Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Interviewed at pauls, nothing yet...

Just got my offer for usyd today, so hoping ill get news soon. I think Pauls will give offers from Jan 11 for those who dont have any.

rx34

HSC
I have tips if you are going to be interviewed at a Jewish college. It's not that I want to stereotype but the interview is completely different compared to non denomination/catholic colleges. I was interviewed by a very popular Jewish university college in Sydney (not saying which one but it's easy to guess). The interview was incredibly formal and it centered around these questions:

1) What do your parents do as a living? (the interviewer probes for about 5 mins)
2) Who are going to pay your fees? Do you have the financial ability?
3) What does your sister do? Does she work?

It's seems that interview centered around financial ability and the other college interviews were more academic/hobbies based.

bio_nut

HSC
Hey bio_nut, congrats. How much are your fees a month? I just got a conditional offer from college too. I can't remember the price, it's about $420+ a week. I'm also going into second year. Are you going to participate in O Week?
I have to see if I can afford it first, waiting for scholarships to come out, but even then is rather pricey. Shall see.

Oweek is compulsory, I was told.

katastrophe

HSC
Has anyone applied for college and got interviews yet? I just got interviewed and was thinking of applying to drews but figured it's way too late.
if you're still wondering, my mum called up around the same time you wrote that post and drew's said they were already full.

i'm hopefully going into john's, depending on the offers release on 21/01, although i applied really late. i started reading this thread from the beginning for the info, but realised the posts were from '06 ... so i have a couple of questions ...

at john's, what are the rooms like? the old posts implied they weren't great, but still sortof the same standard as the other colleges. and what is the food like??

what are opinions on college vs university-owned housing? i can't cook, i've travelled alone a few times but wouldn't say i've ever been totally independent. cushy college life sounds like a plus to me, but the freedom of my own place?

also, i read somewhere that people can (unofficially) sleep over in people's rooms ... is this still true, and is it a same-gender thing?

LM2009

HSC
I'm pretty sure that at Wesley you can sleep wherever you want and nobody cares.

rx34

HSC
if you're still wondering, my mum called up around the same time you wrote that post and drew's said they were already full.

i'm hopefully going into john's, depending on the offers release on 21/01, although i applied really late. i started reading this thread from the beginning for the info, but realised the posts were from '06 ... so i have a couple of questions ...

at john's, what are the rooms like? the old posts implied they weren't great, but still sortof the same standard as the other colleges. and what is the food like??

what are opinions on college vs university-owned housing? i can't cook, i've travelled alone a few times but wouldn't say i've ever been totally independent. cushy college life sounds like a plus to me, but the freedom of my own place?

also, i read somewhere that people can (unofficially) sleep over in people's rooms ... is this still true, and is it a same-gender thing?
Hey hun, thanks for your reply. I actually got accepted in IH and Sancta's but I have decided to go to IH. I prefer that location as it seems closer to the business faculty and co-ed. Sorry I can't help you with John's but honestly, I would just take whatever college accommodation I could get. Finding accommodation in a new city is just a nightmare. It's great that your mum is helping you, my parents expect me to do everything by myself.

Oh regarding university-owned housing aka shared housing, I have a few pointers. I have rarely cooked in my entire life except for Year 9 elective cooking classes. Eventually you just learn to cook. The food I cook is still horrible to outsiders but edible to me. After a long day in uni, you really CBF how food tastes and just whip up whatever's in the fridge. Bread, eggs, milk, cereal and veggies were my staples.

In 2009, I shared a 3BR place with 2 other strangers. I mean they were really cheap and scabbed my washing detergent, toilet paper, cleaning utensils, knives and soaps. I should have said something but I just didn't bother. Living by yourself really makes you appreciate your parents, at least for me. As for now, I rather live in a college and enjoy life :) Good luck.

Last edited:

sophieisticated

HSC
Johns rooms are fine - I think that all the colleges are pretty well the same for room size unless you're really worried about a few square feet difference, and besides college isn't about hanging out in your room, it literally is just a place to sleep and study in (although the latter is treated with an as little as possible attitude). John's food is also fine - there are some nights when what they serve up isn't that great, but there's always the option of toast, toasted sandwhiches, wraps, cereal, fruit, salad bar, and utilising any of these additives to make the inedible edible in any way possible (I've seriously never seen people get so creative with food as at college).

Honestly, living in a college isn't about material things - its not a hotel. Its about the friendships you make there that are really like nothing else you've ever had or probably ever will have!

katastrophe

HSC
thanks for the replies everyone =) gonna cross my fingers and hope for an offer from john's!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Johns rooms are fine - I think that all the colleges are pretty well the same for room size unless you're really worried about a few square feet difference, and besides college isn't about hanging out in your room, it literally is just a place to sleep and study in (although the latter is treated with an as little as possible attitude). John's food is also fine - there are some nights when what they serve up isn't that great, but there's always the option of toast, toasted sandwhiches, wraps, cereal, fruit, salad bar, and utilising any of these additives to make the inedible edible in any way possible (I've seriously never seen people get so creative with food as at college).

Honestly, living in a college isn't about material things - its not a hotel. Its about the friendships you make there that are really like nothing else you've ever had or probably ever will have!
I agree, having lived in college equivalents for work. You get pretty tight with your crew. You get over food fast and learn to accept it.

It's pretty awesome. Really hope I get an offer and the scholarship.

rx34

HSC
I had a choice, either Sancta's or IH. I chose IH because it's really close to the law builidng and walking distance to the commerce faculty. The other colleges and Sydney Village are so far away. Good luck to everyone.

piaseczniak

HSC
Hi guys

so what do u think about IH???

Im going there so I wonder how is it.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
You get over food fast and learn to accept it.
When I lived at IH we bonded over how shit the food was. As other people have said, you can make toast/eat from the salad bar. Or if it is all that bad, there is probably some kind of pantry somewhere, buy yourself some raw ingredients and cook! Or eat out if you can afford it.

TheFush

HSC
Just got the information pack for St Pauls.
anybody else going to Pauls??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)