Review of grade (1 Viewer)

dude01

HSC
So it says I failed a subject this sem - one that I was expecting a credit in at least. Has anyone had experience with lodging a review of grade form? Do I need to know the reason why I failed before submitting the form? I'm guessing I do so I can argue my case against that reason, however the unit coordinator refuses to tell me why i failled...

Can anyone with first hand experience help out?

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
dude01 said:
So it says I failed a subject this sem - one that I was expecting a credit in at least. Has anyone had experience with lodging a review of grade form? Do I need to know the reason why I failed before submitting the form? I'm guessing I do so I can argue my case against that reason, however the unit coordinator refuses to tell me why i failled...

isint it your right to be told why you failed, so you can improve or if there is no need :) to dispute the matter

Maybe you should speak to someone else

L

LaraB

dude01 said:

Go see your course advisor for advice and do it soon because there's a 10 day limit on appealing marks as of the date of the release of marks.

Explain your situation and they'll let you know if there' anything you can do/

If that's no help or if you're unhappy with what they tell you, go see the UWSSA people - that's part of their job - dealing with review of grade stuff and the like.

hope it all goes ok.

dude01

HSC
Ive spoken to the unit coordinator and the course advisor for the business side of my degree. Both have been unhelpful and unabe to tell me why I failed... and now they won't even reply to my emails! lol It's also impossible to get a hold of them on the phone or in person (I've tried numerous times).

Maybe I should contact the combined law course advisor? He seems to be more helpful, except the unit that I failed isn't a law subject so i dunno what he could do...

And yes I know about the 10 day thing..that's why I'm starting to panic now to get all the forms in...

Jonathan A

HSC
I have experience with appeals (with success).

If you appeal anything - be as nice as possible - you are only seeking that the result be changed not attack the lecturer's style or tuition.

First thing you need to do is contact the coordinator and organise to go through the assessment in question (e.g. an exam paper). It seems you have done this.

After this check the UWS Assessment Policy. YOU CANNOT APPEAL ANYTHING. You must have a ground to do so. Generally a common ground is that the marker may have been too strict on assessing work.

After this, lodge your paperwork. Attach written reasons. Don't simply submit the form - very unprofessional and likely to be rejected.

If you have a failure then you don't have to pay the fee (of $50).

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Jonathan A said:
I have experience with appeals (with success).

If you appeal anything - be as nice as possible - you are only seeking that the result be changed not attack the lecturer's style or tuition.

First thing you need to do is contact the coordinator and organise to go through the assessment in question (e.g. an exam paper). It seems you have done this.

After this check the UWS Assessment Policy. YOU CANNOT APPEAL ANYTHING. You must have a ground to do so. Generally a common ground is that the marker may have been too strict on assessing work.

After this, lodge your paperwork. Attach written reasons. Don't simply submit the form - very unprofessional and likely to be rejected.

If you have a failure then you don't have to pay the fee (of $50).
i have the same problem..

ive got the form done..but what should i also include:
it says to include marks?
and what do i write in the paper with the written reasons?got any examples?

Jonathan A

HSC
I wrote mine in the form of a letter. Be formal with the letter and stick to facts and policy.

Explain what the concern is that you have - for example it could be that a fundamental procedure was not undertaken and that you were effected from it. It's hard to provide any specific guide without fully understanding your problem.

Note if a unit coordinator does not respond, submit the paperwork anyway. Just make a note that you were unable to contact them.

dude01

HSC
Can you appeal multiple things? Because I think my failure is due to a clerical error, however what if the real reason is I failed the final exam (must pass final exam to pass the unit) or due to my attendence (Im pretty sure im safe here, but who knows) and since no one will tell me why I failed I have no idea...

I'd hate to appeal based only on clerical error, then find out I failed the final exam or failed to attend the minimum amount of classes, thus getting rejected.

For students appealing based on clerical error - I'm guessing all we need to include is our marks and a short letter?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
can i do any sucking up, saying like, i studied really hard and worked hard and that i couldnt see me failin, or some bullshit like that...lol

what else could u include in the letter?

dude01

HSC
Thanks to everyone for the advice (particularly Jonathan A) my review has been successful! Tips for anyone making a review: be very nice in the letter and explain the situation thoroughly. Also, try everything you can to find out why you failed.

Thankfully mine was just a clerical error (they forgot to add one of my assignments to the total mark) :/ Pretty ridiculous to happen in uni I think... can't believe u have to go through the review process for clerical errors, they should just be able to double check your marks and see if it adds up.

Ava8

HSC
Hi all,

I've failed one of my units as well and was wondering what specific things I should/shouldn't do in order to get a review of grade. I only failed because I didn't meet a threshold requirement for the final assessment and was only 6 marks off, however i feel like I have been marked harshly as I attended all classes and contributed to class discussions and was already sitting on a 69% mark before the final assessment.

Basically, I know I didn't flunk it that bad because I have spoken to my colleagues and our responses were similar.

Any tips?

THANK YOU :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)