• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

repeating (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hey guys, a mate of mine in year 11 (just moved on year 12) is being told by my school he is going to have to repeat cuz he has bad attendance ( like 70 percent) and 1 N award.

This does not sound right to me, seems a bit harsh for just one N award and bad attendance.

Does anyone know if there are BoS guidlines on repeating? or is it completly at the discretion of the school?

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
god no but i mean there would be a minimum attendance u need to meet to pass the prelim course or to meet the reuirements i am sure of it just like hsc year and everything so thats probably the main thing and what subject did he get N award in

beksta21

HSC
I thought there were only so many days that you could miss.
Like you had to be in class for 85% of the time or something?

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
Yeah, 85% is the requirement, bar misadventure.
That's for year 12, I think it'd be the same for year 11 being stage 6 and everything.
I have one day absent the entire year :D

nrs1990

HSC
The N award in itself is fairly serious... There are meant to be all sorts of warnings before you get one, and it involves a persistent lack of effort.

How many units does he have, and what subject was the N award in?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I think that's fair enough with the attendance thing. They give yo multiple warning throughout the year generally, and even if they didn't, that's a LOT of days to miss.

I got an N award, but was able to remedy it so it didn't go down as an N for the course, if they're making him repeat it's more likely he got one for a course, for which they give you PLENTY of warnings, as required by the Board of Studies. And if it wasn't for a whole subject, they still give you heaps of warnings.

I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous if your friend has let it get to this stage.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
The N award sounds like something very glorious =O

But I'm sure there were people in my grade who have well below 70% attendance...They still sat HSC I think.. =O

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
he had other n awards (they could have been warnings?) but he worked them off, hes doing the same with this one atm.

dunno what subjects hes taking or which the n award is for, is it particularly relevant?

his attendance comes from the beginning of the year when his parents got divorced, he took many days off then, since he has been going everyday.

what i dont get is why they are throwing this on him now?

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
yeah trust me 70% isnt all that bad. and if hes working off the current n award whats the problem? sounds like his school just sucks.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
-may-cat- said:
he had other n awards (they could have been warnings?) but he worked them off, hes doing the same with this one atm.

dunno what subjects hes taking or which the n award is for, is it particularly relevant?

his attendance comes from the beginning of the year when his parents got divorced, he took many days off then, since he has been going everyday.

what i dont get is why they are throwing this on him now?
He could try appeal then, I dunno.

Though at my school if you get more than 2 N awards, regardless of whether you try work them off, you're not considered to have completed the Preliminary course (which is actually fair enough at mine, because they give you SO MANY WARNINGS at my school before you get an N award.)

He has other circumstance too though, so I"m not sure.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
do u rfekon the BoS guide lines lines for repeating would be on their site?

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Yeah technically they are right.

you need to have completed the prelim course to a satisfactory standard in order to do the year 12 course. Maybe he doesn't have enough units. In regards to attendance:

DET said:

Attendance requirements for students in Years 11 and 12​
For post-compulsory school-aged students, principals may determine an appropriate attendance
pattern(s) that will allow each student to achieve the outcomes of each course being studied.
Students whose attendance is called into question will be required to prove to the principal’s
satisfaction, following a review of their performance, that they are meeting the course completion
criteria.
Principals must give students early written warning of the consequences of absences in terms of​
course completion criteria.

So effectively its mostly at there descretion with attendance although officialy if you don't complete the min. hourly requirement for your course you will fail.

Last edited:

henry08

HSC
N/A
I didn't even do the prelim course. I done it for 2 weeks, then moved staright on Year 12.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
henry08 said:
I didn't even do the prelim course. I done it for 2 weeks, then moved staright on Year 12.
that would be that discretion i mentioned earlier, that, or some other loophole.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
If worst comes to worst and your friend doesn't wanna to repeat then he has the option of transferring to another school. That's what happened to my friend at North Sydney Boys, he moved to Carlingford because he missed out on his prelims (this was last year)

As for repeating policy I'm not sure
If the principal won't let then there's not much you can do
And it doesn't look like he has a good history to complain

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ronnknee said:
If worst comes to worst and your friend doesn't wanna to repeat then he has the option of transferring to another school. That's what happened to my friend at North Sydney Boys, he moved to Carlingford because he missed out on his prelims (this was last year)

As for repeating policy I'm not sure
If the principal won't let then there's not much you can do
And it doesn't look like he has a good history to complain
Its just really unfair cuz he finally got it together this year (previous years he was a bit of a messed up kid) and actually began to give a shit about school, now they throw this at him.

The principal is crazy, its like shes on rohypnol 24/7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)