Sam 2004 is wrong (1 Viewer)

lexy-kate

hey i did my HSC last year ('04) and i decided i would see how accurate SAM is seeing as they used all the scaling and aligning data and peoples previous results.
but i entered in my 2004 hsc results which gave me a uai of 97.15, but in sam i only got 96.4.
i thought sam was just an estimating device for future results, not real ones. anyone know how this happens? i thought the results given were based on true data and therefore should be exact? maybe exact is asking to much, but almost a whole unit lower is a pretty significant difference.
any explanations people?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I doubt All the statistics are available for incorporation into the program. Just a couple variables missing could throw off the calculation considerably. Of course, from what I've seen it's pretty close.

repz

HSC
no one really said it was exact?
even the statistics you pointed out it sounds accurate to me

lozenger60

HSC
hey well i just did the same thing and the SAM gave me 98 instead of the 97.9 that i got. that's still pretty close though! it's a shame, the SAM told me that with those marks I would've been first in the state for french continuers when really i only managed a terrible 3rd.. hehehe..

vward05

If you haven't noticed, SAM is a load of shit! If you want to get all uptight about your UAI before you get it, looking at SAM won't help! It's supposed to be based on the scaling and shit from last year but as the bored of studies is a branch of the Board of Studies they don't have access to the proper figures and make guesses based on what the students say there marks were and what their UAI is. So of course SAM is inaccurate!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
vward05 said:
If you haven't noticed, SAM is a load of shit! If you want to get all uptight about your UAI before you get it, looking at SAM won't help! It's supposed to be based on the scaling and shit from last year but as the bored of studies is a branch of the Board of Studies they don't have access to the proper figures and make guesses based on what the students say there marks were and what their UAI is. So of course SAM is inaccurate!
Where on earth did this come from?

"bored of studies is a branch of the Board of Studies"?

We "make guesses based on what the students say"?

I don't think you could be more wrong.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
vward05 said:

branch of the board of studies? i dunno where you heard that from but this site is no way in relation to the board of studies, it just a place where students can gain access to resources and help each other out. if it ever was i think there would be a link or at least a mension of it on the bos site !

lala2

Banned
HSC
I think what they meant to say is that boredofstudies can only produce SAM as a UAI estimator based on what real students in real life really got, and the official BOS provides these marks to the Scaling Committee to get their real UAIs, so therefore any guesswork SAM does is a 'spilloff' from BOS dealings with the Scaling Committee? :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong. Though I do agree that that particular comment was very confused

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
i put in my hsc 2005 results and received an estimated uai of 91.45.
I thought that was stupid and too high a result until i received my uai the next day and got 91.45.
So hooray- SAM was spot on.

santaslayer

HSC
I think mousepad was just getting a bit too bored and so decided to criticise something that was less than one UAI mark off. :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
SAM is not perfect at calculating your UAI. I should say estimating your UAI. It's less than perfect. :rolleyes:

HSC
even if SAM is within 2 uai I still say thats pretty fucking impressive!

A l

HSC
N/A
mousepad said:
hey i did my HSC last year ('04) and i decided i would see how accurate SAM is seeing as they used all the scaling and aligning data and peoples previous results.
but i entered in my 2004 hsc results which gave me a uai of 97.15, but in sam i only got 96.4.
i thought sam was just an estimating device for future results, not real ones. anyone know how this happens? i thought the results given were based on true data and therefore should be exact? maybe exact is asking to much, but almost a whole unit lower is a pretty significant difference.
any explanations people?
It is not a perfect device in terms of precision. The equations behind it are only estimates and there is not enough information available to work out the actual proceses.
If it was always spot on, then the Board of Studies or the Universities Admissions Centre would have been campaigning to get rid of it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
politik said:
And you base this on what? You should be happy you even have SAM.
I was just making my point that it can't be exact because it is using your results and putting them in last year's and obviously you won't get the same UAI than from what the hsc would have give you last year if you were doing it then.

Anyway, I admit that SAM is probably the best estimate you could get, I was fiddling with it the other day and it gave me higher UAI's than JUAI. :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
I was just making my point that it can't be exact because it is using your results and putting them in last year's and obviously you won't get the same UAI than from what the hsc would have give you last year if you were doing it then.

Anyway, I admit that SAM is probably the best estimate you could get, I was fiddling with it the other day and it gave me higher UAI's than JUAI. :)
i find SAM quite depressing ><*

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
why do you think ! lol
Putting your school marks in is pointless really unless they are indicative of your HSC marks, my final assessment marks gave me a mid 80's UAI on SAM, my HSC results gave me 93.90 and my UAI was 94.00, its pretty accurate when it is presented with the right material :Uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)