or at least many good examples)? I am sick of trying to find where i went wrong - usually wastes my time. (Cambridge and Fitz esp). I want a book that contains challenging questions also.

Thank you.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Re: Math textbook with worked answers

Try Maths in Focus? I know everyone says its a worthless textbook, but it isnt that bad..

lacklustre

HSC
Re: Math textbook with worked answers

z600 said:
Try Maths in Focus? I know everyone says its a worthless textbook, but it isnt that bad..
Nah have that textbook; it's terrible in the sense that it gave me a false sense of security and I thought 3u was much easier than it really was. Book is too easy and examples are sparse. Plus the answers are not worked out.

C'mon guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)