RELATED TEXTS FOR ARTHUR MILLER'S "THE CRUCIBLE" (1 Viewer)

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
I was wondering what related text would be best for Arthur Miller's "The Crucible". I got given the poem "My Father Began As A God" as an example of what text I can have as a related one. If you have any suggestions for related texts it would be very appreciated (preferably poems, and in regards to the 2021 HSC, so themes that aren't belonging etc). Thanks!

beetree1

HSC
I used Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Really good for exploring human experiences. I would not recommend doing poems btw haha (even tho theyre easier to read quickly and understand, you should go for a text that has real depth)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
-Brave New World (book)

-The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne (book)
- The Lives of Others by Donnersmark (Film)
-V for Vendetta (Graphic Novel)
- Fahrenheit 451 (Book)
- Guernica (Painting)
- Saturn Devouring his Son - Goya (Painting)
- Animal Farm - George Orwell (book)
- House of Cards (Tv series)
- We steal secrets: Wikileaks Documentary
- Winston Churchill's Speeches
- Julian Assange - The Unauthorised Autobiography
- An Inconvenient Truth (Documentary)
- If This Is a Man / The Truce- Primo Levi (Novel)
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer(Novel)
- Birdsong-Sebastian Faulks (Novel)

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
I used Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Really good for exploring human experiences. I would not recommend doing poems btw haha (even tho theyre easier to read quickly and understand, you should go for a text that has real depth)
I was thinking that too, but today is our first 'official' year 12 English lesson, and we got hit with an assessment task in about 3-4 weeks time so that's why we've been recommended to do a poem. Do you reckon its still a good idea to do a novel? Because I understand they have more depth and will have better analysis (obviously, you'd expect that with something a couple thousand times longer).

throwaway2318

HSC
I did Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti- I think I ended up writing about temptation and violence in my first assessment... treated me well as my related text, I guess. There is also quite a bit of analysis of it on its genius page

beetree1

HSC
I was thinking that too, but today is our first 'official' year 12 English lesson, and we got hit with an assessment task in about 3-4 weeks time so that's why we've been recommended to do a poem. Do you reckon its still a good idea to do a novel? Because I understand they have more depth and will have better analysis (obviously, you'd expect that with something a couple thousand times longer).
Yeah i had a 2 weeks notice and finished with plenty time. I would definitely do a novel over a poem! I also have some helpful documents for novels so let me know what text you choose and maybe I can send it to you!

mmmm.

HSC
Wait, do we need a related text for common mod?

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Yeah i had a 2 weeks notice and finished with plenty time. I would definitely do a novel over a poem! I also have some helpful documents for novels so let me know what text you choose and maybe I can send it to you!
I was just looking at the english syllabus under the common module and it states "Students study one prescribed text and a range of short texts" and its that last bit of "short texts" which is making me think that I'll have to do that. I just shot my teacher an email and he's also said to go for a shorter text if possible or a poem which covers the themes of "Texts and Human Experiences". But with that said, I'd really appreciate any notes on the novels as you've said (The Road? Brave New World? any and all), true life saver. Thank you so so so much though!

jojosiwa123

HSC
with 3-4 weeks you could definitely do a novel!!
I personally did a play instead of a novel, they're much shorter than novels usually and if it's a "classic" (eg I did one for '1984' from the Oedipus Rex trilogy, an ancient greek play) it's very very easy to find a reading and/or translation of it which makes it a lot easier to get through.
either way though make sure you do something that's a 'classic' whether it's a film or poem or play...there's generally a lot to discuss in terms of the universal human experience and you'll find critical literature surrounding it to back up your ideas.

beetree1

HSC
I was just looking at the english syllabus under the common module and it states "Students study one prescribed text and a range of short texts" and its that last bit of "short texts" which is making me think that I'll have to do that. I just shot my teacher an email and he's also said to go for a shorter text if possible or a poem which covers the themes of "Texts and Human Experiences". But with that said, I'd really appreciate any notes on the novels as you've said (The Road? Brave New World? any and all), true life saver. Thank you so so so much though!
Sure, chuck me your email

dhwanish.k

HSC
Could I get your notes and practise essays on Cormac McCarthy's The Road

bisi

HSC
Hey, I'm starting my common module this term, would you be able to send the notes through to me, please. The email is: biswas.simkhada1@education.nsw.gov.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)