Results for semester 1/2010 (2 Viewers)

onur91

HSC
N/A
Yeah but at least you didn't fail anything, so cheer up :D

Intervene

HSC
Hey xsavagex, how did you find Brand Management? I have to take a 300 level elective and I'm trying to decide which marketing unit to choose, 309/311/308/305? Do you get to take in a cheat sheet for any of those? =D

Lou283

HSC
hey Lou283, can you please help me for econ111... did you have a good understanding of maths to get distinction or is it more theory based?? what was your study strategy to get distinction in econ111?
Hey, To be completely honest right up until the point where I am opened the exam paper I was convinced I had no chance of even passing. The key with this subject is to study it constantly, you are not forced to because there is only one class test in week 3 or 4 and then a mid semester assignment. So I didn't study it taking the attitude that "I'll do it next week" and then that next week turned into the 2 days I had to study for the exam.

Don't worry about it being maths based or really complicated with formulas, they are basic formulas that you just need to understand how and why they work. Don't worry too much about that, there are only a couple and it doesn't take much brain power to do them, once you know the formula it's just basic multiplication and division. The key is make sure you understand everything EVERY week because they lead on from each other.

Some of the concepts I didn't agree with but you just have to accept them. Looking back now I could have saved myself a lot of stress before the exam just looking through my notes each week. My strategy for studying was just going through each chapter and then trying to summarise it without notes. You just need to have the understanding of each topic.

Feel free to PM or reply on here if you want to ask anything else.

Last edited:

fofanny

HSC
Got into eStudent so easily at 12.01 Was great.

Got such shit marks, I am SO disappointed. I got a P for everything

MKTG311 (60)
ACCG100 (63)
BBA315 (58)
BBA340 (63)

I am really upset. I was sitting on a D for BBA340 before the exam, and a credit for BBA315 so i was feeling okay, and then i just always go so terribly in exams. I'm really upset :(
I got 3ps and a c, yeah I'm pretty disappointed as well but the only thing you can do is look forward and try to study harder. This semester - all Ds!

HSC
Overall, much better than I expected:) :) Thank God mostly cramming still works for me:p

ENVG111 D (79)
PHL137 D (81)
SOC175 HD (85)
SOC100 HD (88)

Am lolling at the last one, it's the one I got crappiest for in my first assignment and I was worried I'd get a CP or P only since we'd only gotten the results for the first assignment before the final exam/assignment and I thought they marked harshly.

Though it sucks because I guess I'll still have to wait 'til next year to transfer into Social Science/Law so I'll have to do an extra year of Uni. Stupid missing 0.3 of a percentile ATAR *shakes fist* :p Nah I'm happy:)

ftsklol_

HSC
Hey how did you find ISYS100 and Engl120? I am thinking of doing both of these as my planet unit (next sem) and an elective (next yr).

Congrats everyone!

I got:

ACST101 - Cr
BBA102 - D
ECON111 - D
MKTG101 - D

ISYS100 was pretty easy. The workload wasn't that heavy, a few quizzes every few weeks, no final exam. It was a bit disorganised [e.g. lectures cancelled 20mins in because the lecturer thinks they're boring], but that was probably only because it was the first time this unit was run.

I didn't really like ENGL120 and only did it because it was a pre-req for classes I want to do later. TBH, I found a lot of the topics covered uninteresting...

Lou283

HSC
ISYS100 was pretty easy. The workload wasn't that heavy, a few quizzes every few weeks, no final exam. It was a bit disorganised [e.g. lectures cancelled 20mins in because the lecturer thinks they're boring], but that was probably only because it was the first time this unit was run.

I didn't really like ENGL120 and only did it because it was a pre-req for classes I want to do later. TBH, I found a lot of the topics covered uninteresting...
Yeh I only want to do ENGL120 because i want to do ENGL201 to improve my writing but ENGL120 is a pre-req. Would you suggest as someone not all that interested in genre writing etc I not bother? Is it hard to pass if you find it uninteresting?

Thanks,

Lou

ftsklol_

HSC
Yeh I only want to do ENGL120 because i want to do ENGL201 to improve my writing but ENGL120 is a pre-req. Would you suggest as someone not all that interested in genre writing etc I not bother? Is it hard to pass if you find it uninteresting?

Thanks,

Lou

I guess it just depends on how much you want to do engl201 and if it's worth putting up with a, quite frankly, boring unit. I put up with engl120 because I really wanted to do the music and arts journalism unit.

I didn't find it that hard to pass. I did the bare minimum in terms of the readings and actual studying, and still managed to pass.

xsavagex

HSC
Yeah but at least you didn't fail anything, so cheer up :D
fofanny said:
I got 3ps and a c, yeah I'm pretty disappointed as well but the only thing you can do is look forward and try to study harder. This semester - all Ds!
Thanks guys :) Made me feel better. It's just so disappointing when you expect better, but i'll try make my last 4 subjects my best :D

intervene said:
Hey xsavagex, how did you find Brand Management? I have to take a 300 level elective and I'm trying to decide which marketing unit to choose, 309/311/308/305? Do you get to take in a cheat sheet for any of those? =D
Out of those i've only done 311. I found it okay, it was really interesting and I liked all the subjects but struggled with some of the ideas in it. I also found the lecturer to be a tough marker. Nup you can't take in a cheat sheet for 311 but it's only a 2 hour exam which is alright!

I reallly wanted to do 309 but realised i didn't need it, although i'm thinking about doing it anyway because i reckon it sounds really interesting!

HSC
hey Lou283, can you please help me for econ111... did you have a good understanding of maths to get distinction or is it more theory based?? what was your study strategy to get distinction in econ111?
yeah im not the typical lou283, but i got a HD in econ 111 lol.

in this particular subject you absolutely DO NOT need a good understanding of maths, the exam isnt maths nor is any mid sem or anything.. so if i were you i would put less time in figuring out complex maths based questions and focus more on understanding the actual graphs and the adjustements to the new positions when something happens.

you however, to get good marks you also need to understand how to do the maths, although i do not think its examinable but it helps you understand the graphs more..

hence, you need to understand ALL graphs in the lecture notes and read the textbook and can fully describe what is going on in the actual graph --> defoo a high credit to D.

you should make summaries on a DAILY BASIS, and dont leave summaries to the very last minute, because you will be SCREWED! as there is so much to get through in econ 111 that its not even funny!

ijust to let you know, if you did econ 110,,, econ 111 is NOTHING like it at all! even though they are both in relation to econ, and there are soo many graphs and etc than econ 110.

only econ 203 (microeconomic analysis) which you may or may not cover according to your course, will have to deal with a large amount of maths and graphs. its more advance level than econ 111.
so dont need to worry about the maths for econ 111 =]

however, i advise you not to choose econ 203 if you had a choice! becasue it is crazyyy maths to the point i cant even explain! more longger hours needing to put in to it to actually do well! i got 93% HD in it but i was studyingg like a bitch for it.

so if your not a maths person, do not choose econ 203, you will regret it.

i hope i helped =]

onur91

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys :) Made me feel better. It's just so disappointing when you expect better, but i'll try make my last 4 subjects my best :D
No worries, I keep on having that problem, I promise myself to work hard each semester but I just can't seem to achieve anything. Next semester will be better......i'll probably end up making the same promise at the end of semester two :p

ascentyx

HSC
How was Accg 252? was it hard, any idea on whether it is tougher than 253?
I've heard that 252 is a more mathematical version of 253 that is meant to bridge the gap between the 200 and 300 level finance units. I didn't find the maths in the subject difficult, but keep in mind I'm doing an actuarial degree so I'm meant to be decent at maths. The final exam was mostly theory (unfortunately :( lol) and it had 114 multiple choice (so ridiculous) + some short answers. Most of the difficult content (black scholes etc) is made easy since they only require you to know the inputs and stuff and you don't really need to know or understand the formula.

Lou283

HSC
yeah im not the typical lou283, but i got a HD in econ 111 lol.

in this particular subject you absolutely DO NOT need a good understanding of maths, the exam isnt maths nor is any mid sem or anything.. so if i were you i would put less time in figuring out complex maths based questions and focus more on understanding the actual graphs and the adjustements to the new positions when something happens.

you however, to get good marks you also need to understand how to do the maths, although i do not think its examinable but it helps you understand the graphs more..

hence, you need to understand ALL graphs in the lecture notes and read the textbook and can fully describe what is going on in the actual graph --> defoo a high credit to D.

you should make summaries on a DAILY BASIS, and dont leave summaries to the very last minute, because you will be SCREWED! as there is so much to get through in econ 111 that its not even funny!

ijust to let you know, if you did econ 110,,, econ 111 is NOTHING like it at all! even though they are both in relation to econ, and there are soo many graphs and etc than econ 110.

only econ 203 (microeconomic analysis) which you may or may not cover according to your course, will have to deal with a large amount of maths and graphs. its more advance level than econ 111.
so dont need to worry about the maths for econ 111 =]

however, i advise you not to choose econ 203 if you had a choice! becasue it is crazyyy maths to the point i cant even explain! more longger hours needing to put in to it to actually do well! i got 93% HD in it but i was studyingg like a bitch for it.

so if your not a maths person, do not choose econ 203, you will regret it.

i hope i helped =]
Completely agree! I am one of those people who didn't make notes as I went, mostly because I had ACST101 to worry about and I wasn't really forced to with ECON111 BUT I really paid for it come exam time. Yes I still got a D for ECON111 but I had to study my ass off to get that. ECON111 should not be left to last minute. The best advice anyone can give you for this unit, is don't get overwhelmed just make sure you understand the concepts EVERY week and you understand why the graphs are the way they are!

Good luck for this subject, you will be fine.

Lou

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)