rome total war (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've been playing Medieval:Total war recently and found that i enjoyed it to a point. The game is awesome however i must say that i am getting quite bored with the few options i have. I really enjoy strategy games however as the game progresses no new options open up and i am left wondering if i should finish or just go study (ahaha that'll be the day) anyway i am tossing up between two options at the moment rather than leech off poor friends like usual. I'm going to buy a game soon and it's either going to be Rome:total war or Black & White 2. in your opinion do you think Rome is a huge step above it's predecesor? are many new option available than divide and conquer?

Götterfunken

HSC
psychosuperfly said:
I've been playing Medieval:Total war recently and found that i enjoyed it to a point. The game is awesome however i must say that i am getting quite bored with the few options i have. I really enjoy strategy games however as the game progresses no new options open up and i am left wondering if i should finish or just go study (ahaha that'll be the day) anyway i am tossing up between two options at the moment rather than leech off poor friends like usual. I'm going to buy a game soon and it's either going to be Rome:total war or Black & White 2. in your opinion do you think Rome is a huge step above it's predecesor? are many new option available than divide and conquer?
I haven't played Medieval: Total War, but from what I've heard R:TW defiantly an improvement over it, and an expansion pack is planned. What I like about it so much is that it’s essential two different games; A Civilisation like Empire builder, and a RTS like combat-sim.

Plus the subject matter is just so cool.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rometotalwar/index.html?q=total+war
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/medievaltotalwar/index.html?q=total+war

PrimeTime

HSC
RTW is a very addictive game if you're into it. Its quite amazing to watch your troops assemble and fight on a large-scale in real time :).

If I could compare it to something, its like watching the first battle scene of the film 'Gladiator' over and over again.

hipPo3

HSC
RTw is awesome .. the only thing i dont like is that is practicallu impossible to pwn if u choose Parthia .. they have shit-ass men nomatter how much u can outnumber ...

i really like the battle-field simulation .. awesome 9/10 (IMO) .. it does get a tad boring and annoying after u meet up with the Romans .. they arent any fun :p

P

pLuvia

hahaha nar parthia are ok if you know how to use them correctly.. :p

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I have Medieval and would get Rome provided my computer was able to support it. Was playing Rome yesterday at friend's place and loved it. The battle music, the individual shouts of men as you select their untis...the game is just gold.

It's especially good if you're a sucker for history, and although the game isn't entirely historically accurate it still strikes a chord inside you. The various levels of emotion experienced as the music pumps out as your untested soldiers march towards the enemy, the first time the enemy routs and of course the first time you get an enemy unit of archers in the back with a cavalry charge. I would say comparable to falling in love, if not better.

You begin to develop emotional attatchments to the men on the field, lamenting their losses.

Probably the best improvement over Medieval is the in-battle dialogue of the soldiers. In medieval, everyone spoke either latin or arabic which, while sounding cool, couldn't be understood and when fighting all you would hear were bizarre screams and the clunking of weapons. In Rome, eveybody speaks English with a stereotypical accent of where they come from geographically, which is great, especially if you move to a unit of routing men screaming "Run for your lives!" as cavalry quickly appraoch them from the rear. Also, have to love the pre-battle rallying the general gives.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I played medieval for about 5 minutes then got the shits cause I cbf figuring out how it actually works.

hipPo3

HSC
kadlil said:
hahaha nar parthia are ok if you know how to use them correctly.. :p
exactly .. i dont know how to use em .. they have shit economy and shit warriors ..
i had to try and buy out cities instead of fighting them .. was the only way i could stay alive.

P

pLuvia

the only bad thing about this game is, it just feels like it lag and the graphics aren't all that great, maybe because of my computer :p i find it hard to control units even though it selects the whole group lol

Götterfunken

HSC
hipPo3 said:
exactly .. i dont know how to use em .. they have shit economy and shit warriors ..
i had to try and buy out cities instead of fighting them .. was the only way i could stay alive.
The problem with that tactic is it often leads to riots and general discontent, which leads to civil revolts, so you end up back where you started. If you siege the city, and take it over via force you have the option of executing most the population, which helps keep down civil unrest.

I think one of the easiest faction is the Brutii, they are in a great position to make lots of money through trade, even though they have to fight against Macedonia and the Greek cities, which use their infernal phalanxes against you. Whatever faction you pick, try and get as many port cities as possible, and try extra hard to capture Carthage. It has the potential to be a very useful city.

In any case it depends on what type of general you are—i.e. what types of troops you like to use. I strongly prefer infantry, and have honed my tactics, such as they are, to their use. As a result my armies only often have a token cavalry (mostly for counter flanking operations and some clean up towards the end of the battle), and archer contingent. Your preference into unit types will also direct what faction you pick, obviously.

I ‘acquired’ the new expansion pack, Barbarian Invasion, and I don’t like it much. The presence of Christians (and without the option to feed them to lions in the Colosseum) and Christianity, in the ten minutes I’ve played it, makes religion more difficult, as to the barbarian ‘hordes’ which are essential huge mobile armies that make up a whole civilisation; their goal is usually to take over your cities and make it their new home. Plus I’ve never been a big fan of the concept of West and East Roman Empires, but that’s another story.

X

xeuyrawp

I love RTW soooo much. Clearly the Greeks are the most powerful race if you concentrate during the battles.

The game wouldn't work for about a month. After having a mental breakdown, I formatted my entire computer and it works again.

I haven't tried the expansion pack, but I think I might.

X

xeuyrawp

Demandred said:
Bloody barbarians, takes 10x harder to kill now.
I'm sure a flaming one-tonne boulder slammed on their heads kills one or two. :D

I'm dling the game now.

Demandred

HSC
If you knock out their last province, they use the horde option - basically their whole population turn themselves into soldiers, usually about 4 full stacks, ranging from peasants to heavy infantry. Usually takes about another 10 turns to hunt these guys down.

Western Roman Empire is damn hard :/

hipPo3

HSC
Götterfunken said:
The problem with that tactic is it often leads to riots and general discontent, which leads to civil revolts, so you end up back where you started. If you siege the city, and take it over via force you have the option of executing most the population, which helps keep down civil unrest.

I think one of the easiest faction is the Brutii, they are in a great position to make lots of money through trade, even though they have to fight against Macedonia and the Greek cities, which use their infernal phalanxes against you. Whatever faction you pick, try and get as many port cities as possible, and try extra hard to capture Carthage. It has the potential to be a very useful city.

In any case it depends on what type of general you are—i.e. what types of troops you like to use. I strongly prefer infantry, and have honed my tactics, such as they are, to their use. As a result my armies only often have a token cavalry (mostly for counter flanking operations and some clean up towards the end of the battle), and archer contingent. Your preference into unit types will also direct what faction you pick, obviously.

I ‘acquired’ the new expansion pack, Barbarian Invasion, and I don’t like it much. The presence of Christians (and without the option to feed them to lions in the Colosseum) and Christianity, in the ten minutes I’ve played it, makes religion more difficult, as to the barbarian ‘hordes’ which are essential huge mobile armies that make up a whole civilisation; their goal is usually to take over your cities and make it their new home. Plus I’ve never been a big fan of the concept of West and East Roman Empires, but that’s another story.
personnally i find using the Romans is a form of a cheat .. the first time i played i picked house of Brutii and fully owned Rome .. i destroyed Scipii and Julli easily even though Scippi conqured practiacally all of Libya and some parts of Egypt

The hardest faction to ever play would be the parthians. Thier troops sux big balls .. they have practically shit moral even though the could overwhelm thier enemies. Once they get broken they flee like pussies. Also Parthians have jack shit economy, and no ports .. they have no hope to trade

No-one in thier right mind would buy out a city without having some troops nearby .. it helps controll the riots and discomforts with the poeple.

Brutii is probably the best faction ... but the best (non-Roman) would be the Greek cities .. if u know how to use em they will slaughter thier enemies.. The phalanx is a deadly tactic

oh .. and the funniest thing i have ever witnessed in the game are with elephants... best way to kill em is with pezzies .. get like 3 groups of 120 = 360 !!! men .. use these and nomatter how many elephants thier are u will always outnumber them and pwn them .. its true !!

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
i played it for 10mins and thought it sucked :\
i actually think its one of the worst games ever, the camera controls are terrible and like one horse just tramples over all the infantry in my opinion. i dont see how it got 97% or whatever it got from some magazine.
i got the game as a gift from my parents and i feel bad for not playing it, but really it sucks in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)