Resignation from the worst store in history. (1 Viewer)

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
I am currently writing my resignation from the worst supermarket in history.
Please, share your opinions on the piece of creative writing and maybe make a suggestion or two...

(The '***s' aren't there for the post, they're actually in the real thing)

To Whom It May Concern,

I hereby resign from my Customer Service position at Bi-Lo, Armidale.
Due to recent loss of position as the Bakery Department Manager for which no valid reason was given in relation to my performance or ability, I am no longer employed for enough hours during the week to pay for general living expenses.

I feel I will be a lot better off out of this position as I will no longer carry the stress and emotional trauma that comes with working in a store consisting of 90% female employees. I have come to find that if I comment on what a lovely day it is outside, for example, within 10-15 minutes the manager seems to know that I have made this comment.

I also which to express my concern for the overall confusion surrounding day to day situations in the store.
For example, it is a sunny Tuesday afternoon and I have a customer in my care requesting information from the meat department. Unfortunately, the butcher in at present seems to be terribly uninformed and cannot help my customer’s query at all. I quickly think to ask the meat department’s manager. But, alas, who is the meat manager? Why just yesterday it was young ***, a young lady who couldn’t tell a ham steak from a lamb shank. But today it seems nobody is managing the department. My customer walks off muttering about how they will now shop at ‘Woolworths’.

A simple example but one that expresses daily confusion.
Another problem in the store seems to be service in general. A Thursday afternoon in June, the store is bustling with customers, however there are only 3 checkout staff rostered. The service forecasts suggests 7 checkouts should be open. ****** calls over the PA system for assistance in the service department. Alack, no response. This time **** tries the same PA call. 1 person responds, by this time customers are still piling up and are commenting loudly on how terrible the service is at Bi-Lo. The *** department manager comes through ******’s register purchasing their lunch. ***** asks them if they would be so kind as to open a register although it was their lunch break. They refuse, “I am always on lunch at this time” as if to suggest that the customers should shop at a different time of the day. After 20 minutes of non-stop ‘customer pile-up’ it still continues.
The manager passes by and stops at the telephone to announce “*****, *****, ****** customer service please.” They all come to assist, including the staff member who was on lunch.
This is not just a Thursday afternoon in June occurrence but rather a daily one. Everyday.

I am led to ponder why it is that Bi-Lo Armidale’s customers are still Bi-Lo Armidale’s customers. Terrible store presentation and absolutely disgusting service are the key ingredients at this store, which is why I am so extremely exhilarated to no longer be a part of such a wonderful supermarket.

Sincerely,
Blankety Blank

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
ROFL how funny.

I gave my two weeks notice this week as well to Coles. But my store was ok, I quit due to some family/uni reasons.

I haven't been to a Bilo where the service has been great though. The checkout chicks I have had at Bilo have usually been really grumpy.... more grumpy than those at Coles and Woolies.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
lol interesting concept
if i gave in a letter of resignation to woolworths
it would be 10 pages long bitching about al the reasons why i am leaving

i like bi-lo..in general as a supermarket

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
You sound bitter, probably not a good thing to do when you try to get another job.

Anyway, I think you need to fix a couple of things, the most obvious:

"I also which to express my concern" should be wish.

" I feel I will be a lot better off out of this position as I will no..." You should re-write this to something like "I feel I will benefit from leaving this position..."

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah you won't get a reference from these people, I hope you realize that haha. And if this is your two weeks notice, be prepared to be given hell for two weeks.

I wrote a nice two weeks notice and they are still being really icy to me.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeah to be honest I don't think your letter sounds very professional, if you're going for another job, I'd make it more formal and professional. On the other hand, if you already have another job and just want to abuse the shit outta them, then go for it!

Generator

HSC
N/A
From what I could gather, the letter wasn't meant to be professional in the traditional sense and I doubt that he would be after a reference of any sort given that he is even considering handing over such a document.

I am led to ponder why it is that Bi-Lo Armidale’s customers are still Bi-Lo Armidale’s customers. Terrible store presentation and absolutely disgusting service are the key ingredients at this store, which is why I am so extremely exhilarated to no longer be a part of such a wonderful supermarket.
I know that you were after ideas, but the only idea that I could really think of at the current time would be shorten the piece somewhat and load the final paragraph with as much venom as possible. Just for fun, I gave that a bash myself :p:

'For a store with such digusting service and a laughable standard of presentation, I am forever wondering why the Bi-Lo customers of today continue to frequent the store. Thankfully, such concerns need no longer bother me, because I, not surprisingly, feel quite happy to be leaving such a fantastic supermarket. Keep up the good work, because I'm sure that Woolworths Armidale will thank you all profusely for maintaining such a high standard.

Keep in touch!
Blah'

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
haha i like generator's one.

i don't know why you don't just write a normal letter of resignation, and if they have in store feedback, fill in on of their forms, or otherwise send a letter to the head office, rather than your manager, outlining your concerns for the store, or bitch to them.

Then it doesn't impact your reference :)

superbird

HSC
i didnt even read it cos it was so long. im sure the manager wont either

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol generator's paragraph was great

it's biggles you're talking about, he won't want a 'normal' resignation yet he will still manage to get one manager's position after the next

my comment is to do something to the third and especially fourth paragraphs. you'll lose their interest while they are reading them and they might not read on, you lost mine.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
umm...You all realise this is a joke...right??

I am not really going to hand in that...It's just something to keep me sane for a while.
I've been jotting things down here and there and I will use the ideas in a more professional manner on the final copy.
I am quite capable of writing a professional resignation.

I do thank all of you for your kind comments though, especially Generator whose stanza has replaced the old one. Thank you.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
LOL i thought you were serious, you have done some funny things at your jobs that you have mentioned on here so I thought this was another of them

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
biggles id hand it in lol, i walked away from Kmart feeling quite the same way, i asked for a reference but they 'dont do them' !!! They treated me like absolute shit when I was the youngest on that night. It was all to do with the new managers... Id been there over 2 years and they had been there 2 months and i just feel they should have respected the current employees alittle better.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Benovista said:
biggles id hand it in lol, i walked away from Kmart feeling quite the same way, i asked for a reference but they 'dont do them' !!! They treated me like absolute shit when I was the youngest on that night. It was all to do with the new managers... Id been there over 2 years and they had been there 2 months and i just feel they should have respected the current employees alittle better.
:eek: that's really poor, what type of a shop doesn't do references for 2 year employees?

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
iambored said:
:eek: that's really poor, what type of a shop doesn't do references for 2 year employees?
i was told that the big stores won't give references. something to do with if they refer us and we suck, they can get sued for our wages back from the company we were referred by.

I was at woolies for 2 1/4 years and all i got out of it was a little half A4 page certificate of service. yes, i worked from x date to x date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)