RFTG Paradigms Help and Questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
original thread opener:
Komaticom said:
I can't comprehend how economic, philosophical blah blah paradigms (patterns) fit into the RFTG jigsaw.

Help.
paradigms are just ways of thinking right? I could be wrong though, "paradigms" is not one of 'my' words, but anyway...

Look at it this way. Typical Global and Local Paradigms:

LOCAL: Look at that mackeral. I wonder how many more of them there are.
GLOBAL: Look at that mackeral. I wonder how many more of them there are.
LOCAL: I can remember seeing these mackeral shoals when I was a child...
GLOBAL: Did I see some shoals earlier? I could make a profit out of this...!
LOCAL: My grandfather used to bring me down here, and we'd fish for hours...
GLOBAL: I gotta call Larry. Is he still trawler-fishing near Antarctica or something?!

LOCAL: It's a pity the numbers are dwindling, I have to preserve this somehow so my grandchildren will still have something to fish

GLOBAL: Oh man, I gotta clean these fish up before someone else gets them! LARRY!!! *Into phone* WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!?!

You can see the obvious economic and philosophical elements here - to the typicalised local, the fish are a part of history and culture, not a career. To the global, it's an opportunity to commodify and gain material wealth.

did that help? Someone correct me if the context was completely wrong.

Last edited:

kikujiro

For the economic paradigms, i'm going with the belief that they're talking about Fukoyama's stuff about globalisation acheived through economic rationalism, and in the end we'll be left with a homogenous society devoid of any spirituality....and you can see this stuff in TSN where the global is full of fast food chain stored and places like D&G Convenience etc, which lack the hominess of a local cornerstore i.e no friendly faces, no names....

As for hte philosphical stuf...i'm not too sure what you're asking about there - sorry ^.^;

HSC
N/A
Philosophy: For example, what is the meaning of life?

Local: To pass on everything i know to my grandkids and to have a good life
global: To make lots and lots of money and die rich and famous

Look at the different values. how much of these values are influenced by culture?

HSC
N/A
Previous post:
Komaticom said:
I know what philosophy is!

I'm asking what paradigms (PATTERNS) exist in the prescribed texts. What common economical etc etc patterns are evident between the texts, say, Heaney and The Shipping News.
Ok.

shipping News:

Tert Card/Globalisation: We have to make money by any means possible even if it means leaving families behind and being pains in the butt

Quoyle/Local: We have to maintain local culture, give it a voice (local newspaper).

As for Heaney: Heaney is a little bit harder to catagorise because he's a bit more of an example of cultural hybridity. He appreciates and pays homage to his Irish culture a lot - but the Celts didn't have a written language. (This is a bit like My Place, actually). He's using western/global materials.

Unlike MacLead Heaney hasn't upped up and said "our culture is dying out, ok, let's just let it go". He's.. grr, this is on a sheet I wrote but can't find... sort of re-introducing it into today's society. His poetry is contemporary but it touches on issues that have been around for decades, and centuries. There is a very subtle quality to his poems that draws the responder into the poem. almost enticing the reader to want to absorb him/herself deeper into the poem/the culture.

I'm sorry that i haven't been able to give you bulletpoint answers, but it's extremely difficult to jump right out and say "examples of paradigms in ____ are _____, _____ and _____" because it's not quite that simple. for example, i'm not even sure exactly what paradigms mean (hence the reason I rarely use it unless I know for sure it's in the right context).

Paradigms are important to RFTG because the way you think puts you on one side of the camp. In a lot of RFTG texts, there are "good" characters (local) and "bad" characters (global). All the "good" characters want to preserve the local, and all the "bad" characters want to exploit the local for material gain.

Is that sort of answering the original question?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Subsequent post:
Komaticom said:
A paradigm means a pattern. It also means a model of perfection, but that's not the definition examiners are looking for. What confuses me is, "pattern" means that similiar ideas should be evident in all the prescribed texts, yet, they're all different. I'll have to call the Advice Line. So it's probably just economical etc IDEAS.

Replace "pattern" with "notion", and it makes much more sense. I'll edit this post if the Advice Line operator says otherwise.

Last edited:

murmur

Paradigm answered (I hope)

so its clear u understand what a pardigm is- however u need to remember that u don't have to find a common paradigm in a ll the texts but rather diffferent eg's of paradigms in the texts. remember its called texts and ways of thinking so you should think about how the different prescribed + related texts relate to RFTG- some embrace the global while others retreat from it- this is their way of thinking.
You can therefore think of pardigms in terms of how they relate to the ways of thinking as expressed in the texts and thus the topic RFTG- for eg in the Castle there is an economic paradigm: the kerrigans embrace aspects of the global such as buying items from the trading post. however they also resist the global such as the Barlow group and Airlink who want to kick them out of their homes- for financial gain obviously. Therefore, the economic paradigm and hence way of thinking of Sitch in relation to the global (economy=$$=global) is that it has both Negative aspects and positive aspects.
An example of a scientific would, i think relate to advance in technolgy/ development etc. You can see a scientific paradigm in Seamus Heaney's 'Requiem for the Croppies'- he talks about the contrast in equipment used by the Irish and the English (don't remember quote from top of my head...) and English prevail as victors due to their advanced equipment against the 'primitive' equipment of the Irish.
For a religious paradigm- this isn't an easy one as the texts don't explicitly reveal this but rather implicitly. I would say that for Heaney the sectarian rivalry between irish and the english would be one....also for the Shopping News in the global world consumerism, materialism etc (think of petal) can be described as the 'modern god.' (this is a way of thinking that thus relates to reftg)
hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:

murmur

4got to add this

RESPONDING TO THIS QUESTION:
What confuses me is, "pattern" means that similiar ideas should be evident in all the prescribed texts, yet, they're all different. I'll have to call the Advice Line. So it's probably just economical etc IDEAS.

I understand what you mean- yes there maybe a pattern/ paradigm in all the texts- eg most global texts relate to economic paradigm. HOwever, its impossible to find an economic, religious, philisophical & scientific in all your related + prescribed...so when they say its a pattern this, i would presume means a pattern/paradigm evident in ONE/the same prescribed or related text- during the entire course of the text- this becomes the pattern as it is a reoccuring idea & hence a paradigm. Obviously find paradigms in ALL your texts...hope this also helps and RELAX.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Paradigm basically means "model" or "framework", examples of this are:

Economic: Marxist/Communist, Capitalist, Bartering etc. Globalisation as well which ties all of these other paradigms together

Philosophical: Existentialism, Nihilism, etc

Religious: Christianity, Local religions (applies to Bone People), Athiest

Scientific: Physics (totally broken in Bone people, shit book), Chemistry etc and what they hold

Literary: Postmodernism, Poststructualism (and all other critical theories)

Think of the term paradigm as a model or prism of looking at life and how people live etc. These are always and constantly liable to undergo change.

HSC
N/A
oh man my entire work is flipped upside down now... I thought paradigm meant ways of thinking! :(

but if you're looking for a pattern -

It's always easy to pick out the local/good and global/bad :) not always a cure-all end-all, but certainly a good place to start, if you're really stuck.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Paradigm is sort of a way of thinking, it's a framework or model for viewing the world.

I can see how pattern can be derrived from this, but look up the definition in a dictionary, paradigm = model.

HSC
N/A
oh hold on... so this is a bit like different readings - Feminist etc? no wait - the feminism/modernism are just the topics in the subcategories, the major ones of which are political/cultural/economic etc...

am I on the right track?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
oh hold on... so this is a bit like different readings - Feminist etc? no wait - the feminism/modernism are just the topics in the subcategories, the major ones of which are political/cultural/economic etc...

am I on the right track?
Yes, you can look at it like that I think. Those are paradigms i.e. models, ways in which to see the world or analyse the actions of people through. Feminism and Modernism would fall into the philosophical notions.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Ahhhh i think I get it now, thank you very much!
There can be an overlap sometimes between the paradigms, that is they might fit into more than one category.

luey

help needed!

ok so this is only kinda related to paradigms well i guess it is coz all ext is related to paradigms but does any one know where i could find some example compostion - question two responces. im really confused as to how to integrate ways of thinking into a completely imaginative piece.

Subsequent posts:
Komaticom said:
It depends on your elective.

You should have already done an assignment where you compose a short story on this module.
I got 35.5/38 hehe.

I asked my EE1 teacher about paradigms, and she said it's "pattern", not "model". You have to find economic/philo/etc IDEAs that are SIMILIAR in two texts and integrate that (somehow) into RFTG.

= Jennifer =

HSC
guys, you have helped me so much with paradigms we never did them when we studied rtfg i just thought it was another word in the syllabus..thanks heaps

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You should check out my "IMPORTANT: Paradigm offering". Might be of more use.

EDIT: IMPORTANT: Paradigm offering has been merged with this thread. The links are up above.

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
hmmm my comp doesnt wanna let me open the page! waaah! (then again, its an old screwed up piece of shit so im not surprised)

can anyone maybe just copy-paste everything it says into an email for me? (dont add it as an attachment - my comp will reset itself if i try and open an attachment - and yes, that IS my eyes you can hear rolling!)

iwould be SOOOOOOOO grateful if somebody could :(

thanx guys! and good luck! :D:D

Edit: email address removed cuz too many weird ppl have been adding me to msn lately - plus iv already got what i wanted (thanks atotoi!!) :D:D:D

Last edited:

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Can't copy and paste because its as jpeg (digital camera images). Try right clicking and saving link as.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)