Roll call for those trying to transfer to USyd/UNSW Law this year (1 Viewer)

student6625

HSC
I have a 2012 ATAR of 97.85 and am going to be taking international and global studies at usyd.
I really want to try and transfer into international/law at usyd next year.
What are my chances looking like, and what kind of GPA/WAM should I be aiming for?

:)

Although the requirements for ATAR/GPA change every year, you'll realistically need to be looking at a GPA of around 6.2ish (which is about a mid-Distinction average) to have a good chance of securing yourself a spot in Combined Law. Anything lower than that and it would be really hard to say. If you're lucky then you might get in, but if the competition is intense for that year then you won't be as competitive as some of the other candidates with 98 or 99+ATARs (which there are lots of) and roughtly the same GPA as you.

sydneyitee

HSC
hi,

so i'm planning to transfer into combined law at usyd for 2013 and am taking commerce at usyd (but my ATAR is decent and i'm quite confident that i can get a high enough GPA to transfer). should i be choosing subjects that will mesh with law or just do whatever i want with my commerce degree for the first and second semesters?

student6625

HSC
hi,

so i'm planning to transfer into combined law at usyd for 2013 and am taking commerce at usyd (but my ATAR is decent and i'm quite confident that i can get a high enough GPA to transfer). should i be choosing subjects that will mesh with law or just do whatever i want with my commerce degree for the first and second semesters?
I think you can just do whatever you want with your degree. Second year transferees have to take a designated set of law subjects which have nothing to do with any other degrees. I transferred into law in my second year and didn't take any law-related subjects for my first degree. You'll be okay doing whatever units that interest you, don't worry about the law component so much right now.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
I was hoping to get into Commerce/Law at UNSW this year however my school stuffed up the academic achivement award because they gave it out before ATAR's were released. I got an ATAR of 98.45 which would have secured me a position with the bonus points from the award, however they gave it to another person with an atar of 94.25. It was kind of devastating for me because the person they gave it to didn't even want to go to UNSW :(

Im hoping to transfer to UNSW or Usyd Comm/Law - with an ATAR of 98.45, what results would I have to get in my current degree (Commerce at UNSW) to get an offer at either of these universities?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I was hoping to get into Commerce/Law at UNSW this year however my school stuffed up the academic achivement award because they gave it out before ATAR's were released. I got an ATAR of 98.45 which would have secured me a position with the bonus points from the award, however they gave it to another person with an atar of 94.25. It was kind of devastating for me because the person they gave it to didn't even want to go to UNSW :(

Im hoping to transfer to UNSW or Usyd Comm/Law - with an ATAR of 98.45, what results would I have to get in my current degree (Commerce at UNSW) to get an offer at either of these universities?
I think minimum WAM of 80 since ATAR has been scrapped.

sydneyitee

HSC
i was just wondering, how do they calculate a gpa? i'm at usyd but only get given a wam. however usyd's law requires a gpa

so i heard they calculate the gpa through mark 'brackets' so if you get an HD you get 7, D - 6 and so on..
but do they take into consideration that some unis have different brackets for their marks? like for some unis 70 is a D??
and also isn't that grossly unfair because a 75 and an 84 would get into the same bracket and both contribute a 7 towards your gpa?

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)