Review the last book you read (2 Viewers)

J

jhakka

I've been wanting to start a thread like this for a while, but have not had the chance. I think the title speaks for itself, though.

What is the last book you read, and what did you think of it? Your review can be as brief or as detailed as you wish it to be. It can be formal or casual. It's your review. It's your book. It's your call.

Please be aware that other users may not have read the books you have been reviewing, so make use of the spoiler tags when posting major plot points. I don't want a story to be ruined because someone was inconsiderate enough to post the ending without proper warning.

Happy reading!
Justin

Note: I would post my review of Stephen King's The Dark Tower now, but having just finished it, I am a bit emotional about events leading up to the ending. Will post it some time ish, though.

Sofstar

HSC
Fahrenheit 451 by......i've forgotten.

Montag is a usual firemen who lights fires to burn books. Books are crap. Books are disgraceful and cause un-eveness in this society. So they must be burnt.

But what if the knowledge gained from these books was important? What if they made a person who they were? What if books made sense of everything in the world that doesn't make sense?

I found this book really interesting and it was a good read even though it was for school.

everynametaken?

HSC
the last books i read were the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series, and damn funny they were, id honestly recomend them to everyone and everyone

i should have read brave new world and king lear for english, but i havent, both of the topics sare over now, gotta read em before the trials, kinda dissapointed with myself, i used to be a gun reader, raymond e. fiest books in two or so weeks in year 7, how times have changed

HSC
N/A
Darkwitch Rising by Sara Douglass, book 3 of The Troy Game

Whilst more character-development centric than the previous two books in the quartet (which pay great respect to historical/cultural influences on the characters), this is nonetheless an EXCELLENT book and I actually think I like it the best of the quartet so far (although that's a tough call). It's written by my FAVOURITE fantasy writer, Sara Douglass, who has a beautiful style of writing and always tells a great story. Darkwitch Rising maintains a great sense of intensity whilst at the same time, not being too heavy to read - it shouldn't be overly daunting to occasional readers, but it's still great if you sit down and read it all through within several hours like me (the quintessential "I will die unless I discover how this all works out!" reader)

There are a few big quirks in this book that do a lot to shift your perceptions of the 'grand plot' and you might find yourself more attached to certain characters, which isn't a bad thing. In any case, I am very much looking forward to the last book in the quartet!

nwatts

HSC
cool idea.

Metamorphosis - franz kafka

short little novella from kafka, probably his most well known work. basically as an exercise in allegory/interpretation, Metamorphosis maps the plight of gregor who awakes one morning to find himself transformed into a man-sized bug. what continues is his family coming to terms with their son/brother, as he comes to terms with who he is. very bleak and absurd, written in a very precise and lucid tone. i enjoyed it and recommend it to those who enjoy reading and interpreting texts as to their social/political/literary/etc. commentary, as this probably won't appeal to those looking for a quick story with flashy characters and energy.

J

jhakka

The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower Volume VII) by Stephen King

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Since this first line of The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower Volume I) I was hooked. Not that this is a particularly difficult thing for King to do for me. Being one who reads purely for entertainment and enjoyment, King's style is one that greatly appeals to me. Almost from minute one I feel that have known the characters forever and I am looking into another chapter of their lives.

But this is beside the point. From line one of this mammoth story, I was hooked. From the cold, distant narration of The Gunslinger to the emotionally charged backstory that dominates Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower Volume IV), the story of Roland Deschain of Gilead, the last gunslinger, had me rapt. I was hooked. And there was nothing that could capture my attention for any period of time... until the end of The Dark Tower.

An epic fantasy/western/science fiction/metafictional (and doesn't King hate this last phrase) series that covers Roland's quest through In World, Mid World and End World to the Dark Tower - the centre of all existence in all possible universes -, the series finally reaches its finale in Volue VII, where some stories end and other just begin.

The book takes a slight step back to the beginning, at times mimicking the cold and distant style of The Gunslinger, while at other times sticking closely to the style that King developed for the series over the last thirty or so years. Although one might be inclined to see this change in narration througout the novel as poor writing, I feel that King manages it perfectly and eventually reminds us that even though Roland has come far since we first joined him, we are essentially still in the same world to the one in which we joined him.

The story becomes distant and cold. Characters are introduced and disposed of with apparent ease. Revelations are made, and beliefs are challenged. And to what purpose? To show that all journeys have their high and low points. To show that nothing ever remains constant. To show that this is the reality of life, and things change eventually before they end.

Does this book do justice to the series? Is the ending worthwhile? Each of these are a matter of opinion, and to be honest it took me some time to reflect on before I felt that the way the story of Roland and his ka-tet, and their quest for the Tower, was concluded was the best and only one.

It was not what I wanted to see happen.
I wanted Roland Deschain to be reunited with his first love, Susan Delgado, to live happily ever after.
But alas, it was not to be. The reality was far more
unfair
on Roland, and yet it was the most perfect ending for the series.

This is a book to tackle ONLY IF you are familiar with the story until this point. If you are not, then stay away, for you will not only be doing Stephen King a disservice by not buying his books, but you will be doing yourself no favour... and you will not understand the significance of Roland's fate.

Hile Roland! Hile gunslinger!

Much <3 for The Dark Tower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skeeta

HSC
The human brain, an introduction to its functional anatomy (5th edition)

John Nolte

yes well this isnt so much a book as a textbook. Currently i am on page 4 of 615. I am not particularly enjoying this book so far, as it doesnt seem to have a plot.

It does have some very good pictures of brains, which will help me alot.
I'm not following this book in chronological order. I have already had a sneak peak on the chapter about the Basal Ganglia and it looks exciting

if anyone has read this book - could they puhlease like tell me what its about and summarise it for me, possibly adhering to my course outline if possible

:)

Kabeio

k.
HSC
A Civil Campaign - Louis McMaster Bujold.

Was good had effective characterisation.

rific

HSC
nwatts said:
cool idea.

i enjoyed it and recommend it to those who enjoy reading and interpreting texts as to their social/political/literary/etc. commentary, as this probably won't appeal to those looking for a quick story with flashy characters and energy.
Also try A Madman's Diary (also sometimes called Diary of a Madman) - by... Lu Xun? And Twenty-six Men and Girl by Maxim Gorky. Both, also, short and great for a personal reading of what is presented. It's been a while since I've read them, so I won't say what they're about, but both I highly recommend.

Skeeta

HSC
wow and i would have thought that was a childrens book?

its true what they say - never judge a book by its cover :eek:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
Happy Dog Sad Dog by Sam Lloyd

A bit too in-depth for my liking, I struggled to get through it. However, conveys a fairly deep and poignant message that will resonate with society for decades to come.

lol, do u Ever do serious posts brogan?

erm.. Red Mars, by someoneorother

i thought it was quite smashing really.. i dont read much scifi, but it was v good, if u can stand very scientific explainations, but i dnt think it get sin the way of the story.. its pretty epic: (think half of Dune)

about a new colony on mars.. and the scientific, political, social ramifications ...
more ppl come, transnationals seek to exploit.. etc etc..

yeh.. i liked it , but now i dont have the second one (incidently named green mars)

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
Happy Dog Sad Dog by Sam Lloyd

A bit too in-depth for my liking, I struggled to get through it. However, conveys a fairly deep and poignant message that will resonate with society for decades to come.

Synopsis
Hot dog, hairy dog, wet dog - find out the opposites of these and more in this board book of doggy opposites.

ooh find out more of the opposites inside!

this is a blantant perpetuation of the 'other' concept in our society, that employs the use of techniques such as binary opposites in a campaign to alienate and create fear surrounding certain factions of our society, as a means of control by those bourgious fat cats (no pun intended)in power.

next week, a look at: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Eric Carle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0241003008/ref=pd_sim_b_dp_1/203-9726689-4982360

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
nwatts said:
cool idea.

short little novella from kafka, probably his most well known work. basically as an exercise in allegory/interpretation, Metamorphosis maps the plight of gregor who awakes one morning to find himself transformed into a man-sized bug. what continues is his family coming to terms with their son/brother, as he comes to terms with who he is. very bleak and absurd, written in a very precise and lucid tone. i enjoyed it and recommend it to those who enjoy reading and interpreting texts as to their social/political/literary/etc. commentary, as this probably won't appeal to those looking for a quick story with flashy characters and energy.
I didnt find it bleak. Kafka's biting mix of alienation and isolation is his biggest weapon, but Id argue that there's a happy ending in there somewhere.
Great little expressionist work - the symbolic (feeling like an insect) becomes reality, forcing him to come to terms with himself and his life.

Just to run threw a few of the themes which stood out:
Biographical - Jewish, father issues etc
Political - industrial revolution (new capitalism) dehumanising/alienating/isolating individuals and destroying families
Religious - father as the Jehovah - banished from Eden etc (scene with the apple)
Throws in a bit of Freud - incest/castration complex, all that - for shits and giggles

It's only 40pages or something. Easy read
I loved it Margaret. Four stars from me.

J

jhakka

Dragons of Autumn Twighlight (Dragonlance Chronicles: Volume I) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I haven't read this book in a few years, and because I have read a hell of a lot of books in between there are only a couple of episodes that I really remembered. All of Book One of this volume, for instance. I remembered all that. But nothing after it, really. So really, it was like reading a book for the first time... again.

The one thing I like about Weis and Hickman is that they do trashy fantasy so well. I suppose they're not really that trashy for their time, but they certainly are by today's standards. Very much based around the plot with the typical fantasy formula. A group of mismatched characters - the half-elf, the kender, the dwarf, the knight, the warrior and the mage - end up being thrown head first into an adventure they never asked for.

As far as story goes, this one is for pure entertainment. I really enjoy reading Weis and Hickman, so I don't mind the relatively simple characters and plot. In fact, it's quite a relief. And it's a bit of fun. Can't complain.

On second thoughts, some of the characters aren't so simple. Raistlin the mage, for example, wears the red robes of neutrality. As a result, the reader is constantly wondering what side he is truly on, what his motives are, and what his fate will eventually be. Even though, deep down, we all know what will happen to him.

A classic of quest fantasy, methinks. If you want to start on fantasy and want something relatively light, this is the way to go.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I agree with Justin - Raistlin's complexity is a definite hook throughout the series and it enriches the book. I think a part of what makes Raistlin so enjoyable is the family drama he carries around with him.

I also enjoyed the Kitiara sub-plot that ran through the book and thought it was a nice parallel to that of Raistlin's.

In retrospect however, I do believe Goldmoon would have worked far better as a character if Weiss/Hickman had fleshed her out a little more and not played the barbarian angle the way they did with her and her guy(forgot his name).

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
PRINCE CASPIAN - C.S Lewis

Prince Caspian is the third book in Lewis' much loved and lauded series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Whilst waiting at a (mostly) deserted train junction, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are summoned by magic. Finding themselves once again in the enchanted kingdom of Narnia, they seek to recover lost time. While only a year has passed on earth since their adventures in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, hundreds - perhaps thousands of years have passed in Narnia. At the once great castle of Cair Paravel, now consumed by the earth, they save the Red Dwarf Trumpkin from his two human assailants and the river. He tells them the story of the young Prince Caspian of the Telmarines - a race of men who invaded Narnia and subdued it. He tells of the cruelty of Caspian's uncle, Miraz and of the violence of the Telmarines. He tells the story of young Caspian, who, having heard tabboo tales of Old Narnia from his nurse and his tutor; tales of a golden lion, of dryads, and of trees that speak (feared in Telmarine folklore as ghosts of the forest), was both inspired and regretful . Fleeing the treachery of his uncle, whose wife finally bore a son, Caspian finds old Narnia living yet at Aslan's How (the ancient stone table). He is accepted by the ancient denizens as the rightful King of Narnia, and conflict ensues between the forces of Old Narnia and the Telmarines of Miraz...(I won't spoil the rest, :p).

This book is so much fun. Lewis is incredibly readable - his characters are relatable, his images are fresh and his style (which begins simply, but artfully, with a recount of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe), makes it not only a wonderful kids story but a beautiful parable. The struggles of Lewis' young characters broadly symbolise the pains of growing up and the processes of learning to live in society - learning the importance of honesty, patience, courage, respect for others and self-respect. Aslan - an embodiment of all these principles - is a spiritually powerful image. To some, he is an allusion to Christ, to others not keen on Christian imagery, he is an archetype in his own right.

Yet whilst I greatly appreciate Lewis' images and narrative, I have my objections. Many of his themes demonstrate both cultural imperialism and hierachical patriarchal morality (perhaps I've said the same thing twice). If we were to think of his narrative in a purely literal sense, then it begs the questions - why should the Narnians only accept a leader that is either a 'Son of Adam' or a 'Daughter of Eve'? Why must Peter be the eldest and wield more authority than Susan? Why is it that there is no strong, positive maternal figure? Despite possible non-literal and esoteric interpretations of the characters, I find these aspects of his story hard to swallow. As Le Guin says - Lewis is often full of resentment for anyone who disagrees.

But this shouldn't dissuade potential readers! If you are able to put these objections aside, then Lewis writes highly enjoyable stories. Stories, which - for those who look, do possess great beauty.

Last edited:
HSC
Pilgrim by Sara Douglass

Second book in the Wayfarer Redemption.

This a great book, wrapping up a lot of storylines and mysteries from the first book (Sinner) whilst still leaving a lot to be accomplished in the finale.
Drago Sunsoar regains his power, and the love of his elder brother Caelum in a very well written book that was full of shocks and twists. Caelum, who I really disliked in 'Sinner' is written much more sympathetically and by the end of the book comes into his real inheritance in a very sad, but still very moving scene.

Sara Douglass's world is so complete and detailed you'll be surprised at her ability to completely alter your perceptions of favourite characters. Axis, Azhure and Isfrael all come in for a bit of character-bashing whilst WolfStar gets his come-uppance for all his evil deeds and Faraday starts to believe that she can be happy with someone apart from Axis.

Only Sara Douglass could write a story featuring not one but two incestual relationships and do it in such a way that it almost seems natural.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien

The Simlarillion is comprised of five independent stories set in the history/pre-history of Tolkien's Middle Earth which technically function as a prequel to The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings.

The first story, Ainulindalë is the creation myth of Tolkien's imaginary world and 'introduces' many of the main themes that are present throughout Tolkien's work in this world. As a myth it is well thought out, as it borrows heavily from Christain, Greek and Norse myths and as such resonates heavily with what we associate to be religious/mythological - it literally feels like you are reading a religious text. However, while it may suceed as a creation parable, I feel it fails as a story in that it bars the reader from any conclusive interaction with the narrative due to the removed narrator and the lack of intermediaries. In this way, I personally felt prevented from engaging as it was mythology instead of epic fantasy. I also saw the extremely 'heavy' language as something of an impediment to casual enjoyment.

In the second story, the Valaquenta, we are introduced to the basic natures and dispositions of the Vala. I cannot in truth state that this is a story either, as it seems more like a set of character bios given some flow. Therefore, in all honesty I do not believe this part can be reviewed unless one wishes to analyse Tolkien's linguistic technique.

The third story, Quenta Silmarillion, is the meat of this hotdog. Here we are introduced to a series of hero stories which include Luthien and Beren, the tragic Turin Turumbar, the fall of Gondolin and others. This IMO, proves to be both its weakness and its strength, for while we are introduced to many facets of Tokien's world, the introduction of so many different angles weakens the consistency of his narrative. For example, Glaurangs manipulations of Turin relate little(or even not at all) to the tale of the Valar & co vs. Morgoth, which is IMO a poor thing for a subplot to have.

As far as Akallabêth goes, I can barely recall it so I might have to skip that.

The final 'tale' is Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, which when all is said and done is more an essay setting up the scene for LOTR. It reminds me, in some ways of the exercises we do in writing class to prepare our worlds and as such I don't believe this can be properly reviewed (at least in the context that I approach it from).

So to sum up, as an exploration of Middle Earth's background the Silmarillion is quite good for it definitely enriches the back story of LOTR. However as a story, I personally feel it fails, for just like those 'Guide to Middle-Earth' type books, you really shouldn't be buying them unless you have read the other books first and have an intense interest in enriching LOTR. I also feel that it fails as a prequel, for it requires too much indepth knowledge from later books to enjoy it. However if you have read the other books and are a fan then you should really really enjoy this.

Verdict:
4/10

HSC
Quiet thread.

I mean, Julian May’s “The Many Coloured Land”.

I’m a fan of series and this is a good one.
A mix of sci-fi and fantasy this book talks about a group of 22nd century misfits who pass through a one-way door to the Pliocene Era and discover that 6million years ago Earth was home to an exotic, dimorphic race at war with each other. The Tanu, tall, practically immortal, and beautiful, practice traditional, ritual warfare with their dimorphic counterparts the Firvulag, who have limited illusionary powers.
However, this exotic race is dying out from overexposure to earth radiation which is much higher than their home world and so the Tanu take human women and use them as broodmares.

Sounds a bit convoluted, but a really good story.

J

jhakka

Test of the Twins (Dragonlance Legends: Volume III) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

This book provides a conclusion to a trilogy that I can only descrive as "teh secks", not only as a trilogy in its own right, but also as a continuation from the Dragonlance Chronicles. What was left open in Dragons of Spring Dawning, particularly with Raistlin's change from the Red Robes of neutrality to the Black Robes of evil, what deal took place, who the voice that occasionally spoke to him was, and what took place between Raistlin's last appearance as a Red Robe and his first as a Black. Also, the subplot of Kitiara and Lord Soth, the Death Knight is given a bit more time, which is nice.

The Dragonlance Legends trilogy is a bit less linear than the Chronicles, but it's still an easy read that still, at times, provides a sense of fun through the use of characters like Tasslehoff and Fizban. Although it is a serious story, it is not fantasy that takes itself too seriously, and I think this is the formula for best fitting into a genre.

This book provides the best and worst aspects of characters like Raistlin Majere, while providing some kind of normality for characters like his twin, Caramon, who have been a bit up and down throughout the trilogy. The book provides a sense of finality for characters who have always been strange to the readers, while also providing appearances by well loved characters (TANIS!) from the Chronicles. Although this is slightly unecessary, the circumstances provide a nice backdrop for the main conflict in the story.

Riastlin, although he has now taken the Black Robes, is still the most interesting character in the series, even though we know where his loyalties lie and what his ambitions are. We are allowed into his mind a little more, and although his evil is occasionally unforgivable, there is something about him that we can't help but love. The glimpses of his past and of his childhood provide nice chunks of backstory, and also explain why the Master of Past and Present is as he is.

All in all, this story compliments characters like Raistlin and his apprentice Dalamar, and provides a great conclusion to an amazing trilogy.

I highly reccomend the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)