Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
Re: Year 11 Preliminaries Textbook Choices

There's no point in just buying books.

I suggest you try borrowing books you're interested in from the Library first, try actually using them whilst doing your work and see if they make a difference.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Hmm good point..I've got a sister going to year 10 next year who will need them anyway in year 11.

I use to borrow a couple of books from the library. But continously renewing them pissed the shit out of me. So yeah I'd rather have my own, fill up the space on my bookshelf and work upon them.

Oh and for some people, textbooks don't help. They'd rather go through past papers and write notes from their exercise books. But when my dad bought me the excel science year 9 & 10 book, it helped me heaps throughout science and I achieved good marks, when I actually extra studied for the topic within the textbook, instead of writing notes from your exercise book.

That's about it. And I will sell them later on anyway...so I can buy MORE for HSC :).

Last edited:

Black Hawker

HSC

For Physics I also recommend Physics Context (Longman).

And for Economics, I think the one published by Tim Riley is one of the best book.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

m.incognito said:
yes you should buy my dot point books!
Lol I'd love to :) But answer my question I posted =)

Ahh thanks for that Black Hawker :). Btw I'm not going to buy all those books I posted on my list though. Probably just one for each subject or less, till I finish.

And I'm buying 2nd hand =). So post away for all those sellers who want to get rid of them =). Or add me on MSN.

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

dot point isnt very well written. i wounldnt spend so much on prelim books. However, look for a book call "Practical Physics" by Robertson, Ward, and Ryan. Its got all the prac aspects of physics.

Math
-My school made me buy the excel, never touched them, excercises from cambridge is good

Economics
There is updated economics for prelim? (word of advice: updated economics is really bad interms of user friedly, however it has good infos if u are wiling to drill into it)

Leading edge-Heard it kicksass:)

retarded777

HSC
N/A
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

idea: how about not letting the library know that you have borrowed them so then there's none of this humiliation/roll call pains ...keep it as long as you want..then return it the way you got it.... :D

works a treat

for me anyway...the librarian in my school is blind(not really but just as well)

twilight1412

HSC

Razizi said:
2U Chemistry:
  • Preliminary dotpoints chemistry
  • Conquering Chemistry
  • Chemistry Contexts
2U Physics:
  • Excel Physics
  • Preliminary dotpoints physics
  • Jacaranda Preliminary Physics
your not serious right?
i personally i think you should scratch excel physics from your list
hsc or prelim there are mistakes and misleading information scattered throughout
jacaranda is a great physics book
and so is physics in context although i would advise buying the year 12 ones instead of prelim
chemistry in context is also a great book but as with what i said earlier you should probaby get it for hsc

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Don't forget Jacaranda Chemistry. IMO, that's a really good book with the layout, diagrams, user-friendly information and challenging questions.

Get the Dot Point books and Past-paper books for the HSC to practise, practise, practise!

tanna

HSC

What about for languages? Personally, I do French and I would love something extra. But I'm guessing there may not be a guide specifically for a Prelim course??

jellybelly59

HSC

getting confused... too many ppl going against excel books than there are ppl who are for excel books.... i only have an excel for legal studies and it seems alrite.... Heinemann for legal right? thank god i only borrowed excel from library.... love dotpoint books and chemistry in contexts but not sure bout what to get for modern history yet... lol razizi i hope u got scholarship there are heaps of books you are wanting to buy! :D

Edit: Yerp i searched the thread for "modern history" and just "history" and no help dere lol any advice ppl?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Well, for Modern History, it depends on what your topics are.

For me, I used:

"The Making of the Modern World" by Christopher Condon and
"Challenge, Change & Continuity" by someone

Rather than splashing your money on preliminary books, try to buy your HSC books now :D And for HSC Modern History, Macquarie > Excel in many matters.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

Don't use the excel books for Modern History/Ancient history or biology unless you want a really really basical description of everything. Plus, the modern history excel book doesn't always contain all your option topics so it's really annoying.

To be honest, I don't think you need any textbooks/study guides for any of the english courses (I can't vouch for standard because I didn't do it but Eng Adv, Ext1 and Ext2).

If you're really into it, Jacaranda textbooks for the science courses are pretty highly regarded in comparison to others (e.g. the Surfing ones, which again only give you the very basics).

jellybelly59

HSC

Kujah said:
Well, for Modern History, it depends on what your topics are.

For me, I used:

"The Making of the Modern World" by Christopher Condon and
"Challenge, Change & Continuity" by someone

Rather than splashing your money on preliminary books, try to buy your HSC books now :D And for HSC Modern History, Macquarie > Excel in many matters.
lol thanks for concern kujah but scholarship saves me dere... and since on i dont usually splurge on the money given to me y not now on textbooks hahaha ty for ppl for advice and kujah add me to ur friends list :D

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

jellybelly59 said:
lol thanks for concern kujah but scholarship saves me dere... and since on i dont usually splurge on the money given to me y not now on textbooks hahaha ty for ppl for advice and kujah add me to ur friends list :D
You have a scholarship? :eek:

jellybelly59

HSC

lol yerh but its only a 600 dollar one only... enough for me to spend on textbooks... y? every year our school gives out applications and if ur successful in academics, civics and citizenship, sport or music den dey'll give u one... its a ploy to keep the not so duh ppl in school lol

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

jellybelly59 said:
lol yerh but its only a 600 dollar one only... enough for me to spend on textbooks... y? every year our school gives out applications and if ur successful in academics, civics and citizenship, sport or music den dey'll give u one... its a ploy to keep the not so duh ppl in school lol
600 dollars is still a fair bit though. Do you have to buy school stuff, or do they just give you the money to spend however you like? :p

Either way, I wish my school had something like that. :(

jellybelly59

HSC

All school fees are part of the scholarship they wont take that off the 600 its all paid for u when u get it... Of course school stuff.... lmao i could try to give them a reciept for comic books and say its textbooks lol i wonder if the office ladies would noe.... lol

buttercupjuice

HSC

HIHI

well there was 12 pages to read , and by the time i was on page 3, my eyes started watering . LOL

so just wondering (if it hasnt been posted up already) , which textbooks are best for BIO and JAPANESE ?

emphasis

HSC

I need help getting a study guide for 3U (also 2U) maths. The only one i can find so far is the excel one but i'm not sure if it is that good (it seems many people dont recommend getting excel guides). So if any yr 11s (or former yr 11s) can help me out it would be great.

jellybelly59

HSC

is there such thing as a study guide for maths?.... lol i think it would be better if u just get one of the maths textbooks like the cambridge 3 unit maths... IMO it's pretty good... oh yerh don't get the excel for maths one... i borrowed it and it isn't dat great :D but the worked solutions are better den then BOB in textbooks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)