relativity help! (1 Viewer)

viraj30

HSC
ok i know how time dilation, mass dilation, length contraction work...But consider this: if you are travelling at 0.5c in a spacecraft your length will be smaller as observed by someone on earth..however from my point of view the earth is travelling at 0.5c so i observe their length and time to be smaller?? how does this work???

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why did you bump 1 minute after posting LOL
But anyway that's just how special relativity works. No one frame of reference is preferred over another. Look up the twin paradox in your textbook, it's some strange stuff

viraj30

HSC
when i posted the thread it was 9.58 and 58 seconds..when i started typing the words B, U, M, P it was 9:59 and 2 seconds later my bump appeared! got it?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
when i posted the thread it was 9.58 and 58 seconds..when i started typing the words B, U, M, P it was 9:59 and 2 seconds later my bump appeared! got it?
No, that actually makes no sense whatsoever.

Jaymay

HSC
His point is that you bumped 1 minute later, generally a bump should be made once per day. But yes, the concept of you posting it to what appears to be one minute.... makes sense

What part of the relativity concept do you not get?

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, you do not bump 2 seconds after posting. I dunno maybe you were just trying to get your post back to the top because someone had posted just after you and yours wasn't on the very top.

And secondly, if you're asking for help, I highly doubt that incredibly rude/sarcastic attitude and "it wont make sense to loosers" will help. You seriously gotta learn to be more mature and learn some manners.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
ok i know how time dilation, mass dilation, length contraction work...But consider this: if you are travelling at 0.5c in a spacecraft your length will be smaller as observed by someone on earth..however from my point of view the earth is travelling at 0.5c so i observe their length and time to be smaller?? how does this work???
well first of all the observed time is actually longer not shorter in both cases. I.E if you were observing a clock on earth from the spaceship it would appear to be moving slower than the clock on the spaceship, similarly, if someone on earth were observing a clock on the spaceship it would appear to be moving slower than a clock on Earth.

Second, I have no idea what you're trying to ask, I see no paradox in the statement. Both are just logical consequences of special relativity.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Note: Twin paradox is not required in the syllabus.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
And? HSC is not life. If he's curious enough to want to learn something outside the syllabus that's a good thing.
No I was just informing the people who were asking on the previous page.

viraj30

HSC
okay ill change my question: everyone knows about those atomic clocks who were synchronized with one flew in ultrasonic plane and the other on earth. When they analysed the results the clock on the plane was running slow..However from pilot's point of view, the earth is moving at that speed. So he would anticipate that the clock on earth to be slower but he is wrong. FUCKING WHY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)