Rudd-Gillard Labor Government: What went wrong? (1 Viewer)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Labor Government has been kicked from office after only 5 years 10 months in power.

A government that came to power with so much promise has undoubtedly squandered it.

Where and why do you think it went wrong?

They in the end essentially kicked themselves from office. It is an instructive lesson in the notion that disunity is death. After years of infighting and leadership intrigue they forfeited the right to govern.

They also entirely underestimated and misunderstood Tony Abbott. They thought he was an unelectable, undisciplined and gaffe prone simpleton who would be easily dispatched. He exposed the fallacy of this view. Whilst Labor takes much the blame for the result, credit has to go to Abbott for running an amazingly effective opposition.

I don't think history will treat Rudd well. His personal temperament by his colleagues admission was chaotic. The government tried to do too much and as a result achieved very little. This is especially so in Rudd's case. A lot of hyperbolic talk and grand visions but they could never hope to meet the expectations they themselves created. (On a sidenote I think Abbott will be much more successful because he has set achievable, realistic goals for his government)

Gillard on the other hand will be remembered as a good administrator who tried to make the best of a tough situation. This despite the self inflicted damage she did which does need to be acknowledged. She wasn't any good at the politics.

People also took Rudd's 'popularity' the wrong way. In the end the electorate don't want a soap opera. He was media obsessed but the electorate just wants somebody who will put their head down and get on with the job. They don't want a rock star, they want a no fuss, competent administration.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
All hail Clive.
I want to go on Titanic 2 and go to Jurassic Park.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
kevin rudd happened

it's simple, really

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
I don't think they should have come into power in the first place.

._.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
gilard happened it all went downhill from there...
I think it would have turned out quite differently for her if Rudd left parliament in 2010.

(I agree with funkshen)

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It was all the infighting and bickering 'behind the scenes'.

If you have someone like Rudd trying to sabotage the Government, where does the public's confidence come from?

If you didn't have the shenanigans which typified the Labor Government of the past six years, the election would have been very close.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Kevin Rudd is not the villain everybody claims. The villain is Julia Gillard who was incompetent when it came to economics. You don't grow the economy by introducing a great big new tax on everything. The carbon tax was very toxic. Julia Gillard lurched massively to the left when it came to the environment/ economy and introduced the worlds biggest carbon tax at the behest of the Greens. She should not have sold her soul and the ALP's soul to the Greens. Julia Gillard was Australia's worst Prime Minister over the past thirty years. Before she was politically executed she got only 43 per cent of the 2 party vote for the Australian Labor Party and would have lost 40 seats. Julia Gillard in 2013 was a failed Prime Minister of Australia before she was replaced by Kevin Rudd. I want to congratulate you Kevin Rudd and Australian Labor party for mitigating the risk of a total wipe out at the federal election which could have resulted in Labor being out of power for 16 years.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Kevin Rudd is not the villain everybody claims. The villain is Julia Gillard who was incompetent when it came to economics. You don't grow the economy by introducing a great big new tax on everything. The carbon tax was very toxic. Julia Gillard lurched massively to the left when it came to the environment/ economy and introduced the worlds biggest carbon tax at the behest of the Greens. She should not have sold her soul and the ALP's soul to the Greens. Julia Gillard was Australia's worst Prime Minister over the past thirty years. Before she was politically executed she got only 43 per cent of the 2 party vote for the Australian Labor Party and would have lost 40 seats. Julia Gillard in 2013 was a failed Prime Minister of Australia before she was replaced by Kevin Rudd. I want to congratulate you Kevin Rudd and Australian Labor party for mitigating the risk of a total wipe out at the federal election which could have resulted in Labor being out of power for 16 years.
BUT the reason she intro'd the C Tax was because she needed Greens support to form government, which wouldn't have happened if the party was elected out-right by the Australian public, which would have happened if not for KRudd's poor self-management and fighting within the party.
The left and right factions are really pulling Labor apart, which you don't see as much in the LNP because they're all crazy, or separated by the whole "we're Libs and we're Nash, we don't have to agree on everything" which Labor doesn't really have.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with funkshen and Rafy. Having Rudd back briefly re-enforced for me what an awful leader he is. And if he had of had his chance in 2010 and he campaigned then like he did now I think he would have lost

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad
-Lack of unity
-Faceless men
-Forming dodgy govt
Nuff said.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
BUT the reason she intro'd the C Tax was because she needed Greens support to form government, which wouldn't have happened if the party was elected out-right by the Australian public, which would have happened if not for KRudd's poor self-management and fighting within the party.
The left and right factions are really pulling Labor apart, which you don't see as much in the LNP because they're all crazy, or separated by the whole "we're Libs and we're Nash, we don't have to agree on everything" which Labor doesn't really have.
Gillard is an idiot. Gillard should have known that Greens always support Labor. Gillard is Australia's worst Prime Minister over the past thirty years.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Gillard is an idiot. Gillard should have known that Greens always support Labor. Gillard is Australia's worst Prime Minister over the past thirty years.
lol didn't u love her or something before

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Muhammed Morsi - borrows $40 billion from arab allies, loses $70 billion of Egypt's total assets (in six months).

He got a boner when he was talking to Gillard in the Australia visit, so I guess it has some relevancy to the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)