Review the last book you read (1 Viewer)

Rinni

HSC
Just finished On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (again)
I love this book, there are similatiries between this book and her other books (Looking for Alabrandi and Saving Francessca) but V V V different all at once. It doesn't lay the story out for you like LFA anf SF, I makes you think more.

J

jhakka

Waf: Based on what you wrote in your reviews, I have the feeling you won't enjoy Hannibal as much as the other two since its a bit less crime-ish and a bit more romancey. It's a good read, and I really enjoyed it. Probably won't appeal to you as much, since you seem to be more interested in the catching of the criminal through mind games, etc.

I'd say it's a different genre to the other two, just as I'd say Hannibal Rising falls under a different genre (based on the film - I haven't read the book yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jhakka

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

One of those must-reads that up until this point I hadn't read. I think that if I tried to tackle it when I was younger, though, I would have had problems because as far as books go, I actually found this one a bit difficult compared to what I usually read.

Having said that, though, the book is hilarious, mainly because all the irrationalities displayed hit so close to the target that it's almost scary. A large proportion of what is discussed in the book is still relevant today, decades after its release. The same power structures exist, the same sense of incompetence and intimidation associated with authority, the same half-arsed attempts of anyone who has been given orders to get them done and get out of there ASAP, or the more elaborate attempts to avoid doing them in the first place. It is described as outlining the irrationalities of the 20th Century, but I don't see this book becoming less relevant to society any time soon.

The plot is difficult to follow, mainly because it's not meant to be about the plot. It's about all the stuff I just mentioned, and how different people in different situations deal with them. There are those who crack under pressure, those who want to climb higher than everyone else, those who want to take advantage of all the shmucks out there, and those who want to complain about it all and not take any responsiblity whatsoever. The novel jumps between incidents at various times in the war, which often left me feeling a bit lost, however since it is based on human experience, the actual timeline is really irrelevant, except for the events in the last few chapters.

The book provides a fatalistic view of society and of the war experience, while still maintaining a strong humourous element and even an optimistic tone that seems at odds with the events mentioned. But that degree of optimism is there, providing a sense of hope for the characters and, more importantly, for the reader, who should be reminded that no matter how bad the situation is, it is most important to always search for the solutions rather than accept defeat.

Definitely a must read. Go for it.

J

jhakka

The Devoured Earth by Sean Williams

This is a difficult book to review by itself, since it's the final in Sean Williams' four Books of the Cataclysm. So I'll do a bit of a general review of the series first before talking about this book in particular.

Overall, I would have to say that the Books of the Cataclysm is one of the best fantasy series I have read in a long time. It has been ages since any book or series has had me so hooked that I would read 200+ pages every day just because I wanted to see what happens next.

The first book (The Crooked Letter) started with a very unexpected setting - late 20th/early 21st Century Europe - and did some really cool stuff with metaphysics, displayed a hell of a lot of research into religions from all around the world, and was generally pretty awesome. The story was quite dark, mainly due to the whole end of the world thing, and the characters were real. This goes for all the books in the series, not just the first. The characters weren't too detailed and they didn't get tedious. Enough was said about each character to satisfy the reader, and the story continued. With a temporary resolution at the end of the first book, a rearranged world is then created over the next thousand years, and with it a new set of characters.

Throughout the second and third books (The Blood Debt and The Hanging Mountains) a new story begins that ties in with the Cataclysm that began in the first book. Characters from Williams' previous trilogy (Books of the Change) are the new protagonists, bringing previously established relationships and personalities into the story. The beauty of Williams' writing is that there was no need to read the previous books (which is great, because I'm still waiting for Dymocks to ship the first two) in order to read this series. Enough is said about previous incidents and relationships to give the reader a solid idea of what's what without having to go back. In fact, it's just like any other book where the characters are developed enough that the author actually bothers to give them a past. Williams leaves the Books of the Change as anything but a necessity for this series, and I will personally be reading them because I love his writing and his characters, and I will be doing so as though I'm reading a prequel rather than the original series.

The Devoured Earth was a brilliant conclusion to the Books of the Cataclysm. Not only did it tie up a hell of a lot of loose ends left in The Crooked Letter (which is awesome considering that this one is set one thousand years after that), but it still kept me guessing what would happen next. While the ending was one that I suspected from about two thirds of the way through the book, the fact that I couldn't see how it was going to be pulled off until the very last minute is a pretty good indicator of a great storyteller.

The writing through is consistently excellent, excluding a couple of errors with place names and character names. It is reasonably fast paced, it appeals to the 21st Century audience with its use of language and relatable characters. It's also a step away from traditional fantasy and its associated English/Irish/etc influences. What has been created instead is an completely new world with its own landscapes (deserts, forests, mountains, etc, etc), new social structures and realistic dialogue. Williams completely disregards the highly formal language not only in narration, but also in the dialogue, making all aspects of the book easy to read and more relatable to the reader. My favourite quote in this book was when Seth said "Ellis, what the fuck have you done to us?" This isn't necessarily because of the swearing, though my inner twelve year old had a bit of a chuckle over it, but rather because it's appropriate to the characters and the situation.

In addition to well written characters, there are also some pretty awesome ones that pop up in this book and throughout the rest of the series. The Holy Immortals, whose timeline takes them backwards through time (so our future is their past), Pukje the imp/dragon, and the ultimate evil monster, Yod. Each of these (and a hell of a lot of others not mentioned here) have their own historical/philosophical/spiritual significance, and add to the overall impact of the book.

Everything is wrapped up neatly in this final book, and the only reason I was disappointed when I finished it was the fact that it was over. It is one of those ones that left me wanting to know what happens next, even when I knew that it was all over. Give these ones a go if you like sci-fi/fantasy. It's brilliant stuff.

HSC
wow Jhakka, you read ALOT!

As for me, VCE kinda takes a lot of time out of my reading time!
So naturally the last book i read was for english.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Basically covers the life story of Amir, a boy who grows up in Afghanistan in the 1970's, in Wazir Akbar Khan district near Kabul. His best friend is Hassan, the son of his fathers servent, but because of their class difference, they know, even as young children, that their paths may not run together.
However, for the time being they are the best of friends and they fly kites together in the competitions and tounaments that are run in their district. But one tournament in 1975 brings about events they could never imagine, and following that, the russians invade, forcing Amir and his family to flee to America, while Hassan and his father stay in Afghanistan.

The author (who narrates the story in the first person) then tells of Amir's life in America, and of his final decision to return to his homeland to set things straight.

That sounds a bit corny, but thats the basic storyline.

It is an absolutly beautiful story and i recommend it to you all. It isn't long at 340 pages, but the content is unbelievable. The author is Afghani, so the insight into life there is intruiging and the story is both gut-whrenchinly (how do you spell that??) sad and hearteningly inspirational.
I am not someone who likes realistic stories, i am into Lord of the Rings, The Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchet and stuff by Robyn Hobb etc. mostly, but this book is amazing!!

100 stars, seriously!

HSC
Also, if you want to tackle some french reading, Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a great little story.
It is isn't long, and it is availiable in english, but the style of writing works a lot better in french.
Its about Saint-Exupery (written in first person) and his experiences when his aeroplane breaks down in the middle of the Sahara dessert with a little prince who comes from another planet.
It's completely fictional, but oh so cute! and funny too!

Elastoplant

HSC
I recently finished reading "Area 7" by Matthew Reilly, and having read every other Matthew Reilly book I really recommend this one.

It would probably help to read the books "Contest" and "Ice Station" first.
Oh and Matthew Rieilly is Australian so horay for us.
In conclusion if you liked the other Matthew Reilly books then this is a must have.

I just realised that I've revealed nothing about the story...... Meh I can't be bothered I need some sleep. Im so tired, I swear the pot plant is watching me....(hits "submit reply" and walks off to sleep on the floor as the bed is to far away).

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Once it gets to the Fifth Attack, Area 7's awesomness stops and the mediocrity begins.

xdemi101

HSC
harry potter 5
many things i can say about it

i dont like how the characters are so clique and stereotypical. has anyone else noticed.
draco = evil totally. no layers

and harry's charcter.. biggest show off out.

and me and my sis want to know why such a rich wizard like harry cannot afford some decent glasses, or get lazer eye surgery, or conjure a spell to fix it.

im a wearer of glasses so im not discriminating. but still.

The Curious incident of the dog in the night time. is a book im currently reading for english. anyone else read it? and did u like it?

sofimac16

HSC
Ice Station: Mathew Rielly

Shane Schofeild is in charge of a Marine unit sent to an Antartic icestation after something from another world is thought to be discovered. His orders are simple, get to the station and hold it until back up arrives and do what ever it takes to keep it under US control. What follows is a game of life and death that could go in many countries favour.

This is the first in the Shane Schofeild series by Matthew Reilly. The first book that he got published, Ice Station is filled with action, gun fire and suspence that made me not able to put the book down because I wanted to know what happened next. The book itself is not set in the traditional way (more in sections then in chapters) but it a great read for those die hard action fans who aqre more interested in watching a movie then reading a book. The book is fast paced and has you hanging on the edge of your seat right through it!

sofimac16

HSC
Area 7 - Matthew Reilly

After the events in Antartica, Shane Schofeild has been reassigned one of the presidents helicopters. Things had finally gotten back to normal and while accompanying the president on inspections of secret bases hidden in the desert, as plan is unveiled that has been a long while in the making. It is now up to Schofeild, the survivors of the Antartic episode and new friends to save the president and a little boy named kevin.

This isthe second book in the Shane Schofeild series. Like the first in the series, Area 7 is sdsaction packed and fast paced and has you wondering what Schofeild will think up next and whether he will escape from the area with the president and his friends alive or whether the worst will happen.

Contest - Matthew Reilly

Swain believed that after the death of his wife and an incident at the hospital that he was going to have a normal life. Unfortunately his hopes didn't go according to plan. He is dragged into a contest where there is only one winner and the losers lose their lives and even the winner might not be seen as worthy and might not get out of the maze alive. With only his guide and his daughter with him, and a police officer who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, Swain must make it out of the maze alive while trying not to get his conpainions killed or have himself get out of the energy feild.

This is the first book that Matthew Reilly wrote and was also self published. This book is action packed like all of his other books and brings in all the sci-fi goodness that some people just love.

chochang

*Arashi*
HSC
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald

One of the best books I have read over the past few months. I loved the detailed descriptions Fitzgerald uses in each and every paragraph.

Beautifully written

10 stars :wave:

HSC
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier

Excellent read. I have read it before, but got so much more out of it this time i think. Maybe because i am older...
Anyhow, if you don't know, its the story of a girl from a tilers family in 1600's Holland. Her father goes blind after a kiln explosion and looses his vision so he can't make tiles any longer. They are tight with money, so they send Griet, their eldest daughter and the first person narrator of the novel, to be a maid in the dutch painter Johannes Vermeer's home. All this is covered in the first 5 pages or so, and from then on it describes her relationships with her master, his wife, his mother in law, their many children and their other servant, and her changing relationship with her siblings and parents and the people she meets on a day to day basis running errands for her mistress and master.
Pretty much it is focused on her relationship with him, in relation to the workings of his household, and i can't really say much more without a spoiler...

Basically, she loves him, and at points it appears as though he also feels for her, but at others, not so much. He clearly has quite an interest in her though, despite their age difference. He is a painter and only she and a few others are allowed in his studio, where his wife isn't. Creates quite a hate/hate relationship between Griet and Catharina (the wife). Eventually Griet is moved to sleep in the room attic above his studio, and he has her secretly help him mix paints etc. Then, at the request of his paedophilic patron, he paints her, and makes her wear his wifes earrings in the painting, all without his wife knowing. When she finds out, Griet leaves, without ever admitting to him her love, or him to her.

There is so much more in the story than the outline, and because it is written in the first person, we get insight into her feelings that make it a really passionate, fullfilling kind of read.
Excellent. Seriously. It only takes a day to read. Do it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)