Rote Learning - How? (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
How do you effectively rote learn? I've done digital notes then attempted to rewrite them on paper but when I come back to them a month later, they're mostly gone from my memory. There was something about how your brain retains information every 10 minutes, 60 minutes etc... but I don't get that.

How do you all rote learn for bio?

Flop21

HSC
Yeah, there's specific times you gotta recall the info so it gets stuck in your long-term memory instead of your short-term memory. Otherwise, you forget it.

I've written up digital flash cards on a program that knows these specific times. And I actually know every syllabus dot point now lol (probably only subject I did reasonable well in the trials).

I'll probably sell them end of HSC, because I truly believe that this is the best method ever and wish I started during start of HSC.

Main structure would be, learn the point off by heart firstly, get it wrong, come back in a minute. Repeat until you remember it well, then come back to that point in 10 minutes time. If you remember it again fine, come back to it in a day. If not, come back in another minute until to get it well. Then recall it in a day. By now, it should be pretty well into your long-term memory. To concrete it, come back to it every 5-7 days.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In current thinking in western countries, rote learning = bad. But I feel such thinking is simplistic and flawed. Rote leaning ought to have a place among our learning strategies. Certain fields of study are better achieved by rote learning or in conjunction with rote learning. I have observed how many of my weaker students struggle to remember the exact values of the sine, cosine and tangent of the 5 angles 0 to 90 degrees. Only 15 values to remember and they struggle!

I have noticed a very poor (impaired) ability of kids nowadays to memorise and to recall things. In traditional learning, still practised to a considerable degree in Asia, people are good at remembering thing and I believe this helps them in their learning.

By the way: to remember things, it's a good idea to write down a number of times (until you have 'mastered it') the things or passage you wish to memorise, trying each time to do so by recall rather than by looking at the material every time; look at the material only when you are unable to recall.

Last edited:

teridax

HSC
N/A
Rote learning is good.

Once you have rote learned something, you find you can understand it better.
But you don't necessarily need rote learning to come to a greater understanding in every situation though. There are also instances in which grasping certain ideas don't require rote learning.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I've read that rote learning is quite effective for biology. My plan is to transfer each dotpoint into a program called Quizlet and try Flop's idea. I used it a bit during trials to remember certain things and it worked well. I think it also allows spaced repetition.

Flop21

HSC
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I've read that rote learning is quite effective for biology. My plan is to transfer each dotpoint into a program called Quizlet and try Flop's idea. I used it a bit during trials to remember certain things and it worked well. I think it also allows spaced repetition.
Start now ASAP, it takes ages. Both to make them and to memorise.

buriza

conviction
HSC
How do you effectively rote learn? I've done digital notes then attempted to rewrite them on paper but when I come back to them a month later, they're mostly gone from my memory. There was something about how your brain retains information every 10 minutes, 60 minutes etc... but I don't get that.

How do you all rote learn for bio?
Try coming back to it every week instead of every month, it might work better that way. Also find other various ways to help implement it into your memory, like diagrams, mind maps, etc. Visual stimuli can really help for some people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)