• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rewards for topping a subject (1 Viewer)

worriedman

HSC
This is a serious question to you all

Although my profile may suggest otherwise, i am to sit the HSC exam next year

my english (advanced) is not so good. Band 5 when im lucky.

I am also an international student, meaning many of the scholarships are not allegible for me to apply.

Due to the financial difficulties i experience, I NEED to get a 99.95 + UAI for a scholarship called 'University of Sydney Outstanding achievement scholarship' to go to sydney university.

Now, I've tried many UAI estimation, and it is impossible unless I get at LEAST a band 6 (90) for me to get a 99.95 UAI.

My subjects are, 3/4 unit maths, physics, chemistry, advanced english.

My question is, are there any scholarships given to those who top the state for a subject? (eg 1st in extension II mathematics in the state)
Or an offer from Sydney university to a student who comes first in subjects for a course for free?(or cheaper price)

Yes, I will try REALLY REALLY hard to improve my english. I will also be grateful if you post up some tips for english advanced.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
worriedman said:

I am also an international student, meaning many of the scholarships are not allegible for me to apply.

Due to the financial difficulties i experience, I NEED to get a 99.95 + UAI for a scholarship called 'University of Sydney Outstanding achievement scholarship' to go to sydney university.

Now, I've tried many UAI estimation, and it is impossible unless I get at LEAST a band 6 (90) for me to get a 99.95 UAI.

My question is, are there any scholarships given to those who top the state for a subject? (eg 1st in extension II mathematics in the state)
Or an offer from Sydney university to a student who comes first in subjects for a course for free?(or cheaper price)

Yes, I will try REALLY REALLY hard to improve my english. I will also be grateful if you post up some tips for english advanced.
There aren't really much of an independent reward for those who top the state for a subject. HOWEVER, topping a subject in the state will definitely give you that extra edge for scholarship, especially an academic-related one.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Oh is that all?

I thought you'd get something more than some recognition for topping a subject like some form of scholarship or prize money.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
the right to be arrogant is the best reward

but it sucks so much when you lose that right ....... FUCK

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
annabackwards said:
Oh is that all?

I thought you'd get something more than some recognition for topping a subject like some form of scholarship or prize money.
Well, no. Obviously not. It is sometimes more difficult to top one particular subject over the other (excuse my generalisation but it's true).

I would sincerely consider that coming top 20 in MX2 is considerably harder than getting top in, say, Senior Science.

It's really an unequal distribution of academic scholarships if they were to give scholarships purely based on first ranks in a subject.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
im sure someone would giev you a handshake, im sure thats a reward to aspire to get

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
lyounamu said:
Im sure the main reason namu wants to get a state ranking in maths isnt for the glory, the chicks, the media and increased rep on the streets; no its for the a handshake from someone

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
axlenatore said:
Im sure the main reason namu wants to get a state ranking in maths isnt for the glory, the chicks, the media and increased rep on the streets; no its for the a handshake from someone
this isnt need for speed undercover...

hardly anyone knows the name of the dude/chick who topped mx2

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
AHa who was it last year? I remember it being a female but i can't remember =="

Well i'm not topping it unless some miracle happens --> i'm procrastinating right now XD

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
hungwell1337 said:
this isnt need for speed undercover...

hardly anyone knows the name of the dude/chick who topped mx2
i do

HSC
As far as I know, the most you get for topping is higher likelihood of receiving a scholarship and the likes, and perhaps a page in a high achievers booklet meant to motivate the '10ers.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
worriedman said:

even if there was, i hope ur not underestimating the difficulty of coming first, especially in a subject like ext2 mathematics

HSC
Don't you also do LatinX? And using JUAI you could get 99.95 if you get high band 6s in your other subjects and a high band 5 in English, you can get a 99.95.

dp624

HSC
Yeah, there's probably no reward really. You can go for the Merit 6k scholarship or UNSW's 99.90 Scientia.

Zephyrio

HSC
You'd feel happy, though. Satisfied with how you went. Scholarship prospects open. Having the sense of prestige and honour. There doesn't seem to be any downside to topping a subject.

There's plenty of reward for topping the state.

dp624

HSC
Zephyrio said:
You'd feel happy, though. Satisfied with how you went. Scholarship prospects open. Having the sense of prestige and honour. There doesn't seem to be any downside to topping a subject.

There's plenty of reward for topping the state.
Lol sure, it's just bloody hard.

Offtopic: would people prefer a high UAI or a state ranking?

Zephyrio

HSC
LOL yeah it's hard, it's only for the elite of the elite obviously. Not me.

Offtopic: I would prefer the higher UAI. Though, I was playing around with SAM and found out that if I scored ridiculously well (within the realm of 99) in one of my subjects (equating to pretty much a state rank), my aggregate soared, ending up obviously with a higher UAI. This is why I stopped trying for 3U maths and focused on modern history/history extension instead, knowing that the difference in aggregate contributed from 98/97 in modern was much more than a 96/95. On the contrary, a 47 in 3U would pretty much contribtue 47 points to my aggregate. And 46 would contribute 46.

I don't know. Wabboutchu, dp624?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)