Road not taken or Journey to the interior (1 Viewer)

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
Which would be better, I have good notes from my teacher on both.
THanks

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
it depends on a whole heap of things

what focus your doing [imag,inner,physical]
{EDIT sorry i didnt read your post properly. Journey to the interior is great for imaginative journeys, the road not taken is really only applicable to physical journeys.]

what you core and otherrelated texts are. remember you need a variety of texts

and most importantly what fits your arguement. what are you trying to argue and which text fits better.

you need to make this choice, as it comes down to how well you can write about it

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Journey to the Interior is retarded and should be avoided at all costs.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As l-mercedes-l says, it depends on your focus, as well as your other chosen texts. Ask yourself which one contributes best to what you are attempting to argue.
Also, it is a decision of personal choice. Choose the text you feel most comfortanble writing about. No point talking about a text you dont like.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Rafy said:
No point talking about a text you dont like.
Well that makes things a bit difficult doesn't it?
If I had followed your advice in '05, I would have written nothing about Clueless or Antony and Cleopatra, not to mention the Skryznecki poetry. Big problem!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The BOS text you chose depends what your prescribed texts our and any other texts that you may be using. Also could you tell use wether you are doing Journey type you are doing?

Journey to the interior is a much more complex text but if you are able to communicate its ideas and understand the text it can pay off.

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
RE: The quest for a stimulus text.

I chose "Journey to the Interior" by Margaret Attwood for my stimulus material in 2004.

I found that the majority of people wrote about Frost's "The Road Not Taken". I suggest you pick "Journey to the Interior", although it is more complex than Frost's text. If you can make your work stand out amongst the rest of the state of NSW, then you are looking at higher grades.

... But remember: use your techniques, show how the writer expresses his/her ideas, and most of all LINK BACK to JOURNEYS. Focus on your journey area, whether physical, emotional or imaginative!

Good Luck

Bobby 2004. :rolleyes:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
as mentioned above it depends on which text you are more comfortable writing about.

BUT here are some things you may like to consider:

- Journey to the Interior is a FANTASTIC piece to write about if you are studying imaginative journeys.
HOWEVER it is an extremely complex piece which explores journeys on multiple levels (theres a thread dedicated to just it somehwere where i have labelled all these, i suggest you do a search to find it)

-The Road Not Taken is much easier to understand and shows a display of poetic technique, and may be easily related to context
HOWEVER it is an extremely popular piece amongst HSC students and you would probably have to explore it in depth and produce a highly complex analysis on it in order to make your response stand out from the other students who choose it.

- If you are planning on writing an integrated response, i suggest you choose the text which you think may fit in the best with your other pieces of stimulus (you may not be able to do this until a bit later when you are sure on the pieces of stimulus you will use)

- if you are confident that you like both, another option may be to keep both and then choose on to talk about when you get into the exam. (one may fit the question better)

- Just a tip, before you choose, sit down and go through, and analyse the poems yourself. you may have fantastic teacher notes, but no point if you cant translate them yourself in your own response.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
You have to choose a text which ucan link to the area of study u are doing... ie physical jounys.... spiritual etc etc... u can't do the road not taken ifit does match ur focusarea andwhere all the focus of urother texts lie... u have to be able to connect andjoin all ur texts together

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Estel said:
Well that makes things a bit difficult doesn't it?
If I had followed your advice in '05, I would have written nothing about Clueless or Antony and Cleopatra, not to mention the Skryznecki poetry. Big problem!
LOL!! u did the exact same texts as i did! omg! =O
yea they r such bores.
but i thot the two poems r totally diff journeys?? frost = phyiscal, interior = imaginative

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
mitsui said:
LOL!! u did the exact same texts as i did! omg! =O
yea they r such bores.
but i thot the two poems r totally diff journeys?? frost = phyiscal, interior = imaginative
all texts that are in the stimulus booklet are applicable to all of the focus areas of the journey and if you had to outline what types of journey were nevident in the pieces you would have to mention that they show physical, imaginative and inner.

having said that, some are more appropriate for certain focus areas, for these two poems in particular, the atwood poem is probably best suited to inner and imaginative. (as i said though if needed it can be applied to physical too)

whereas the frost, can be applied to all three fittingly.

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
if you're doing poetry for your main text, don't use another poem in the stimulus booklet - mix it up!

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
don't forget u have to link the poem to other texts... so make sure it can be linked to others!

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
DO NOT choose Road not taken, its by far the most common stimulus text used by HSC students.
Thats not saying that you cant get good marks with it, it only means you will really have to tear apart the text and look at it in ways that most would not.

If your not prepared to do that much work in a 40 minute essay when you have to also have to talk about 2 other texts and maybe compare them in some way, then don't do it.

Use Road not taken at your own risk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)