Roll call for those trying to transfer to USyd/UNSW Law this year (1 Viewer)

diligent

HSC
N/A
For future reference these were the number of places offered in combined law by USyd and UNSW including transfers:

Round _________Usyd ___ UNSW
Main round:_____ 258 ___ 245
Early Feb round:__24 ____ 28

Last edited:

sumdumKent

HSC
Hi everyone. It is re-assuring to hear of all your successes but there is still one thing troubling me.
I am doing a commerce degree at UNSW currently (first year), rather than a Commerce/ Law degree at ANU or UTS, due to the fact that there is a guaranteed position into a combined law degree in 2012 if we are to achieve at Mid point credit average (70 WAM).
I am wondering if this "guarantee" is true and whether or not internal and external transfers are weighted the same at UNSW?

Please help eeeekkkkk!!!

2MaLuv

HSC
wow! this thread has been quite useful to me since i just finished my hsc, want to get into usyd law but didnt get enough marks and i want to transfer there after first year.... :)
Im thinking of going to UWS and do combined law there for a year and then transfer... what do you think? Is a distinction average enough if i only got 91 ATAR? :/
I really want to graduate from USYD law :(

milomarc93

HSC
For future reference these were the number of places offered in combined law by USyd and UNSW including transfers:

Round _________Usyd ___ UNSW
Main round:_____ 258 ___ 245
Early Feb round:__24 ____ 28
Of the 260 odd spots at Usyd, roughly how many would you estimate to be transfers? Does that mean that UNSW offers roughly 150 main round spots, if we take the 100 places they guarantee for transfers out?

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
defs gnna keep an eye on this thread because I'm trying to get in as well but I had a monumental fuck up and only got 90.70 for my ATAR.

If I'm trying for UNSW, will a distinction avg. still be enough? And whats this about different merits also being taken into account? is that like, cocurricular stuff?

student6625

HSC
Any people attempting a transfer this year? Just about 20 hours to go. Let us know how you went and your ATAR+GPA/WAM. Good luck!
Yep! Just over 5 hours to go! Are you planning to transfer as well, alstah?

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Any people attempting a transfer this year? Just about 20 hours to go. Let us know how you went and your ATAR+GPA/WAM. Good luck!
yeah i got an offer. 98.00 atar and 6.0 gpa.. i dont think i wouldve made it in previous years though (even though atar cut off is the same)

good luck!

Reyus

HSC
yeah i got an offer. 98.00 atar and 6.0 gpa.. i dont think i wouldve made it in previous years though (even though atar cut off is the same)

good luck!
Did you get into UNSW law or USyd law?

I got into USyd combined law with an 99+ ATAR and 6+ GPA, but i didn't get into UNSW law which was my first preference. I find it astonishing that the grade requirements for UNSW law was higher than USyd external transfers. Has anyone gotten into unsw law (external transfer) and if so, what was your atar and gpa?

Reyus

HSC
Yay! Transferred to physiotherapy @ usyd, from exercise + sport science, with an ATAR of 96.3 and WAM of 91... now to wait to see if any of my friends made it :/
Wait, did you transfer into physiotherapy or from physiotherapy (to law)?

pasta8

HSC
oh rats! read the title wrong, my bad ^^^^ anyway congrats to all the people who transferred to what they wanted too

student6625

HSC
Got an offer for USyd Combined Law as well! 99.15 ATAR and 6.75 GPA. Congrats to all those who made it into their desired courses!

student6625

HSC
Did you get into UNSW law or USyd law?

I got into USyd combined law with an 99+ ATAR and 6+ GPA, but i didn't get into UNSW law which was my first preference. I find it astonishing that the grade requirements for UNSW law was higher than USyd external transfers. Has anyone gotten into unsw law (external transfer) and if so, what was your atar and gpa?
@Reyus: Congratulations on your offer! Can I just ask where you found the grade requirements? Are they just for external transfer or both internal and external? Thanks.

Reyus

HSC
@Reyus: Congratulations on your offer! Can I just ask where you found the grade requirements? Are they just for external transfer or both internal and external? Thanks.
There are no grade requirements for external transfers - it's simply demand and supply. If there are a lot of people who want to transfer into law, then the cutoff grade (calculated by 50% GPA and 50% WAM) gets higher - thus its harder for people to transfer. I don't believe there are any published entry requirements for transfers, it's all just guesswork for students on how competitive entry will be for this year.

student6625

HSC
There are no grade requirements for external transfers - it's simply demand and supply. If there are a lot of people who want to transfer into law, then the cutoff grade (calculated by 50% GPA and 50% WAM) gets higher - thus its harder for people to transfer. I don't believe there are any published entry requirements for transfers, it's all just guesswork for students on how competitive entry will be for this year.
Alright cool, thanks for that.

Reyus

HSC
I think UNSW external transfer is difficult now because they are guaranteeing 100 internal first year transfers which means they have an extremely limited external transfer quota.
Yeah i thought that might be at first, but this new system is taking place for next years transfers (in 2013). It is not yet in place.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah i thought that might be at first, but this new system is taking place for next years transfers (in 2013). It is not yet in place.
Regardless, USyd is an exceptional Law school. =]

Reyus

HSC
Regardless, USyd is an exceptional Law school. =]
I know that Sydney University is a good law school. However I have already completed two years worth of commerce subjects at another university and if I were to transfer i would only be able to get credit for a years worth of study. Thus i would essentially be wasting a whole year - which I would really regret as i have put alot of effort into my studies. The dilemma!

Last edited:

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
are cutoffs for NRSL's the same as that of 2011 HSC kids? Like are transferees ranked together with them? Just spoke to the undergrad admissions office about law at UNSW and they said it WAS the same this year, i.e. 99.65. Someone tell me I've been told the wrong information.

hui_ru

HSC
I have a 2012 ATAR of 97.85 and am going to be taking international and global studies at usyd.
I really want to try and transfer into international/law at usyd next year.
What are my chances looking like, and what kind of GPA/WAM should I be aiming for?

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)