Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
well is any prelim knowledge required for science n eng?
eng yea, cos the eng skills come from much every area
not so much science other than basic skills such as pracs etc and knowledge of terms

HSC
dp624 said:
eng yea, cos the eng skills come from much every area
not so much science other than basic skills such as pracs etc and knowledge of terms
do books like cambridge n fitzbrig cover the entire stage 6 course or only yr 12 stuff?
+

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
do books like cambridge n fitzbrig cover the entire stage 6 course or only yr 12 stuff?
+
fitz 2u and 3u cover both 11/12
fitz 4u is y12 only for obv reasons
cambridge i think are separate, unsure

HSC
dp624 said:
fitz 2u and 3u cover both 11/12
fitz 4u is y12 only for obv reasons
cambridge i think are separate, unsure
i have $30. how mush does fitz book cost? the 3 unit book i have sucks. its designed to prevent students from studying ahead. the reason: if u already know every thing then u wont listen in class.

HSC
dp624 said:
You, ah, do NOT study for english. i suggest that you simply view your texts and acquire the neccessary skills from practice, not textbooks
i think a text book may not help u but it might help me. seriously the only thing my teachers say is a good text is one with all the 5 main categories:

correct spelling,punctuation n grammer
structure
techniques
sophisticated language
reader directed

but i reckon theres more to english than that. only 1 kid in my school ever got a band 6. i think it was bout 94 but i want more than that. can any of u suggest any good elaborate english text books which may help me? i tried excel but it was a bit eh.....

HSC
is the new edition of dot point any better than the old? the dot point my school provides was released in like the year 2001? is it good enough or should i get the new one/

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
i think a text book may not help u but it might help me. seriously the only thing my teachers say is a good text is one with all the 5 main categories:

correct spelling,punctuation n grammer
structure
techniques
sophisticated language
reader directed

but i reckon theres more to english than that. only 1 kid in my school ever got a band 6. i think it was bout 94 but i want more than that. can any of u suggest any good elaborate english text books which may help me? i tried excel but it was a bit eh.....
No, to even get a band6 i think you actually need to know all the basics already dude

for 94+ you're looking at like 18s and 14s

HSC
dp624 said:
No, to even get a band6 i think you actually need to know all the basics already dude

for 94+ you're looking at like 18s and 14s
yah well thats y i want to get a text book.

dp624

HSC
digimonstudent said:
yah well thats y i want to get a text book.
Get a good english tutor to teach you the basics. They'll ensure that you know your stuff faster and better than a textbook could ever teach

heart-station

HSC
N/A
Re: Help with textbook for preliminary?

Another question, what should i be studying for preliminary english? I'm pretty lost on the whole learning structure and what i'm learning next year. I'm doing advanced english and extension 1, are there any textbooks that may help me?

h3ll h0und

HSC

i use cambridge 3U year 11.....
i have a maths tutor to help me understand the stuff properly...it has decent exercise as well :)
but cambridge has no worked solutions....which is gets really annoying sometimes :(

h3ll h0und

HSC

im taking extension english as well.....and i dunno how to study for it ? or wat text books to use ? some of my frendz use the excel preliminary english book...is that good?

Rainie

HSC

In my opinion, textbooks for english aren't good. If you can get your hands on one of them, study guides are better for your prescibed texts that the schools give you. Study guides analyse in-depth content about the book.

For english, just keep writing practice essays and know your techniques well :)

Hope that helps.

h3ll h0und

HSC
wat do u actually do in preliminary/HSC english? do u do comprehension or is it mainly riting stuff? and wat do u write about?

Anonymou$

HSC
Preliminary Books

I'm thinking of buying textbooks (Excel, Cambridge etc.) for Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics & MX1.

What are the best types of books for each of these subjects?

What is the best way to get these books?
Like BOS, book stores, torrents.

Rainie

HSC
Re: Preliminary Books

From what i've heard for mathematics; Cambridge, Fitzpatrick and Terry Lee are good. Excel Mathematics is pretty decent too.

As for chemistry..Conquering Chemistry and for physics, Dotpoint.

For more information, look at this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org...ed-texbooks-study-guides-preliminary-hsc.html

It should tell you the information you need :)

The best way to get them?

Look at the sell forum on the BOS, they're cheaper as users of this forum sell their used books at hugely discounted prices =)

If you can't find any decent ones on the forum, Dymocks in the City stocks a huge range. Borders is pretty good if you've got a store near you.

Hope this helps :fish:

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

These are what I used:

Mathematics New Senior Mathematics - J.B Fitzpatrick (that's ample for prelim in my opinion)
Physics - Jacaranda Physics is really good, don't get Excel Physics - it's hopeless in my opinion
Chemistry - I didn't end up doing Chemistry but when I was researching - Conquering Chemistry looked really good.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

the-derivative said:
These are what I used:

Mathematics New Senior Mathematics - J.B Fitzpatrick (that's ample for prelim in my opinion)
Physics - Jacaranda Physics is really good, don't get Excel Physics - it's hopeless in my opinion
Chemistry - I didn't end up doing Chemistry but when I was researching - Conquering Chemistry looked really good.
Excel Physics is good! The new revised one is very detailed and a fat book. The Conquering Chemistry is definitely in everyone's opinion the best Chemistry book available. For mathematics... I believe that almost any textbook is sufficient (just some have harder work than others)... the excel study books for HSC maths are great, kinda brief in some sections... but very good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)