Related Text question. (1 Viewer)

Clean Sweep

HSC
I have just done my assessment for the area for study.
While my mark was ok, the teacher commented that my related text wasn't the best and I thought the same.
So I want to use a new related text for the trials and HSC later.
I'm doing standard.
I'm currently looking at the song Gotye and Kimbra "Somebody that I used to know".
My current concern is that it mainly explores aspects of not belonging rather both.
Any other related text suggestions?
BTW, I want to use song lyrics, poems and short stories.

PS. I'm new here, so if this thread doesn't belong here , please move it.

cunliffe

HSC
N/A
I'm an English teacher and have marked the HSC so one tip would be don't use songs as related texts as they don't go down well and they really don't offer much scope in terms of interesting language techniques. Poems and short stories are fine so long as they are written by published and well respected writers. YOu should choose a related text that is a different text type to your main text. It should also allow you to further explore belonging ideas from your main text. It would help to know what that main text is.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with cunliffe. you should avoid songs for related texts. Poems always make great related texts because they are generally quite short and are loaded with techniques. Try to find one which not only talks a whole heap about belonging but also one where you can makes links between your prescribed text and your related text.

Clean Sweep

HSC
Thanks for the heads up. My teacher told me that a song was fine and she also told me that not to do children's films so I took her words.

Last edited:
HSC
I think songs should be fine as long as it has some depth to it AND that you can extract a lot of meaning/links to belonging from it. I've seen it done with Creep by Radiohead.

Clean Sweep

HSC
While I'm here, I also want to ask if I can use a prescribed text as a related text. So for example, I'm using Immigrant Chronicles as a prescribed text can I say use Strictly Ballroom as a related text?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

Cl324

HSC
N/A
I have just done my assessment for the area for study.
While my mark was ok, the teacher commented that my related text wasn't the best and I thought the same.
So I want to use a new related text for the trials and HSC later.
I'm doing standard.
I'm currently looking at the song Gotye and Kimbra "Somebody that I used to know".
My current concern is that it mainly explores aspects of not belonging rather both.
Any other related text suggestions?
BTW, I want to use song lyrics, poems and short stories.

PS. I'm new here, so if this thread doesn't belong here , please move it.
Doing songs or anything mainstream is not ideal
Children's film > songs
Best related text would be a novel/novella/short story
Try stuff by tim winton, a bit overused but better than what you have atm

Girls

HSC

GravezDigger

HSC
Did the HSC last year and always felt that music in general was a bad idea to analyse. Much of the songs meaning must be derived from its tune/tempo etc etc, not something you can discuss and make the marker understand easily.
If you want something easy to do, try Shaun Tan's picture books
If you want something more challenging but much more unique, try Pan's Labyrinth (An extremely good spanish film.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)