• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Regretting course selections!!! (1 Viewer)

Guage

HSC
Hey folks...if you could offer some advice it'd be appreciated :) Also sorry if I over-explain, all this HSC jargon's over my head!

I'm in Yr11 and so far I've been doing the following subjects (12Units):

Math Advanced + Ext1 (3)
English Advanced + Ext1 (3)
Physics (2)
Engineering Studies (2)
Software Design & Development (2)

I'm hoping to do a 97+ in the HSC (which I believe I can do with the right subjects). These are what I have in mind for Yr12 so far:

Ext2 Math (4)
Physics (2)
Eng Advanced + maybe Ext 1 or 2 or neither (2-4Units)

----------
Problem is, I've heard that Engineering Studies and Software don't scale so well. Even though it's about 8 weeks into term, I'm thinking about changing from Engineering to Chemistry.

In Yr10 I actually chose Chemistry -- but 1st lesson in, I switched to Engineering for a 'bludge'. This was because I knew I'd just drop it -- but I didn't count on Software being so shoddy and us having such a crummy teacher!

Preference wise, I don't mind either. I'm sure that I can make the time up.

So...what I'm wanting to find out is:

- If Chemistry (generally) scales better than Engineering
- If that difference is substantial enough for me to switch now
- If that difference could make or break my hopes of 97+

Any replies much appreciated :)

EDIT: Also, another question!

I was considering doing both 4U Math + 4U English + Physics for Yr12. This is 10Units, but I understand that whilst that's the minimum, I can't do only 3 subjects? So, say I do Software on top of that to cover the '4 subject rule'. I also understand that your HSC/UAI mark thingy is taken from your best 10 units? If so, then I can do bugger all for Software and focus on the others, right? Is this wise? Again I'm making lots of assumptions...

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
itt brainwashed kid thinking u need high scaling subejcts to get a good uai

lychnobity

HSC
- If Chemistry (generally) scales better than Engineering
- If that difference is substantial enough for me to switch now
- If that difference could make or break my hopes of 97+

Any replies much appreciated :)
Chemistry > engineering

Fuck all if it's "substantial" - depends on your ability to succeed in the given subject. So a better question would be are you better at chemistry or engineering?

SUBJECTS won't make or break your uai aim. It depends on your WORK ETHIC. And to some extent, natural ability.

Guage

HSC
Chemistry > engineering

Fuck all if it's "substantial" - depends on your ability to succeed in the given subject. So a better question would be are you better at chemistry or engineering?
Ok. Honestly, I reckon I am better at Chemistry.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
You probably shouldnt have dropped Chem for Engineering in the first place. Dont do a subject because it scales better. As it is repeated constantly on these boards, you can get a UAI of 100 with virtually any combination of subjects you just have to do extremely well.

You may not be able to change subjects now, depending on your school, but if you are you need to be doing it ASAP

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I also understand that your HSC/UAI mark thingy is taken from your best 10 units? If so, then I can do bugger all for Software and focus on the others, right? Is this wise? Again I'm making lots of assumptions...

Honestly, what do you think? Of course its not wise, how about... pick a subject you actually like and will want to do well in???

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm... hmmm... well mx2 is a good idea.. no comment for english since i dont like it, keep physics, its an excellent scaling subject if you do well, chemistry is also an excellent scaling subject if you do well. These are 2 of the hardest subjects of the hsc.. other then languages and mx2 included.. like the 2 hardest sciences... u get me..

anywho.. you should do chemistry, for a 97 it would be good.. but it depends if you can do good in those..

good luck

Guage

HSC
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I will see about changing ASAP; if it's too late, well, that's life...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't be too fussed over scaling. If you work hard, you can achieve the 97+ (if it's capable of your work level) with any combination of subjects. Your subjects seem fine as is. For the 4 subject rule and the fact that only 10 best units are taken... I would say that you could flunk the extra subject, from my knowledge, but I may be wrong... They may actually need to include 4 different subjects... :D
Actually that's quite a good question.

nessarhino

HSC
How do you even know that? I mean, you haven't even started the course yet.
Scaling isn't everything. It is the hard work you apply to subjects that count. If you did well in Engineering anyway, it wouldn't jeopardise your chances.

Good luck!

Guage

HSC
I managed to change! Thanks guys for your feedback. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)