Votes: 242 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,279 66.6%
  • Depends on the workload

Votes: 398 20.7%

• Total voters

er15

HSC
My personal experience and advice to future HSCers.

During my HSC i had two relationships, which in hindsight I regret deeply. My first one was a mess and basically after my ex left me I lost all motivation and ambition during the HSC. My marks plummeted and my rankings dropped as well. I went from first in Eco/Business to 6th but managed to finish 3rd and 5th by years end. However, I was able to maintain my Modern Rank at 1st. Despite this, I know I could of done a lot better, especially considering my mind and the mental state I was in. Climbing up to the top in Eco/Business was especially difficult for me considering the ground I lost. Although this wasn't helped by the factor after my first relationship I was involved with another one 2-3 months after. I know many people will call me an idiot for that and I agree but at the time I felt that was the only way to make me feel better and hopefully improve on my mental state and other aspects. Although this itself turned to be another regret, as the girl left me one week prior to the HSC trials which screwed me even more. And, so again my trials were not as good could of have been.

What I've mentioned is brief summary of my HSC and the immense pain and anxiety in during with a relationship, as well as the pressure of the HSC. After the HSC I thought I would get like low 70s or 60s, however, I ended up getting 85.30, which in the end I think was a pretty good recovery considering everything that had happened. But then again there is a feeling inside me knowing 'What could of have been' had I totally focused on the HSC for the entire year and not been involved in relationships. This is primarily due to the fact I failed to get the course I wanted at UNSW or USYD, as I believe had I dedicated and focused my time I would of have made into the 90s. Compelled with the fact I felt I let my family down because I did not get into the 90s, and the fact my brother managed to get 99.95 for his HSC. But somewhat ironically, the girls that left me ended up getting 88.30 and 90.5 and got into the courses they wanted. Sure some may respond to me point out the girls that left me did well and got their courses and moved on from me, but then again I was totally in 'love' and 'attached' to them. So yeah, this is my brief experience of having relationships during the HSC. It can either be good or bad depending on what side of the pendulum you are on.

If you have a stable relationship then carry it and continue it during the HSC. But I recommended not to have one during the HSC, as It can immensely fuck you up and ruin you.

Last edited:

Rohanco

HSC
I know a couple who formed during their HSC year. The HSC actually brought the two of them closer. Their situation is probably a rare one as they had the opportunity to always be with each other, having a near identical timetable and studying the same stuff together on the weekends, honestly no one ever saw them apart, they were joined at the hip. Like I said it's rare circumstances, but the HSC has the ability to bring people closer together.

RishBonjour

HSC
My personal experience and advice to future HSCers.

During my HSC i had two relationships, which in hindsight I regret deeply. My first one was a mess and basically after my ex left me I lost all motivation and ambition during the HSC. My marks plummeted and my rankings dropped as well. I went from first in Eco/Business to 6th but managed to finish 3rd and 5th by years end. However, I was able to maintain my Modern Rank at 1st. Despite this, I know I could of done a lot better, especially considering my mind and the mental state I was in. Climbing up to the top in Eco/Business was especially difficult for me considering the ground I lost. Although this wasn't helped by the factor after my first relationship I was involved with another one 2-3 months after. I know many people will call me an idiot for that and I agree but at the time I felt that was the only way to make me feel better and hopefully improve on my mental state and other aspects. Although this itself turned to be another regret, as the girl left me one week prior to the HSC trials which screwed me even more. And, so again my trials were not as good could of have been.

What I've mentioned is brief summary of my HSC and the immense pain and anxiety in during with a relationship, as well as the pressure of the HSC. After the HSC I thought I would get like low 70s or 60s, however, I ended up getting 85.30, which in the end I think was a pretty good recovery considering everything that had happened. But then again there is a feeling inside me knowing 'What could of have been' had I totally focused on the HSC for the entire year and not been involved in relationships. This is primarily due to the fact I failed to get the course I wanted at UNSW or USYD, as I believe had I dedicated and focused my time I would of have made into the 90s. Compelled with the fact I felt I let my family down because I did not get into the 90s, and the fact my brother managed to get 99.95 for his HSC. But somewhat ironically, the girls that left me ended up getting 88.30 and 90.5 and got into the courses they wanted. Sure some may respond to me point out the girls that left me did well and got their courses and moved on from me, but then again I was totally in 'love' and 'attached' to them. So yeah, this is my brief experience of having relationships during the HSC. It can either be good or bad depending on what side of the pendulum you are on.

If you have a stable relationship then carry it and continue it during the HSC. But I recommended not to have one during the HSC, as It can immensely fuck you up and ruin you.
Ifeelsobadman :(

don't worry, this guy I know: his ex chucked rocks at his window the night before physics trial!
He just regrets the excessive hours (5+ a day) wasted during year 12.

BiancaMaree

HSC
i was in a relationship through out my hsc. to be honest i didnt perform any where well as I could have because I was too busy spending time with my boyfriend. But if we were to break up for the exams I would have been miserable during them anyway. And anyways two years later my boyfriend and I are still together and me being happy is more important to me then spending days stressing over uni. :)

liz2814

HSC
Definately don't break up during HSC, especially if youve been going out with that parnter for a long time, I'd gone out with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years before the HSC started and we had a bit of a breakup not to do with HSC at the end of year 11 and I couldn't concentrate at all because I was so upset. But after a couple of months we got back together and stayed together for the whole of the HSC with no problems, just saw him on weekends, and we are still together now, its een almost 4 years. Maybe dont try to get into any new relationships but definately don't ruin relationships or cut off from someone you love, because your results will suffer and youll just feel lonely. Me and my boyfriend got high ATARs and both got into the courses we wanted, so you definately can do it if you really want to be with that person.

alycely

HSC
It's better to break up after the HSC. To be honest, relationships are a no-go during the HSC because of all the distractions and the problems you two will face.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Relationships can be the death of your ATAR.... (personal exp)

ayaa262

HSC
if you've been with your bf/gf for a really long time and its serious then don't?
if your not serious with this person and your always on and off like i am with my "bf" then dump them like i did because its unpredictable whats going to happen right before hsc starts and if you guys break up then your obviously not going to concentrate on your exams? x

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
if you've been with your bf/gf for a really long time and its serious then don't?
if your not serious with this person and your always on and off like i am with my "bf" then dump them like i did because its unpredictable whats going to happen right before hsc starts and if you guys break up then your obviously not going to concentrate on your exams? x
If people can't manage a stable relationship whilst completing the hsc then how will they cope in the real world? Are they going to stop a relationship because they are going to start a stressful job? lol

By this i mean stable, if its on and off then what's the point of the relationship anyway, it can't be serious.

Capt Rifle

HSC
If people can't manage a stable relationship whilst completing the hsc then how will they cope in the real world? Are they going to stop a relationship because they are going to start a stressful job? lol

By this i mean stable, if its on and off then what's the point of the relationship anyway, it can't be serious.
That is correct.

GreenJeans

HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've seen of life already (had to grow up pretty quick in the past 18 months), the HSC is the least of your worries. I'm not saying that it isn't important, but I definitely agree with the post above.

If you don't have the maturity to cope with the HSC together then there's little hope. No offence.

ashleigh2251

HSC
Breaking up just for the HSC is a stupid idea. If you want to go well, it is totally up to you to decide how much time you should be spending with your partner. If your partner is in year 12, they should understand the workload and give you space and enough time for exams. I don't think it should reach the point of breaking up. I think it depends on what you want to do/ where you want to go after school, and how serious the relationship you are in.

ShadowLighte

HSC
I suggest not to get into a relationship if you're close to the HSC but then again, not at all really, depending on the type of person you are. I'd say no because that's just stupid and could cause more problems. Don't break up, just both agree to let it settle and distance until the HSC is over and then get together and cuddle and whatnot all you want. Celebrate.

Reasons why most people don't agree on relationships now is because of the distraction + breakups which could leave people depressed and cause even more problems and such. i know I can't because I'm too sensitive a person and I'm staying out of there.

Threshold

HSC
As one of my wise teachers said:
Relationships at your age are bound to fail.

No offence people with relationships
but 18/17
come on

*Que "I've been together for 20 years and married" responses*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)