Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
*points at mclake* u forgot one ;)

anyways, all kinds of discussions, questions, etc for the 'greatest' ext eng elective, RTFG, will take place here...hurrah!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
whoever came up with RFTG is a cocksucker. it HAS to be the hardest module with shitty related texts

chip

HSC
yeh i guess you didnt get the sarcasm

althought its ok i'm getting into it very slowly

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
*points at mclake* u forgot one ;)
I know. For the others I just picked the best thread ans "stickyfied" it. There was no useful thread for RFTG.

Rahul

Dead Member
thats ok:)

so lets get things started....

Retreat From The Global is a positive and negative idea. Discuss. (hey that sounds like a hsc question:p, sorta)

foxy

i was made for lovin u...
agree with BaByDoll that IT IS SO complicated compared to the others! i read the past hsc questions on it, and i couldnt even find the jist of the what they wanted! and how it even related to the crap we are learning now!

anyway....i think rftg is negative...in none of the related texts is it shown as positive!! cant think of anything else. head hurts.

chip

HSC
hey did you read with the ideas have legs and good composers run with them question? wtf after i'd laughed for a hour i still wouldnt be able to answer it

i think the rftg is positive becuase it shows how tradition and our past is important and often this is forgotten in this global community...... it shows that simple values and beliefs are more important than technological advances or whatever

yeh i think the concept is positive

chip

HSC
but at the same time it sorta goes against progress and i guess that is negative

Rahul

Dead Member
umm, it is such a complicated topic, but it is also very open to interpretation.
rtfg basically states the process which is opposite to globalisation. this would be the 'retreat'.

it think it is quite important that both sides, ie posistive and negaive, are looked at.

it would be positive because some texts would show the retreat as a way of holding on to traditions and beliefs, like what chip mentioned. on the other hand, globalisation can be looked from the point of view that it is a good thing. looking at communication, medical advances, etc.
some texts like The Castle show both these things. the obvious one being that the global is very 'bad' and the pressure it is putting on the locality. at the same time the audience can see how 'uncultured' the kerrigans are. they are totally oblivious to the world outside their lives and can be perceived as very anti-global. this places rtfg in a negative light.

chip

HSC
i find the rftg in the castle abit different to those in the other prescribed texts because its like they already have retreated and now they must use the global, become integrated through the court cases and use of QC, to find the answer to their problems thus instead of turning inward they must move outwards..... dont know if that made sense......

foxy

mmm well... this whole "texts and ways of thinking" also has to come into RTFG somehow.

so i'm thinking, all it means is...composers have used this idea (global vs. local) in their texts. And there are many WAYS OF THINKING about globalisation/localism, so we are technically analysing different composers 'ways of thinking' towards this topic. riiiight.

or am i confused again?

yeah, chip, i read that '....legs and composers run with them" question! if i got that in my exam i wouldve cried! maybe they mean what i said above, that composers have different ideas RTFG.

who knows! such a headspinnin topic!! :confused:

Rahul

Dead Member
"composers way of thinking towards RFTG"....i like that!! i think that would involve the rubric. that seems to be what many ppl do, but to see it pointed out like that helps.:)

to chip, the castle is a text where u can use a GLOCAL argument, when the local and global combine, when the QC(lawyer- GLOBALISM) helps the kerrigans and the local community. its significance, i dont know, but it sure is interesting.

what texts is everyone doing? i am doing castle, shipping news and bone people.

chip

HSC
we have looked at castle, alistar macleod (short stories) and seamus heaney (poems) and we were told to read shipping news but probably wont be studying it now

i read it and liked it i think i was the only one

foxy

we're doin:

seamus heaney poems (which i think is such a bore and we shouldnt have started RTFG reading them....they confused me)

the castle

the shipping news

related material ideas???

Rahul

Dead Member
i did fight club for my assignment, apart from being the greatest films ever made, it fits in very nicely into RFTG

camden

Hey, Im new and just discovered this site. I have been reading your postings and I thought I would just add a thought that I have been working on. (Just to throw you into the same state of confusionthat I am in)
If a retreat is the going back to the values of the local. Maybe some of the composers retreat back into the past to find values, in the face of POSTMODERNISM as it suggests that there are no values. Hence the texts would be post-colonial.
Heaney, Mc Leod both find a direction through their retreat. Heanay finds an identity for himslef and Ireland. Just a thought to consider.

Rahul

Dead Member
yep, similarly, for keri hulme in the bone people, he euro-maori mix comes out in the character of kerewin holmes.....she couldnt have been more obvious.

Hence the texts would be post-colonial.
care to explain? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)