Resumes in person, or online (1 Viewer)

TheDmac

HSC
Tommorow i'm going down to my local shopping center to hand in resumes.

What i'm worried about though is that i'll get knocked back and not even be able to hand in a resume because a lot of it is online now. Safeway, BigW, Coles etc i'll stay clear of and do online, but is there a chance smaller stores will accept my resume? Examples being pets pardise, eb games, book stores etc.

I'm thinking of handing it in and saying I'm wishing to hand my resume in as a expression of interest or something. If anyone has suggestions on what to say, go ahead :p

I'll be handing resumes in even if i see a hiring sign or not, i'm desperate.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I know that EB games has an online application process, but if the store is franchised the manager/owner will often take a resume anyway. Not sure if there are many that do this, but it's worth a try.

Don't worry about online application until they tell you about it. Fronting up leaves an impression anyway. If they tell you about the online application process, say that you'll do it as soon as you get home and ask if they'll take a hard copy of your resume anyway (shows enthusiasm).

Just go and ask all the smaller stores, and apply online if directed.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Tommorow i'm going down to my local shopping center to hand in resumes.

What i'm worried about though is that i'll get knocked back and not even be able to hand in a resume because a lot of it is online now. Safeway, BigW, Coles etc i'll stay clear of and do online, but is there a chance smaller stores will accept my resume? Examples being pets pardise, eb games, book stores etc.

I'm thinking of handing it in and saying I'm wishing to hand my resume in as a expression of interest or something. If anyone has suggestions on what to say, go ahead :p

I'll be handing resumes in even if i see a hiring sign or not, i'm desperate.
Definitely go for it at the smaller stores (just check on their websites first in case they do have an online application process). Even if there's no sign up in the window, many stores will keep resumes on file for a couple of months in case a position becomes available.

If whoever is taking the resume does not offer to keep it on file automatically, just say "I know you may not have positions available currently, but I'm interested in working for your company in the future if one comes up". Try and hand it in to the most senior person on duty.

Be super friendly, smile lots, go in well dressed and alone (if you're nervous, let a friend or family member wait for you outside). This will make the difference between your resume being passed on to management or making it's way into the bin.

Good luck! :)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
a lot of chain stores (i know the just group - just jeans, smiggle, dotti, peter alexander, jacqui.e- and the bb retail group - sanity, bras and things, dusk diva- in particular) actually have to have a resume online to process the application. That being said, there's no harm in taking your resume into the store and handing it to the manager.

although, it has been my experience that not many stores will look at you if they dont have positions, and most hire around September for Christmas. I have never known a chain store to keep a resume on file, and most throw them out if they are not hiring.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
a lot of chain stores (i know the just group - just jeans, smiggle, dotti, peter alexander, jacqui.e- and the bb retail group - sanity, bras and things, dusk diva- in particular) actually have to have a resume online to process the application. That being said, there's no harm in taking your resume into the store and handing it to the manager.

although, it has been my experience that not many stores will look at you if they dont have positions, and most hire around September for Christmas. I have never known a chain store to keep a resume on file, and most throw them out if they are not hiring.
The September thing didn't even happen around here last year. Neither did it happen for easter.

There's almost no way of getting employed here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)